Why is my carbon bike so heavy...or is it?

DoubleJ

My KTM Scarp Prime come in at 12.25 kg with Reverb stealth dropper, RS SID XX 120mm, Monarch XX, DT Swiss XR 1450 wheel set, changed the XT cassette to XTR. Will change the Shimano pedals to Look carbon trail cage and shave a couple of grams, but yes it is an expensive itch that I try to scratch every time I get back home.   

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Trance 2 27.5 Alu weighs 12.5kg with a dropper post.

I built it to 11.8kg and then added big heavy tyres and dropper post etc. and still running 2x10 with 30/42 crank :lol:

I was weighing bolts etc. etc. to get the lowest possible weight.

you will be amazed how weight can vary between even top end parts...

sounds like you got heavy wheels there. but that is plenty $$$$ but most rewarding.

XT is also not the lightest and I think your bike is good weight at that spec. XTR 987 brakes are superlight. the crank, rear Der and cassette is also very light. but now you are talking about R10k more.

Its all relative.

My dual sus has been setup for Mutli days, heavy duty 2.2 high volume WTB tyres with extra slime, 2 x 10 XTR, robust XT pedals etc. It comes in at 13.8kg Its an Epic Expert.

My HT with 1x11 XX1 Scott RC900 is 8.9kg.

Tyres can make a huge difference, I started a thread about it.

But you seem to be on light ones already.

But from your parts list, it sounds about right. You might be able to get a kilo and bit off, but that will cost you so much (XTR, different fork etc) that extra little of weight which bring reliability with it probably ourweighs the benefit of the extra kilo, especially if its your primary MTB.

Check out bikescale and weightweenies... you'd be surprised what the weight differences are.

but I hope you have deep pockets...

Its all relative.

My dual sus has been setup for Mutli days, heavy duty 2.2 high volume WTB tyres with extra slime, 2 x 10 XTR, robust XT pedals etc. It comes in at 13.8kg Its an Epic Expert.

My HT with 1x11 XX1 Scott RC900 is 8.9kg.

Tyres can make a huge difference, I started a thread about it.

But you seem to be on light ones already.

But from your parts list, it sounds about right. You might be able to get a kilo and bit off, but that will cost you so much (XTR, different fork etc) that extra little of weight which bring reliability with it probably ourweighs the benefit of the extra kilo, especially if its your primary MTB.

8.9kg...moer! That must be one of them unicycles?

I'm no pro so there's nothing that warrants XTR groupset or a new fork. I would like to look at new wheels maybe, but I'm wondering if a few thousand bucks would warrant a 200 gram drop in wheel weight... I can't think that the DT wheels are that bad/heavy? Other thing was looking at the Kelbo 1 x 10 setup maybe with an oval chain ring. I know there are a lot of weight weenie threads so I don't want to waste anyone's time with seeing how I can lighten my bike... I was just wondering how it compared to similar specked bikes.

Thanks everyone.

Here is some weight weenie **** to aspire to, bars (720mm) and stem just over 200g

They so light I have to lean onto my bars to keep them from floating upwards!post-1407-0-82716500-1453891248_thumb.jpg

The indicated 10.8kg's on the website would be without pedals, the Shimano 520's will add about another 500g.  Buying a carbon frame should not be about weight but more about the ride quality, as carbon fibre can be moulded to be more compliant in certain areas giving you a less harsh ride.

The indicated 10.8kg's on the website would be without pedals, the Shimano 520's will add about another 500g.  Buying a carbon frame should not be about weight but more about the ride quality, as carbon fibre can be moulded to be more compliant in certain areas giving you a less harsh ride.

It really is a nice ride, dropped my pressure in my tyres a bit and it feels great. At 10.8 plus pedals I don't feel that bad anymore thanks PeterF.

once you add your bottles and tools.... all of the weight is back again... just go ride your bike.

The fact is : we all ride carbon, because it looks nice... expensive... bling...

I really like carbon bikes, carbon wheels , carbon bike stuff...

Its all relative to the bike or parts in question. Too many factors to consider.

The general assumption that carbon is always lighter, stronger and better as a general rule of thumb has to be challenged. Gains between equivalent components in different materials are often only marginal when measured. Gains that the avergage joe won't necessarily benefit from or if he does, it will be either outrageously disproportionate to the additional cost thereof or its simply a a placebo affect.

Case and point?

http://www.rodbikes.com/catalog/outlaw/images/2013-outlaw1-small.jpg

This Bike. 

Its frame is made out of steel and it only weighs 6kg.

my HT lynskey pro 29er(large) 10.5 kg, my dual sus Vipa 10.7 kg(large).... so it can be done when i was riding a Scott 900 premium(medium) dual sus i got it right down to 9.8kg. 

Archived