[Event] Die Burger MTB Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

Some strange ones, and ones where guys obviously didnt start in their group.

Mine and my fiancees arent in there - possibly due to late entry?

Any other late entrants missing?

that should be no excuse,

i did substitution and i pay admin fee to change rider details yet results reflect rider that i substitute :thumbdown:

so can i get a refund? 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this was my MTB cherry... First event... Did the 30km... Took it slow, never thought I wouldn't make it, but really struggled at times... The inclines are usually a challenge (with me carrying a few extra kilos) but I struggled and walked and struggled and walked... The mud and loose sand was pretty challenging, but the worst were the inclines that had mud and loose sand... There I struggled immensely... That said, all in all it was fun, and I look forward to my next event... I just need to get a dual susser, as my arse was not a happy camper on that last little ST (more of a walking path) towards the end...  :clap:

that should be no excuse,

i did substitution and i pay admin fee to change rider details yet results reflect rider that i substitute :thumbdown:

so can i get a refund? 

Its only been 24 hours..... give them a chance.... i am sure they will rectify everything in due course....

So this was my MTB cherry... First event... Did the 30km... Took it slow, never thought I wouldn't make it, but really struggled at times... The inclines are usually a challenge (with me carrying a few extra kilos) but I struggled and walked and struggled and walked... The mud and loose sand was pretty challenging, but the worst were the inclines that had mud and loose sand... There I struggled immensely... That said, all in all it was fun, and I look forward to my next event... I just need to get a dual susser, as my arse was not a happy camper on that last little ST (more of a walking path) towards the end...  :clap:

Speed is your friend on those sandy and muddy inclines. Include a lot of climbing and hill sprints into your training. It will help you a lot, considering how much I improved in that area. Plan to do at least one ride every second week where you climb 400m or more in an hour ride. Helderberg Farm Red Route is an ideal training route for this. Then hit the farm roads for long rides with lots of sand. Plan to do at least 25km of this every second week also.

Then, when you feel fitter and/or have a whole day, go and ride the Welvanpas White and Black routes.

Edited by Moridin

They definetley still updating the results .. lots of people not started in correct groups , wrong tags.. etc etc.

If you have queries, just drop them email, will get sorted

I have learned a while ago to take everything i want to eat along with me. but i heard a few complaints from guys at the finish regarding the water tables on the 42 at least which wasn't that great. I only took on water at 2 of the tables. I did see one of the tables didn't have any food, or i was soo tired i didn't see any.

I always carry what I need and only stop to top up water if needed. But last year I tasted that droewors when topping up my water, so this year I stopped for some more, even though I didn't need water.

Did the 60 and made it, but my legs had no energy. My question to you is, how can there be guys starting in the b and c groups of the 60 and then push up the botmaskop climb?

Had a rough winter where there were sickness etc and training didn't happen but they have awesome seeding from when they were fitter?

Pro tip : Beer is better than brandy if you are going to booze up the night before. I actually knew that but ja, brannewyn heti brieke nie...

Speed is your friend on those sandy and muddy inclines. Include a lot of climbing and hill sprints into your training. It will help you a lot, considering how much I improved in that area. Plan to do at least one ride every second week where you climb 400m or more in an hour ride. Helderberg Farm Red Route is an ideal training route for this. Then hit the farm roads for long rides with lots of sand. Plan to do at least 25km of this every second week also.

Then, when you feel fitter and/or have a whole day, go and ride the Welvanpas White and Black routes.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I will definitely use them.

I now know that I need to do some serious leg strength training... At one point my right calf threatened to spasm, then some time later my left hamstring also threatened... Then, on the "big" climb just after the 20km mark, both my quads spasmed... ended up walking most of that hill... that said, so did many of my fellow riders...

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I will definitely use them.

I now know that I need to do some serious leg strength training... At one point my right calf threatened to spasm, then some time later my left hamstring also threatened... Then, on the "big" climb just after the 20km mark, both my quads spasmed... ended up walking most of that hill... that said, so did many of my fellow riders...

Water is you friend, prevents most cramping, remember,  if you start getting thirsty, its to late and you are already dehydrated.

I had heard so many frightening stories about the hills on the 42 before the event I went into the first 24k of the ride expecting I was going to be riding up the north face of the Eiger.

The result was that I kept waiting for them to get worse. 

I'm still daydreaming about those descents though - what an absolute blast.

I had heard so many frightening stories about the hills on the 42 before the event I went into the first 24k of the ride expecting I was going to be riding up the north face of the Eiger.

The result was that I kept waiting for them to get worse.

I'm still daydreaming about those descents though - what an absolute blast.

Perhaps you have been training really hard and Dorstberg has given rewards unto thee? Or perhaps your friends are just wusses? :whistling:

Dorstberg has done wonders for my ability to push a bike up technical climbs - I'm way better at that these days. 

Some of my friends didn't even ride the race - not mentioning any Nordic thunder gods .... :whistling:

My boy started in the L group, and said that when they hit the Bothma's Kop climb (one specific section that was quite steep), that they passed a very long line of K group riders that were walking up there. 

Edited by Moridin