Cape Epic Gear Ratios

Apemanscolony

Howdy Hubbers,

I need to find out a bit regarding the Absa Cape Epic.

I'm doing my first Absa Cape epic but wondering if my Bike ratios will be ok.

I'm riding a 1 x 10, with a 32 Oval in Front and 11-40 at back?

I've done the Transcape with it, with no issues,

Did the 1 x 10, 11-36 last year on the  did Pioneer and J2C 

Will it be ok?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be either,  but I am aiming to come towards the back of the pack! Will be running 11-40 with a 24/36 combo.

Chatting with one of my fitter colleagues, he will be running a 30 x 11-40 for this Epic.

Tom

There was another thread on a 1x10 using a second smaller chain ring that you could manually switch over If you have an old triple crank up front.

Short answer:

I won't be ok with that ratio's

11-40 with a 32 oval? What would you recomend?

Do u know how it looks like out there? 

I wouldn't be either,  but I am aiming to come towards the back of the pack! Will be running 11-40 with a 24/36 combo.

Chatting with one of my fitter colleagues, he will be running a 30 x 11-40 for this Epic.

Tom

Its bassically what im running.

32 Oval is like 30 on climbing, 34 on flats/downhills

There was another thread on a 1x10 using a second smaller chain ring that you could manually switch over If you have an old triple crank up front.

Was thinking on putting a 28 on in the place where my granny was. Had a 2 x 10

If you not competing with Sauser , Huber and Platt . I reckon a 11-42 (11 speed) with a 30t n/w you should be fine . Obviously you must be reasonably fit heading into an event like this 

11-40 with a 32 oval? What would you recomend?

Do u know how it looks like out there? 

A mate, relatively strong did it with 32*11-42 last year and suffered but has decided to stick with 1* this year and use a 30 Oval

Not sure if that helps you though  .....

If you did Pioneer on 11-36, 1x10, then you should be ok for Epic on 11-40.

I would just drop front ring to a 30, give yourself a bit of a bail out gear.

Gearing is very personal and relative, Jaro rode Epic on 36 front ring, some guys have done Epic on SS.

A mate, relatively strong did it with 32*11-42 last year and suffered but has decided to stick with 1* this year and use a 30 Oval

Not sure if that helps you though  .....

was looking for a 30 oval, but nobody seems to have...

I was going to do something similar. Ride with 32 ring and 11-40 cassette (10 speed) but I'm changing to 11-42 cassette and 11 speed. I rode Tankwa, Attakwas and Sabie but feel that the 42 sprocket will make a difference over 8 days. 

If you not competing with Sauser , Huber and Platt . I reckon a 11-42 (11 speed) with a 30t n/w you should be fine . Obviously you must be reasonably fit heading into an event like this 

haha dude, yeah my aim is just to enjoy and finish

I was going to do something similar. Ride with 32 ring and 11-40 cassette (10 speed) but I'm changing to 11-42 cassette and 11 speed. I rode Tankwa, Attakwas and Sabie but feel that the 42 sprocket will make a difference over 8 days. 

yeah i agree. I did do the TranscapeMTB a week ago, 7 x days and was fine. I am going to search for a 30 oval though

Archived