Bike Hub Classified section (or should I not go there)

Jaws677

The other day when reading this thread I thought that there was nothing really wrong with someone buying something cheaply on here and then reselling it for a small profit.  Everybody is happy all the way through if the prices are kept reasonable.  

Then I lost out on a bike that I wanted to buy - only a few minutes too late and it was snapped up by a well known bike trader.  Now being the one who's lost out I really feel how the other guys who are complaining feel.  My pockets are so shallow that they might as well just be decorative, so when a hot deal pops up I get excited.  But now that great deal isn't helping someone out, it's just making a big profit for someone else.  

It feels a bit unethical.  

Is it different if it's done through Gumtree or the like?  Maybe, but what is the difference?  

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other day when reading this thread I thought that there was nothing really wrong with someone buying something cheaply on here and then reselling it for a small profit.  Everybody is happy all the way through if the prices are kept reasonable.  

Then I lost out on a bike that I wanted to buy - only a few minutes too late and it was snapped up by a well known bike trader.  Now being the one who's lost out I really feel how the other guys who are complaining feel.  My pockets are so shallow that they might as well just be decorative, so when a hot deal pops up I get excited.  But now that great deal isn't helping someone out, it's just making a big profit for someone else.  

It feels a bit unethical.  

Is it different if it's done through Gumtree or the like?  Maybe, but what is the difference?  

The community feeling that a lot of hubbers have toward each other is the difference. Sure, not all - a big portion is here just for the classifieds. But, some hubbers will put something up here for a good deal rather than selling it for a little more on gumtree because of that community (safety/secure) feeling of selling to people who you have interacted with in the past (or have read their posts, almost getting to know certain personality traits etc). 

The community feeling that a lot of hubbers have toward each other is the difference. Sure, not all - a big portion is here just for the classifieds. But, some hubbers will put something up here for a good deal rather than selling it for a little more on gumtree because of that community (safety/secure) feeling of selling to people who you have interacted with in the past (or have read their posts, almost getting to know certain personality traits etc). 

You're right.  I've met some great people on here and have had a good few really generous hubbers who have held onto an item for me or or just been really honest or helpful or gone out of their way to help.

There should be an ethical clause for the Classifieds 

I guess the guys who care about the community feel won't sell to the "traders". If the seller is just looking for a quick, easy sale (hence the low price) then it's probably easiest selling to those guys that won't ask 1000 questions and then disappear (I probably sell more than I buy and get that a lot). When you're trying to sell your stuff (especially those with shallower pockets) then you'll be thankful to have those guys willing to snap up the good deal and you aren't really going to care if they make R100 or not.

At times it might look like I "trade", but the hub actually gives me the opportunity to try many bikes I wouldn't normally be able to afford for a few months and then I sell them to fund the next toy (if I break even I'm happy, but at the end of the day I sell for a fair price).

I wasn't going to complain about this, but clearly I'm still annoyed.

Yesterday I had agreed to meet up with someone to look at a bike I wanted to buy. He said he's home after 17h00 so we agreed to meet then and I went on with my day.

Just before I wanted to call to confirm that we're still good for the meetup, I checked my mails and saw that there's someone else interested and he wants me to call him asap, which is fair.

Call him, bike is sold. Just bloody wonderful! So annoying.

So, I don't know if you're gonna see this, but I'm peeved off dude. Seriously. Don't agree to something (you gave the time after all) and then sell to someone else because they got there first. You could have waited an hour I'm sure.

You're right.  I've met some great people on here and have had a good few really generous hubbers who have held onto an item for me or or just been really honest or helpful or gone out of their way to help.

There should be an ethical clause for the Classifieds 

Although probably in part its human nature, but this also increases the negotiation aspect of the classifieds, basically list something for X which would be fair market value and leave very little on the bone for anyone looking to make a quick buck, but then be willing to let it go for what you actually want for it if its a true "hubber" that deserves a good deal.

I have, as I'm sure many have in the past let stuff go at crazy prices, and sometimes even for free both here and avcom when i feel that the other person can really do with it.

What if I work for Oakbay Investments?

Will my association with the Guptas affect my rating on the Hub? :whistling:

Mandatory 25% "processing fee" for Gupta employees.  LOL.

Nobody said Big Tree and Christmas Tom are no legit, they are obviously great buyers and sellers cause they are making money that way, but they are making money off the cycle hub community.

If they were buying every bike on OLX and Gumtree no worries but they are like the fat kid at party gulping down all the good sweets before any of the other kids have chance. And that's the problem I guess .

Personally I have decided not to sell or buy from them, even though the one Scott that Mr Tree snapped up is now being sold by him for only R250 more than the original selling price .

What if a person buys a bike and fixes them up, up grading some part and then selling them for a profit? Im not sure if they do it, or do they resell the bike as is?

If I had the cash thats what I would do.

What if a person buys a bike and fixes them up, up grading some part and then selling them for a profit? Im not sure if they do it, or do they resell the bike as is?

I don't see too much of a problem with that, in that you're adding value to the bike.

Some of the guys literally buy and then resell within a couple of days, having not done anything to them.

I have not read this forum thoroughly, so if this has come up already I apologize. But as someone who is very actively buying and selling through the classifieds I am extremely cautious with either or.

If the Hub had to take on a system such as bid or buy. Where users had to validate themselves as sellers AND buyers we would feel a lot more at ease. Can you imagine putting your bike on auction via the Hub? Shops and distributors could also create Profiles getting rid of old stock... And the hub could make a bit of a service fee. Validating your profile would ultimately let buyers and sellers know that the hub has all your information and would cancel out a large portion of scepticism when buying or selling. No banking details would need to be exchanged as the Hub would have all information already, it could even work off of paypal. 

Anyway... Just a thought. 

No issue if there is real value add being provided, but mostly these are a case of pure flip for profit interactions.

As it is a community based page, there should be a minimum post limit or activity in the community. 

I have nothing against people buying stuff cheap and on selling it , just do it on gumtree. 

These re sellers are using the hubs platform which the admins are paying for to profit from, I think the re sellers should me made to pay over a 20% fee to the site admins as they are generating income off their portal. 

They do not bring additional traffic etc to the hub as they merely buy and just re sell the item.

As it is a community based page, there should be a minimum post limit or activity in the community. 

I have nothing against people buying stuff cheap and on selling it , just do it on gumtree. 

These re sellers are using the hubs platform which the admins are paying for to profit from, I think the re sellers should me made to pay over a 20% fee to the site admins as they are generating income off their portal. 

They do not bring additional traffic etc to the hub as they merely buy and just re sell the item.

I might be wrong, but I'm guessing most of the traffic on here is people looking at the classifieds so I disagree with your last statement. If they resell on Gumtree then there would be fewer items in the Classifieds which might actually reduce the traffic on here (theoretically)...

Someone needs to support the poor sellers here - all the suggestions are about making it more difficult to sell! Sellers are hubbers too!  :ph34r:

I might be wrong, but I'm guessing most of the traffic on here is people looking at the classifieds so I disagree with your last statement. If they resell on Gumtree then there would be fewer items in the Classifieds which might actually reduce the traffic on here (theoretically)...

Someone needs to support the poor sellers here - all the suggestions are about making it more difficult to sell! Sellers are hubbers too!  :ph34r:

I think the last set of stats that Admin released did show that the majority of traffic / hits are from the classified - and it's those hits that generate profit for thehub so it's a slippery slope.

That's pretty much the classifieds leeches in a nut shell, well from what I have seen, one worse than the other. Granted it's their choice but it does screw the community vibe, like properly roger the vibe in the nought. All fair and square if you miss the gun on a deal but it's miff when the receipent isn't using that advantage to further their cycling career/life but rather just doing it to profit off the bikehub community.

Some people sell stuff in the classifieds at really good prices solely just to pay it forward/give another brother a deal, that's what community vibe is about, blatantly profiting off of that is not leke.

Romantic violins...

People sell stuff to get money. Others buy stuff because they want it and they're happy with price. Willing buyer, willing seller. We're not a big, back rubbing community, we're all using the site for whatever benefit it gives us and the site, in turn, makes a profit selling our visits to advertisers.

Romantic violins...

People sell stuff to get money. Others buy stuff because they want it and they're happy with price. Willing buyer, willing seller. We're not a big, back rubbing community, we're all using the site for whatever benefit it gives us and the site, in turn, makes a profit selling our visits to advertisers.

not saying its wrong, once again

just most of us are here...

Archived