• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rip Antoine! These motos are a joke. People worry about drone safety yet allow some noob on a 250kg sledge hammer mm from cyclists.

Rip Antoine! These motos are a joke. People worry about drone safety yet allow some noob on a 250kg sledge hammer mm from cyclists.

Yeah.. and last year when a motorbike almost took out Sagan at the TDF his team manager was suspended for a day when he chucked a bottle at the moto and then when Sagan was taken out by one during the Vuelta and he punched the medical car out of frustration he was fined.

I won't be surprised if they have another sit because of this.

They should.. the riders should make a big statement. . And do it at a big race and there are a couple very big ones coming up.

It was an accident yes, but because there have been so many incidents involving motorbikes/cars it has now come to a point were action has to be taken. And I for one would rather see the riders refuse to ride RVV or Roubaix than see another incident involving a motorbike or car.

I won't be surprised if they have another sit because of this.

That'll be a great response.

That's simply awful.

I would be happy with camera work not as up close if it means less vehicles amongst the cyclists. This is totally unacceptable. So many accidents and and now a death. You could see it coming for years.

As you say Gen. When Sagan got taken out he was fined. A flipping joke. And let's not forget the chaos caused by that Shimano neutral service vehicle last year.

Seems it was an unfortunate accident:

"Antoine Demoitié’s death in Belgium’s Gent-Wevelgem classic Sunday was an “unfortunate accident,” said one journalist who was at the race. Those close to the Belgian cyclist say that a race motorbike driver was experienced and could not avoid the fallen rider."

"Antoine Demoitié’s death in Belgium’s Gent-Wevelgem classic Sunday was an “unfortunate accident,” said one journalist who was at the race. Those close to the Belgian cyclist say that a race motorbike driver was experienced and could not avoid the fallen rider."

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/03/news/journalist-moto-driver-couldnt-avoid-demoitie_400022#34UJHBvvsVoEUjh2.99

They are all unfortunate accidents. .

The motorbikes are just too close to the riders... not nearly enough space or time to avoid such incidents.

Telling you Bulls and their partner are onto something with how Sahm filed the epic.. they need to start looking at alternative means of photographing and broadcasting the races.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/03/news/journalist-moto-driver-couldnt-avoid-demoitie_400022#34UJHBvvsVoEUjh2.99

Coming from a journalist I find the statement questionable. If said biker ran over the cyclist he must've been behind the cyclist. What value does television pictures actually add when taken from behind the cyclist? And then, what value does a close up picture from behind add?

If he had no time to avoid the cyclist, considering that the cyclist is forward moving and will slide forwards when falling, he must've been very very close or going faster than the cyclist. Unless the accident of course played out very differently. I stand corrected not having witnessed the scene.

Anything can happen over 6 hours of racing at 243 kms.

In q blink, literally.

Whoever is responsible has to set up far safer conditions for racing.

It's one of the biggest one day races next weekend - Ronde' - with a course closer to 260 kms.

Imagine what the riders must be thinking and feeling whilst racing with motorbikes circling them, knowing one of them died this past weekend.

Wanty-Groupe Gobert refuse to blame moto driver for death of Antoine Demoitié

Article Here

“This is a tragic accident with a driver who’s been in Belgian cycling races for at least 20 years,” Wanty’s press officer, José Been, told Het Laatste Nieuws newspaper. “He is very affected by what happened, just as we all are. This is not a case of collision at high speed such as the ones with Peter Sagan or Stig Broeckx. This is a fatal accident – the man tried to brake and fell on Antoine.”

Antoine-Demoitie-2-630x420.jpg

What ever happened, who ever to blame (or not) the plain and simple tragedy is it leaves a widow alone without being able to say goodbye to her husband and a family devastated at the loss of a son, brother, cousin and nephew. 

Without the facts, we cannot pass judgement as to who erred, who was to blame, even though we have seen very risky behaviour from motos and cars in pro bike races in recent years with the media frenzy due to the increased popularity of the sport: often far too close to the cyclists, taking chance in passing etc but here it might just have been an unavoidable tragic accident with the moto driver helpless to avoid the tragic situation, as has been reported later today.

Has it ever happened to you? The unavoidable motor vehicle accident? The only three I have ever had (relatively minor) had have been such: you are in a situation where the accident is totally unavoidable, it just comes down on you and not at all your fault, an accident in the true sense of the word.

Driving like a fooking idiot and crashing your car/moto/taxi whatever and more that likely killing people (like most motor 'accidents' here in ZA) is not an accident, its an act of criminal negligence of your responsibilities imho.

They are all unfortunate accidents. .

The motorbikes are just too close to the riders... not nearly enough space or time to avoid such incidents.

Telling you Bulls and their partner are onto something with how Sahm filed the epic.. they need to start looking at alternative means of photographing and broadcasting the races.

Anything can happen over 6 hours of racing at 243 kms.

In q blink, literally.

Whoever is responsible has to set up far safer conditions for racing.

It's one of the biggest one day races next weekend - Ronde' - with a course closer to 260 kms.

Imagine what the riders must be thinking and feeling whilst racing with motorbikes circling them, knowing one of them died this past weekend.

Sagan shared the below photo of Antoine on his Facebook page and began the call for race organizers to ensure the safety of the racers while taking the time to offer his condolences to Antoine's family. It's both frustrating and sad to think that race organizers and broadcasters forget that without professional cyclists there can be no professional cycling to make money off of.

Ride In Peace Antoine!

post-51480-1459191698,4016.jpeg

Coming from a journalist I find the statement questionable. If said biker ran over the cyclist he must've been behind the cyclist. What value does television pictures actually add when taken from behind the cyclist? And then, what value does a close up picture from behind add?

If he had no time to avoid the cyclist, considering that the cyclist is forward moving and will slide forwards when falling, he must've been very very close or going faster than the cyclist. Unless the accident of course played out very differently. I stand corrected not having witnessed the scene.

I seem to remember a scene of a bike on it side around a sharp corner: maybe that was it, the bike could not brake in time, or avoid the cyclist on the ground because he could not see him, like I say we don't have the facts.

The TV bikes are up and down the race to get the relevant action, how many TV bikes are there per race? esp, there in Belgium where the sport is so popular.

Archived