Thanks

eevans

Thanks to all the cyclists that assited me when my left-handlebar broke while standing and peddling in a group on the Bottelary Saturday morning. The bar opened a deep gash in my upper part of my leg that needed stiches and I am quite bruised. Sorry to the other guys that also fell.This was one of those rare things as I never heard of this before..

All I want to say is this is rare but check your bike for cracks. We all were lucky that the cars missed us.

Thanks again.

Sorry to hear op, glad you still in one piece, heal up soon!

That's one of my worst nightmares, just in front of the chain snapping at full power and speed.

carbon or ally bars?

Sorry to hear it. I snapped a chain whilst sprinting for a gap over the weekend and narrowly avoided a big fall.

When kit breaks randomly its terrible especially if you have a big get off because of it.

Was pretty scared afterwards but safe. YOU on the other hand....

Hope you get well soon

carbon or ally bars?

Sorry to hear it. I snapped a chain whilst sprinting for a gap over the weekend and narrowly avoided a big fall.

When kit breaks randomly its terrible especially if you have a big get off because of it.

Was pretty scared afterwards but safe. YOU on the other hand....

Hope you get well soon

Thanks - aluminium bar.

Sorry to hear op, glad you still in one piece, heal up soon!

That's one of my worst nightmares, just in front of the chain snapping at full power and speed.

Thanks.

That's very worrying. Always figured aly bars would be pretty indestructible. Heal up soon.

Ally can have catastrophic failure and snap along a fracture whereas carbon has a weave and will likely fail by cracking so less dramatica i.e. it will split etc.

There was a post years back (Ricky Bobby i think was the hubbers name) where a road bikes handlebar sheared next to the stem. (oh and he did have a big accident - OTB at speed in the cradle)  

One of the guys on the hub was  a materials guy and he showed how a minor score mark in the ally surface of the bar had lead to the break. Was very interesting and I have been very careful with ally since then - especially the thin stuff on bars.

If you want evidence ask the guys who flew on the de Havilland Comet - that cracked around the windows under pressure and after a couple of pressurization and depressurization the ally fatigue lead to it exploding like a balloon in mid-air. Killed a lot of people including the British air industry.

Like I said - ally can fail and crack in one shear plane very quickly.

Hence asking the question

Ally can have catastrophic failure and snap along a fracture whereas carbon has a weave and will likely fail by cracking so less dramatica i.e. it will split etc.

There was a post years back (Ricky Bobby i think was the hubbers name) where a road bikes handlebar sheared next to the stem. (oh and he did have a big accident - OTB at speed in the cradle)  

One of the guys on the hub was  a materials guy and he showed how a minor score mark in the ally surface of the bar had lead to the break. Was very interesting and I have been very careful with ally since then - especially the thin stuff on bars.

If you want evidence ask the guys who flew on the de Havilland Comet - that cracked around the windows under pressure and after a couple of pressurization and depressurization the ally fatigue lead to it exploding like a balloon in mid-air. Killed a lot of people including the British air industry.

Like I said - ally can fail and crack in one shear plane very quickly.

Hence asking the question

carbon as well, had a seatpost break on me, it completely broke into two pieces, was obviously not a clean cut break but the post fell and i still have the scar on my leg to show where it sliced me open on the way down.

Thanks to all the cyclists that assited me when my left-handlebar broke while standing and peddling in a group on the Bottelary Saturday morning. The bar opened a deep gash in my upper part of my leg that needed stiches and I am quite bruised. Sorry to the other guys that also fell.This was one of those rare things as I never heard of this before..

All I want to say is this is rare but check your bike for cracks. We all were lucky that the cars missed us.

Thanks again.

Very rare indeed but it does happen.

Happened to me once, was lucky as it happened during a recovery just after doing some standing sprints and I managed to stop without falling. Was somewhat difficult riding back home (about 30 minutes) steering and braking with my right hand while holding the broken off part with the left.

Whenever I attempt a sprint I always think back to that time.

Hope u heal up quickly