If a new concept store opened in your neighborhood tomorrow ??

Brickleberry

Just wanting to look into a bit of an idea here. Apart from spez who are everywhere now. If a genuinely well managed "concept " store was to open in your area , selling a specific brand of bikes and also a select few others like shimano/Oakley/ giro perhaps was too open. What would be your bike brand of choice?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really depending on the brand. I.e. GT Concept store : Definitely not, Giant : probably not. Specialized : definitely yes.

It depends what is already in your neighborhood .Where Spez has got it right is they try and protect their stores so there isn't another shop 2km down the road you have to compete with selling the same products.In Cape Town central there were 4 shops in a 2 km radius all selling Giant,which is senseless.Durbanville area is similar.To open a concept store in a neighborhood where you got to compete with other shops already selling the brand is set to fail long term.

It depends what is already in your neighborhood .Where Spez has got it right is they try and protect their stores so there isn't another shop 2km down the road you have to compete with selling the same products.In Cape Town central there were 4 shops in a 2 km radius all selling Giant,which is senseless.Durbanville area is similar.To open a concept store in a neighborhood where you got to compete with other shops already selling the brand is set to fail long term.

one of those shop's selling Giant was a really good lbs that will leave a big gap in the cycling industry. ....more specifically the riders who used to frequent them and a loss for trail and DH parts.

If a Canyon concept store opened, I think it would be well supported.

agreed they have a good range of bikes

I also think a canyon store being supplied direct would severely cut into other brands market share in South Africa . Love thier stuff and it seems everyone else does too.

Silverback is interesting. Especially with a few of their new "concept bikes"

what I like is that they cover everything from kid's bikes, commuters, beginner bikes and high end roadie and mountain bikes

Concept store, probably not.

A very good LBS carrying a few brands, and decent range of spares, parts, accessories, gloves, etc... for sure.  Even if it looked crap inside.   I dont need a fancy shop to feel better about buying bike stuff, I'm there for a reason, I want it quick, well priced, and that's it.

Concept stores across the board usually fail dismally in this regard.

Archived