Review: RockShox Pike

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

I have a set up query -  I am finding my pike to be quite "harsh" at high speeds or on terrain that resembles "sink - plaat" (if that makes sense). 

Pressure is in line  in terms of sag etc. and I have no issues on medium to larger hits, rebound is currently in the middle - should I slow it down a bit? - I am on the heavier side.

Currently running two tokens as per factory.

Maybe it still needs a bit of time to break in?

Did you the tokens installed?

All the Pikes I've owned didn't have any in from the factory.

(then again it's longer travel 650B & didn't 'need to' have it installed)

Jumping on the bandwagon here. Who are the suspension wizards in JHB? Every time I have done my suspension it has had to be sent far and wide. 

My RS Revelation is in need of some TLC. 

Maybe it still needs a bit of time to break in?

Did you the tokens installed?

All the Pikes I've owned didn't have any in from the factory.

(then again it's longer travel 650B & didn't 'need to' have it installed)

I haven't added any more - the fork came with two extra

Then there shouldn't be any in the fork... 

No, I believe they come with two or three already installed - i haven't opened it to check tbh, but read it somewhere - will have a look.

Try removing a token. The ramp on 140mm travel is going to darn quick.

i have two tokens in each of my 150mm pike and 170mm lyrik. The feel of the two are vastly different, yet both have the same compression settings. Longer is always suppler, but that's because the initial portion of travel in the longer travel option operates in the low-ramp zone for the air spring. Air springs are not quite linear, so they ramp quicker.

With your lower travel fork, you will operate less in the slow ramp zone and more in the zone where the stiffness ramps quicker, hence the harsher feeling, assuming all else with the fork is in acceptable operating condition.

The following graphic demonstrates what i'm trying to explain:

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/109/photos/93477/s1600_Air_Spring_Curves.jpg

Same issue with my RCT3.  Installed an additional token to the stock one in there and eventually dropped pressures to about 20psi below what the fork sticker recommends.  Sag is at about 30% and it is starting to feel like I enjoy some small bump performance.  I still think I should rather remove the one token I put in and add a few psi.  I think I've made it too harsh.

Same issue with my RCT3.  Installed an additional token to the stock one in there and eventually dropped pressures to about 20psi below what the fork sticker recommends.  Sag is at about 30% and it is starting to feel like I enjoy some small bump performance.  I still think I should rather remove the one token I put in and add a few psi.  I think I've made it too harsh.

"made it too harsh"

Are you referring to the ramp up? Adding an extra token allows you to run less air.

- Less air will help with small bump / initial stroke

- Token will help with ramp up / bottom out

So it sound like you are on the right track. If it's feeling too harsh it could be compression? Unless of course you are refering to bottom out

Edit: Sticker is only a rough guide to get you going and most often it's too hard so don't worry too much about that. As a "one size fits all" guide it obviously does not take into account your riding style or terrain.

With a new fork I always recommend running extra sag to get it to loosen up and use full travel before resetting it again.

"made it too harsh"

Are you referring to the ramp up? Adding an extra token allows you to run less air.

- Less air will help with small bump / initial stroke

- Token will help with ramp up / bottom out

So it sound like you are on the right track. If it's feeling too harsh it could be compression? Unless of course you are refering to bottom out

Edit: Sticker is only a rough guide to get you going and most often it's too hard so don't worry too much about that. As a "one size fits all" guide it obviously does not take into account your riding style or terrain.

With a new fork I always recommend running extra sag to get it to loosen up and use full travel before resetting it again.

Ja I'm referring to compression feeling too high, but it is set rather soft.  I'm yet to bottom it out.  In fact I haven't gotten it past about 70% travel on the 160mm, despite hitting all the usual lines I ride.  Which is why I'm thinking there's too much ramp-up.

Will try running more sag to cycle through the travel better and then add some air back.  If that doesn't work for me I'm dropping a token.

Tokens dont only affect end of stroke ramp, it moves the whole curve up and to the left, which equals not only faster end stroke ramp,but entry into the zone of quick ramp as well. That latter result will make the ride harsher on the whole.

So if you leave the token count as is, drop the air pressure and if you are still diving in corners which indicates poor mid-stroke support, then the compression damping is too light.

No I am not.

I'd drop the pressure in 5 psi increments until you start using the full travel. Add a touch of preload if it feels too squishy on small bumps.

I don't think it has anything to do with your sag or spring curve.

Try varying your rebound. If its too slow the fork does whats known as "packing up" ie rides lower in its travel after repeat hits ie fast smaller bump compliance at speed suffers. This would explain why you are finding the fork fine on medium to bigger hits. Generally you should run your  fork rebound faster than your rear shock.

Its also impossible for any fork to completely smooth out all hits, so perhaps you need to adjust your expectations too? :-) 

I don't think it has anything to do with your sag or spring curve.

Try varying your rebound. If its too slow the fork does whats known as "packing up" ie rides lower in its travel after repeat hits ie fast smaller bump compliance at speed suffers. This would explain why you are finding the fork fine on medium to bigger hits. Generally you should run your  fork rebound faster than your rear shock.

Its also impossible for any fork to completely smooth out all hits, so perhaps you need to adjust your expectations too? :-) 

lol - yes the expectations!!! but my sense is that I need to look at my rebound first, thanks for all the input guys.