Helmet Import Duties

Schnavel

I bought a LifeBeam HRM in a Lazer helmet. Duty was 25% although HRM products are duty free under tariff heading Exercise & Fitness → Performance Measuring Equipment | electronic, 9031.80.2.  Supplier used tariff 6506.10.90(0) which was correct for the helmet part.

Still, even with 25% duty the product was not available in SA and is subsequently being sold locally at 3 times my landed cost. And I no longer need to worry about chest straps or wrist bands, my HRM sensor is always in my helmet.

There is no legal way to avoid rendering under Jacob what he wants.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a LifeBeam HRM in a Lazer helmet. Duty was 25% although HRM products are duty free under tariff heading Exercise & Fitness → Performance Measuring Equipment | electronic, 9031.80.2.  Supplier used tariff 6506.10.90(0) which was correct for the helmet part.

Still, even with 25% duty the product was not available in SA and is subsequently being sold locally at 3 times my landed cost. And I no longer need to worry about chest straps or wrist bands, my HRM sensor is always in my helmet.

There is no legal way to avoid rendering under Jacob what he wants.

Remember, the HRM is part of the helmet, so we will use the tarrif of the Helmet ( because its one Unit,, and the main purpose of the product is being a Helmet). So that's why you cant split it up, even though they got their own Tarrif codes if declared separately . Just like when you import a car or TV. It will be classified as a car/tv, and not split up into 1000's little pieces.  

We use 3 things when determining a Tarrif code for goods like your helmet with the HRM In:

i) what it is;

ii) how it is made; or

iii) what it is used for.

And Because its a Helmet, we classified it under helmet. :thumbup: 

I know it's been said before, but csa /ppa or the general bike public should really be campaigning for helmets to be zero rated.

It's a safety item.

Yeah - I think a lot depends on just how it's described in the invoice. Or, at least, how the SARS rep interprets and applies the categories... 

I got them to put the appropriate code and description on the invoice...  worked fine - but the downside is any crash replacement has to be done in the UK - better to source locally for just that reason.

LEXX can you kindly send me the updated tariff book please, email it on mrsisaaks@outlook.com 

LEXX can you kindly send me the updated tariff book please, email it on mrsisaaks@outlook.com 

The link is higher up in this topic if you just browse backwards :)

Archived