Bike Hub Classified section (or should I not go there)

Jaws677

And this is how Evan became famous on LeHUB.........

Did that have any 'effect' on Ev? Besides making him 'infamous' that is ...

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silly question around pricing.

I work on 75% of new online price if the item I'm selling is new.

45-65% if the item is used (% depends on condition).

I still have "long shotters" offering me 30% less that whatever I advertise. It's odd.

Perhaps I open with 200% of new or used price so people can bargain me down 50% discount and we're all happy....

I get the distinct feeling people are more keen on a perceived bargain than an actual bargain!

A good starting point for 2nd hand: (New price x 0.6) - (10% for each year).

What you think???

What you think???

For what product ?  There cannot be a single formula that applies both to consumable stuff like chainrings and a desirable classic piece. 

A 15 year old  10 speed Record gruppo will have kept its value much better than a similarly aged Ultegra one.

If you spent you money wisely 5 years ago and bought a Niner SIR frame, you could get your full purchase price back, plus more. Had you bought a Scott or Merida, not so much.

I sold a used frame and a used fork both for more than I bought them new two years earlier. Both sold at the asking price and there was competition for both.

At the end of the day, the price for anything is what someone is prepared to pay for it. Only the seller can say if it is worth selling at that price.

What you think???

Good placed to start - after that factor in eddy's info - cult status, rarity, sellabillity etc.

I've noticed quite a few trail bikes in the freeride/downhill section. There's even an xc bike in there. Am I missing something? or are people doing this deliberately for some reason?

When selling second hand goods you should ALWAYS be willing to negotiate. So imo it is really irrelvant what the starting price of the item is.

In the rare occasion that you are not willing to negotiate, you should accept that you might have to wait before your sale goes through. That also depends on what you are selling and the market you are selling too. Also depends on the urgency of the seller and the buyer.

You also need to considder what others might deem as: this is a bargain!

So, rather than saying new price - 30% = second hand price, rather:

what is the minimum I will accept for this (urgency + item + market) + margin = second hand price.

When selling second hand goods you should ALWAYS be willing to negotiate. So imo it is really irrelvant what the starting price of the item is.

That makes no sense - by that logic if you start at a win-win/fair price you're forced to negotiate down to an unfair price. In which case you want to pad it up a bit so that when you're forced to negotiate down you end up at a fair price...

I ran into similar issues when I worked corporate - buyers/procurement departments have "discount" as a target so they try and bargain you down. I used to pad prices then give away the pad to end up at the original price. Just made no sense but I guess if that is how the game is played you have to play the game....

In the rare occasion that you are not willing to negotiate, you should accept that you might have to wait before your sale goes through. That also depends on what you are selling and the market you are selling too. Also depends on the urgency of the seller and the buyer.

You also need to considder what others might deem as: this is a bargain!

So, rather than saying new price - 30% = second hand price, rather:

what is the minimum I will accept for this (urgency + item + market) + margin = second hand price.

Don't agree. When you advertise goods at a reasonable price then there is no need to negotiate. There will always be tyre kickers wasting your time with gems such as "what is your cash price?" etc.

Don't agree. When you advertise goods at a reasonable price then there is no need to negotiate. There will always be tyre kickers wasting your time with gems such as "what is your cash price?" etc.

How would you determine what is reasonable?

How would you determine what is reasonable?

Using original price as a guideline and deducting fair wear and tear. I find that items advertised at a reasonable price sell very quickly.

I love the 'cash price', like you would take pork bellies or uranium or finance the derailleur through Wesbank.

That makes no sense In which case you want to pad it up a bit so that when you're forced to negotiate down you end up at a fair price...

Isn't that the way it should be?

You decide what is the minimum you want and add a margin.

If your margin is zero, then so be it.

As a buyer, I would like the option to negotiate.

I don't like the idea of adding on for negotiation, all it does is make the item seem expensive from the start. I've always based my pricing on what I think a fair market value is, based on condition, and in most cases I've sold at list price.

What really grinds my balls is people asking for a lower price before they even see the item. I don't have a problem with someone coming to view, or sending someone in case of out of towners, and then trying to negotiate a slightly better price at time of sale, but when I get those one liner pm's eg "best price????", or some random lower amount with lots of question marks, I have to breath deeply and count to ten before replying...

What really grinds my balls is people asking for a lower price before they even see the item. I don't have a problem with someone coming to view, or sending someone in case of out of towners, and then trying to negotiate a slightly better price at time of sale, but when I get those one liner pm's eg "best price????", or some random lower amount with lots of question marks, I have to breath deeply and count to ten before replying...

Many buyers ask for a lower price, because many sellers pad their margins, because many buyers ask for a lower price, because many sellers... oh wait.

Double edged sword(sometimes you are a buyer and sometimes the seller)....its definitely in favour of the buyers though. They can offer lower, the seller can refuse or state that the item is non-neg. 

If it's something I need and the price appears fair in my opinion I will buy without negotiation. If it's something that would be nice to have I may keep an eye and if it hasn't moved for a while I'll make an offer of what I am prepared to pay. Noting that at times it may seem a crazy offer but just to be kept in mind (have about a 50/50 success rate  :ph34r:  )

I am always happy to negotiate when selling something as in most cases it's something that is just standing or lying around and I specifically would just like to move it on to someone that may need it

Archived