Van Gaalens Shooting

fabes

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck coming up with something more stupid than what has already been said. Quite a challenge you have set for yourself.

Not quite.  It just have to be about guns and animals with cute names, then some people usually takes leave of their senses and start a meltdown in the twatterverse.  :ph34r:

A New Zealander.....

OMG.  I think that one is a nice try for a Friday thread. Enter WP and company.

Can't believe some of those comments on the FB page, makes me wonder how many people out there are actually feral and rabid. Even more unbelievably I actually replied to some of them, oh sweet baby ribracks .... 

Reckon the best way to counter the crazies in their lynch mob is to leave our own 3/4/5 star ratings. Let us do what the opposition couldn't do in parliament. 

Edit: As an side, there is a LOT of subsistence hunting and poaching for food in areas like this.
Often dogs separate for what ever reason from the pack and/or their owners, end result becoming feral animals, some even carrying disease. 

And sadly once that happens and they begin to attack livestock they lose their fear of humans, something like a small child can be seen as a target. It's a fact of rural and farm life, which is often a harsher reality than the bubble of suburban life. 

I dont know the location of VG (hence close to local centres) - but if it was known that the dogs were killing farm animals - how come the SPCA was not called in earlier or a local Vet with a dart gun ?

Coz they don't care and wouldn't respond

I am quite sure for an owner of a public establishment like this it would not have been first choice to firstly fire a firearm and secondly fire it at an animal while patrons were around. However under the circumstances he explained that the dogs would return at any time, day or night to kill his farm animals he had to act swiftly when he had the opportunity. I doubt the dogs would have accepted a more convenient appointment, like a Monday morning when there would be far less patrons around......?

There are ways of dealing with problem animals. Shooting them with a shotgun in front of guests and children was a stupid move.

Guest notmyname

There are ways of dealing with problem animals. Shooting them with a shotgun in front of guests and children was a stupid move.

Brian, have you bothered to read VG' statement?

Boom!

First Friday post.

I love the way the posters on Facebook cry foul (not fowl!) when a feral dog gets shot but screw the chickens, geese, ducks and goats - they must get eaten to save one feral dog!

Trap it. Dart it. These seem like rational ideas until you're at the coal face with a feral dog heading back for a third helping on your pets.

Guest notmyname

What do you do with a rabid feral dog after you darted it? Sending the beast to obedience school and tannie Marie se mobile doggie grooming service is going to end well.

What do you do with a rabid feral dog after you darted it? Sending the beast to obedience school and tannie Marie se mobile doggie grooming service is going to end well.

Noooo - you send it to the SPCA who feed it and cage it and then after 3 months when nobody (shocking!!!) has adopted said feral dog they put it down.

Hmmm.

Edit: Maybe all the weirdos on Facebook should offer to adopt it? I'm guessing not. They strike me more as "I'm not interested in solving the problem - I'm just keen to find fault with your solution" kinda people.

With these types of social media explosions it always seems that people get swept up by the emotion and don't stop to think logically before jumping on the bandwagon.

I think the owner did what had to be done. Rather shoot the dog and risk upsetting someone than the dog attacking someone, especially a child. People don't realise that although dogs are usually pets they can also act as wild and dangerous animals. That said, quickly scanning through some replies here, it looks like hubbers have more understanding.

With these types of social media explosions it always seems that people get swept up by the emotion and don't stop to think logically before jumping on the bandwagon.

I think the owner did what had to be done. Rather shoot the dog and risk upsetting someone than the dog attacking someone, especially a child. People don't realise that although dogs are usually pets they can also act as wild and dangerous animals. That said, quickly scanning through some replies here, it looks like hubbers have more understanding.

That said, quickly scanning through some replies here, it looks like hubbers have more understanding.

AND WE ARE BEING SLATED FOR IT ;)

Archived