River Rat

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hey RR, any idea how things are at Klapperkop at the moment? I drove past there on the R21 and saw that the gates were open again, but also didn't notice the booms or security.

Hey RR, any idea how things are at Klapperkop at the moment? I drove past there on the R21 and saw that the gates were open again, but also didn't notice the booms or security.

Security should be there and the guys from CSI Security are there until about 8h00 in the morning, official opening is from 7 to 17h00. I have no reason to say this but I just feel that the safety won't be great until we recreate a "rhythm " in terms of riders and security, so be careful.

Security should be there and the guys from CSI Security are there until about 8h00 in the morning, official opening is from 7 to 17h00. I have no reason to say this but I just feel that the safety won't be great until we recreate a "rhythm " in terms of riders and security, so be careful.

Thanks, that was my feeling as well unfortunately. Appreciate the feedback!

Well I guess that this answers my question...

OK2Lw2U.png

Struggling to find details do you know who they were?

Struggling to find details do you know who they were?

Unfortunately not, just saw it on Facebook.

pgzIBaS.png

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody got any updates on the safety of cycling through Klapperkop lately? I'm looking at going through Saturday or Sunday morning, on-road only.

Feedback from one of the local Facebook groups over the weekend said that it's still a no-go, do it at your own peril.

There are security vehicles in the reserve up to 9 am in the morning on weekends, this is done as a community service by Brinant, CSI and Axxon security so not guaranteed. After 9am it's not advisable to ride and after 8 am on weekdays. I am trying to arrange this on a permanent basis but it needs the involvement of the surrounding estates and it will take some time.

We (group of +-10) went through there on Saturday morning just after 7am.

Went in from Waterkloof side and out into Nelson Mandela Drive.

Place was deserted with security at the boom on the Nelson Mandela Drive side.

Would definitely not ride their on my own but saw Phillip Buys going in as we were going out.

• 3 months later...

Thanks again to everyone involved in making Klapperkop great again.

Been through there quite a few times that last 2-3months, great to see other riders/walkers/runners there as well.

Edited by Escapee..

Thanks again to everyone involved in making Klapperkop great again.

Been through there quite a few times that last 2-3months, great to see other riders/walkers/runners there as well.

That's good to hear, I've been actively avoiding the area as I've not heard any updates.

The private security companies are doing an excellent job in making the area safe so please give them a wave and a thank you as you pass through, they're doing this as a community service and don't get paid a cent.