Exercise induced Headache

Furbz

Not a new phrase,

just curious to know if there are any other sufferers out there.

and before anyone says anything:

i drink more than enough water on a ride

i eat well on rides

etc etc

have a family history of migraines.

short rides (2hr or less) no issue, anything above 2hrs, guaranteed headache for me.

i used to pop 2 panado after long rides when the headache kicked in.

have now swapped to disprine.

ideally i would like to not take anything. but as i have to take, does anyone know which is the least toxic pain killer for a headache? 

as for long rides. every sat and sunday.

Ja, got the same issue. Long tuff ride = head ache for the remainder of the day. I eat well before and drink enough during the ride. Cooler weather seems to be better so maybe it is heat related. Somebody else had the same topic here on the Hub awhile ago.

Feel your pain.  I am not sure but can be the bright sun.  On cooler days I have not problem with headaches

Hot days hits me hard. 

Ja, got the same issue. Long tuff ride = head ache for the remainder of the day. I eat well before and drink enough during the ride. Cooler weather seems to be better so maybe it is heat related. Somebody else had the same topic here on the Hub awhile ago.

I had posted the topic a few months ago, seems quite a few guys out there get headaches after a ride, me included. I normally end up taking headache tablets. Not sure what causes it. No matter how much I drink on the ride or afterwards still get the headache. Could be the heat. Did a 100km ride this morning, no headache yet.

I suffered from the same, headache after cycling.

I don't drink coffee , but one day I went for a ride and was offered a coffe at a stop half way through.

No headache afterwards....

Doctor confirmed that the caffeine stabilised my blood preasure, so there was no sudden drop after riding.

Liquorice aparently helps as well.

I suffered from the same, headache after cycling.

I don't drink coffee , but one day I went for a ride and was offered a coffe at a stop half way through.

No headache afterwards....

Doctor confirmed that the caffeine stabilised my blood preasure, so there was no sudden drop after riding.

Liquorice aparently helps as well.

Im going to try the Liquorice, had one moerova headache yesterday after 86km. Didnt really feel that it was that hot, but later I saw that I had a lekker boere tan so old Spike did his bit to let us know its the last days of "summer". Could also be the Cramp-block capsules I used...one things for sure, they certainly dont block cramps.

Used to get them, don't anymore. What fixed it for me was proper hydration, not during the ride but rather every day.

I get a headache on my roadie bike. Right at the base of my skull. I'm 99% certain it's the body position on the bike I'm not used to. Maybe similar for you?

If it feels like babelas headache (if you know how that feels) its dehydration. I get that over a long ride even though i do take in water etc. Alot of sunblock and ALOT of electrolytes does help though.

I used to get this when I raced. Even though you think you hydrate well, you probably don't drink enough consistently for the fluids you are losing: during training and racing week in and week out. You get used to the feeling of being slightly dehydrated and thus don't feel it when you become severely dehydrated. How many litres of water do you think you are losing in 4 hours in the hot sun? How much do you replace during a ride? Do you replace electrolytes as well?

The other thing which causes headaches is the muscles in your neck. Sometimes being in a more stretched position you haven't adapted to like riding your road for the first time in ages. Tenseness while riding MTB on a rougher route than normal.

I don't get enough head, neck and back massage time

That will definitely assist as that zone is in a constant state of tension whilst rolling, with millions of vibrations

I can relate to quite a few things that are being said here. Also, I haven't done a 4 hour ride in quite a while so maybe a few of the said things added up and caused the headache.

Not a new phrase,

just curious to know if there are any other sufferers out there.

and before anyone says anything:

i drink more than enough water on a ride

i eat well on rides

etc etc

have a family history of migraines.

short rides (2hr or less) no issue, anything above 2hrs, guaranteed headache for me.

i used to pop 2 panado after long rides when the headache kicked in.

have now swapped to disprine.

ideally i would like to not take anything. but as i have to take, does anyone know which is the least toxic pain killer for a headache? 

as for long rides. every sat and sunday.

I used to get these too. It would kick in about an hour after riding and slowly get worse, and stick around for several hours. This would happen despite downing a 2.5l camelback over the course of an easyish 3 hour ride (40-50km) in the UK (so not even that hot). Sports drinks like energade (and a few other brands) didn't help. What did help was those rehydrate sachets (as someone else has already mentioned here). I don't want to sound like an advert but I could genuinely feel the headache melt away once I'd taken one of those. 

I didn't bother to look into it much more because, for one reason or another, I don't get them any more, and actually do longer rides than I used too in hotter (south african) conditions. The only things that have changed in my life since then (and therefore may be worth a try) is that I now drink coffee and my intake of refined sugars or sweetened things is basically zero. That's not to say i don't eat carbs. That's just f'ing madness. 

Archived