[Event] Die Burger MTB Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

Sir Mamil, Sir Thor (Thor is my fav super hero btw...:)

I was about to tell you that pain and suffering is all in your head,...and you should just ignore that 2% of your body mass,....

....but then this happened,

post-17321-0-49147600-1468084978_thumb.png

...and I realise, it's a little bit more complicated lol!!

...so in my (unsupported) humble opinion,...please follow your gut ????????????

Edited by Brandon78

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The brain is an incredible organ - in lots of ways fantastical but also in some senses just good enough.

Today mine would not let me clip in and ride down a section of trail where I fell off giving me a huge purple sunset of a bruise on my hip last time I rode it. I've ridden more difficult sections before and since but no matter how hard I willed myself to let go and ride down the rocky piece of trail I just couldn't do it. Walked it in the end but I'll try again next time.

Sir Mamil, Sir Thor (Thor is my fav super hero btw...:)

I was about to tell you that pain and suffering is all in your head,...and you should just ignore that 2% of your body mass,....

....but then this happened,

wp_ss_20160709_0003.png

...and I realise, it's a little bit more complicated lol!!

LOL, I thought Frank was your favourite super hero. He keeps insisting I come barrel over the Lombards jump with him.

Amount of brain required to perform said jump 0%

Amount of balls required of an aged pensioner like myself 100%

LOL, I thought Frank was your favourite super hero. He keeps insisting I come barrel over the Lombards jump with him.

Amount of brain required to perform said jump 0%

Amount of balls required of an aged pensioner like myself 100%

...Frank is my "ULTRA" hero,...it's next level.

Does anyone have a Google map overlay and profile for the 30km / 15km route of the DieBurger MTB event?

I am staying in Stellenbosch myself (Dalsig neighbourhood, right above the Eikestad / Renish Primary schools) and work in Technopark for the last 10 years or so. So, I know, reasonably, all the routes for MTB and jogging in the Tegnopark and Blaauwklippen area.

It will be the first time I ride the 30km route but the (simplistic) map shared on Dirtopia / Amarider's web site does not make sense to me.

The whole 30km route is marked as "above" (well roughly, north / northwest direction of) Tegnopark and the Eerste River itself but if I look at Google Maps, there is no ways that a route, starting at Rhenish Primary, going via Van Reede Street across R44 (Adam Tas road) into Die Boord neighbourhood, going into the farmlands and still be "north" of Eerste River.

Hence my question: how reliable is the route mapping itself, as well as the profiling? Can anyone share their experience of the 30km? Is it flat? Is it gradual up and down? Jeep track? Tar? Or a mix of everything?

Does anyone have a Google map overlay and profile for the 30km / 15km route of the DieBurger MTB event?

I am staying in Stellenbosch myself (Dalsig neighbourhood, right above the Eikestad / Renish Primary schools) and work in Technopark for the last 10 years or so. So, I know, reasonably, all the routes for MTB and jogging in the Tegnopark and Blaauwklippen area.

It will be the first time I ride the 30km route but the (simplistic) map shared on Dirtopia / Amarider's web site does not make sense to me.

The whole 30km route is marked as "above" (well roughly, north / northwest direction of) Tegnopark and the Eerste River itself but if I look at Google Maps, there is no ways that a route, starting at Rhenish Primary, going via Van Reede Street across R44 (Adam Tas road) into Die Boord neighbourhood, going into the farmlands and still be "north" of Eerste River.

Hence my question: how reliable is the route mapping itself, as well as the profiling? Can anyone share their experience of the 30km? Is it flat? Is it gradual up and down? Jeep track? Tar? Or a mix of everything?

You can get a better idea from this: https://www.strava.com/activities/359296132

The map on the website looks fine to me?

But to answer your question - it is farmroads around Technopark with a bit of jeeptrack & tar thrown in between, a few rollers but no serious climbs. Very much a route for beginners and casual funriders 

Both the 30 and 50 route make it onto our farm at Vlottenburg. The 30 will turn back to Stellenbosch without much climbing.

The 50 route is still getting new bits and ST added to it, Meurant worked on it last week and this past weekend. You will be going under the R310 and under the railway line before going up the hill across from Spier. I think you will be entering neighbouring farms too so this will be a mix of single track and jeep track. 

I'll try to take pictures of what I can see has been built so far over the weekend. 

An update on my agonizing about this event:

I have decided that it was Mr J Daniels who signed me up for the 60 after all and, while standing halfway up Dorstberg yesterday trying to bring my heart rate under control, I resolved two things. 

1. I am downgrading to the 42.

2. I'm going to eat less.

Overall I think its a smart choice. I'll do the 60 next year when there's less of me to haul up the mountains.

The map on the website looks fine to me?

But to answer your question - it is farmroads around Technopark with a bit of jeeptrack & tar thrown in between, a few rollers but no serious climbs. Very much a route for beginners and casual funriders 

I disagree. It was a lot confusing since it show one branch of the Eersteriver and from that I could not deduct if the trail is next to the upper branch (closer to town) or the lower branch (closer to Tegnopark) of the Eersteriver.

Plus the fact that my workplace is right in the top corner of Tegnopark, next to the Stellenbosch gholf course and the vineyards, which has given me the opportunity to ride that part of jeep trail a lot and that was not even remotely close to the Dirtopia map.

One part of it is certainly a good climb, and the road section next to the farm houses / gholf course is full of rubbish, especially broken glasses and "dubbeldorings" that I had my doubts that Dirtopia would have riders go on that particular section because I had a lot of flat tires on that section.

Hence why I asked about the map.

Is this route open for all to ride?

Nope - 30km trail occurs on private farms, not open for public until the event itself.

If you even ride on the jeep trail between vineyards and Tegnopark (near the Stellenbosch gholf course) then the security patrols are very quick there to get you out...