Road bike wheelsets

Iceman.

I don't know, for that price you'd find a lot of different options in the carbon clinchers market and a lot more innovation in terms of widths, profiles and more. Look, I don't think there is anything wrong with them but for me AMC make some of the best Alu hoops going and that is where their skills are. 

If I'm going to look to carbon then the new mavic range is worth a look as is those Fulcrum carbons from above. Not sure what they go for though. 

Yeah I hear you. Mavic's are generally bulletproof (except when you hit the Chapmans Peak wall at 50km/h... I miss those wheels).

The Fulcrums are great (and made in the same factory as the Campys) but come in at around R28k and are not as good a looking due to them not being quite as deep a section.

Anyone tried token wheels?

There are several guys on here raving about them. Not a bad bet I'd think although the 40mm are on the heavy side.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to sound like a broken record but try the Tokens, you won't be disappointed. 

Definitely keen to try ceramics

They very nice.  I also have a set of wheels, which comes with ceramic bearings. They roll faster and are smoother.

Performance of the wheelset seems like its supercharged, particularly when I compare them to my other wheelset that doesn't come with ceramic bearings.

Sorry for the hijack.... Where can I get a set of ceramics?

Ask your LBS. I just gove them the model of the wheels and they come back with an eta and price.

38mm Chinese carbons. Been amazing since day one.

Honestly don't think I'll find better value in a road wheelset

I need to replace some rims (i broke a cheap set for the second time after a bad repair) so i am in the market and there is nothing like a positive user review to make me buy.

Can you PM me or post where you sourced yours from - I think i will be ordering soon.

The poor persons input (I can't afford fancy carbon wheels).

I've been using my stock Alex Race 28's for about 2 years, having to replace spokes every 4-5 rides (I come in heavy at around 100kg). 2 weeks ago I bought  set of Mavic Cosmic Elites, so far seem to be holding up well (I've probably done about 10 rides since then). I have noted an improvement in climbing with the new wheels.

38mm Chinese carbons. Been amazing since day one.

Honestly don't think I'll find better value in a road wheelset

Yeah, I have 50mm high quality Chinese carbon with Novatec hubs.

Use it for training 4-5 days a week, throughout the year 

Braking surface is great in the wet.

Great all-round durable hoop  :thumbup:

I've been using my stock Alex Race 28's for about 2 years, having to replace spokes every 4-5 rides (I come in heavy at around 100kg). 2 weeks ago I bought  set of Mavic Cosmic Elites, so far seem to be holding up well (I've probably done about 10 rides since then). I have noted an improvement in climbing with the new wheels.

What a brand

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

seems you made a wise choice...just dont do what i tend to do...forget i am not riding the mtb and jump over the speed bumps etc ;) ...i noticed you can jump but not more than 15 cm :)

INTENDED USE

ASTM CATEGORY 2 : road and offroad with jumps less than 15cm

For a longer longevity of the wheel, Mavic recommends that the total weight supported by the wheels doesn't exceed 120kg, bike included

ENVE hoops with DT Swiss 240s hubs, the best!

I hear you, but in fairness I have to say that I find mine struggle to get my 97kg body up the first hill at Suikerbosrand.......

I hear you, but in fairness I have to say that I find mine struggle to get my 97kg body up the first hill at Suikerbosrand.......

No way, are you saying that fancy carbon hoops don't make us faster????

ENVE hoops with DT Swiss 240s hubs, the best!

What do those go for on the open market? ;)

What do those go for on the open market? ;)

Hard to say as there's no local agent currently as far as I know

Zipps are in excess of 38 big ones at least