Cycling events for the rich only?

Friedpiggy

It comes down to the convenience offered by plug in online payment methods for the organisers.

I'm sure if you contact them they will offer you an alternative. The last thing they want to do is exclude people. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I entered with a CC, was more just curious about alternate payment methods. Nowhere during the registration process is EFT mentioned as an alternative, actually at one point it states in bold that only CC is accepted for registration.

Just found it weird is all, Also, with regards to payment at registration, why ever not. all riders need to go to the registration desk anyway, so why not offer the option of a cash payment system at registration.Especially for the shorter "fun ride" side of these events.

Honestly I think they should only request payment after I have finished the race. First offer the service then expect payment.  :ph34r:  :whistling:

So I was thinking of doing my first ever cycling event. the 45 km Tour Durban. Click on enter, fill out the 500 pages of required information and get to the pay part and notice it is credit card only. This made me wonder.

I highly doubt that everybody who cycles has a credit card. Is this a subtle way of excluding people who do not have the means to qualify for a CC from cycling events? and if it isn't, how on earth would one go about entering an event without a credit card?

Must be a Durban thing.

It comes down to the convenience offered by plug in online payment methods for the organisers.

I'm sure if you contact them they will offer you an alternative. The last thing they want to do is exclude people. 

exactly.

there are various online systems that take the hassle out of processing individual payments (for a smallish fee, of course). You can take cash, or EFT but it's a real mission trying to reconcile everything.

but in general ja, cycle races is an elitist sport

There's no doubt that being able to participate in any RECREATIONAL ACTIVITY is for the rich or middle-class.

The poor and, mostly, working-class is too busy SURVIVING, nevva mind recreating with a two wheel machine, gear and helmet that costs thousands of moola.

Slightly off the point, but somehow related.

Honestly I think they should only request payment after I have finished the race. First offer the service then expect payment.  :ph34r:  :whistling:

tell that to PnP also then

Some cyclist will be quicker on their bikes after the race than during the race

It's almost always worth clicking on random topics on Ye Olde Hub, man, some gems pop up. Conspiracy of the rich over...haha  :clap:  :thumbup:

If someone cant get/doesnt want a credit card then there is always the option of a pre-paid credit card, you load funds and use like that.

Otherwise as others have mentioned you can use most debit/cheque cards these days.

So I was thinking of doing my first ever cycling event. the 45 km Tour Durban. Click on enter, fill out the 500 pages of required information and get to the pay part and notice it is credit card only. This made me wonder.

I highly doubt that everybody who cycles has a credit card. Is this a subtle way of excluding people who do not have the means to qualify for a CC from cycling events? and if it isn't, how on earth would one go about entering an event without a credit card?

I always use my Cheque card and never have a problem

As far as I know you can direct deposit, pay at registration (most of the events), "direct transfer"thingy (redirect you to the bank log in details)

I entered with a CC, was more just curious about alternate payment methods. Nowhere during the registration process is EFT mentioned as an alternative, actually at one point it states in bold that only CC is accepted for registration.

Just found it weird is all, Also, with regards to payment at registration, why ever not. all riders need to go to the registration desk anyway, so why not offer the option of a cash payment system at registration.Especially for the shorter "fun ride" side of these events.

Unfortunately this will leave too much chance of riders pulling out and leaving events with a bunch of entries that could have been sold to other people.

Technically though, credit card payment actually allows the poorest of all people to enter races. Make no mistake, if you dont have a credit card you can be dirt poor, in fact you may even have sum total of zero Randelas to your name. However, if you have a credit card the possibility exists that you may have less than zero to your name.

no most races can be done by all but stage racing is becoming the play ground of the rich.

That's racest. 

Archived