Review: Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 750 MSL

Iwan Kemp

First announced in late 2013, the Thunderbolt was billed as being equally at home on long, technical climbs as it is on flowy singletrack descents, having you powering through the rough stuff and popping off every trail feature you lay your eyes on. This was quite a bold claim for a bike with 120mm travel and labelled as a XC/ Trail bike.

Click here to view the article

Still loving this thing and its intended purpose. Was on my shortlist for bikes when looking last year. Would LOVE to have one as my 2nd bike

Ja, I don't think I'd want this as the ONE bike, but as one OF my bikes?  Hell yes.  I reckon this and an Enduro and you're golden.  But more than one bike?  Ain't nobody got time for that.

Ja, I don't think I'd want this as the ONE bike, but as one OF my bikes? Hell yes. I reckon this and an Enduro and you're golden. But more than one bike? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Absolutely. When I think of a trail bike in addition to the reign, I just remember that with a few more psi in the suspension and lighter tyres my reign is more than capable. Especially given that I can lower the fork to 130mm which makes a big difference to how it climbs (seat tune angle)

Absolutely. When I think of a trail bike in addition to the reign, I just remember that with a few more psi in the suspension and lighter tyres my reign is more than capable. Especially given that I can lower the fork to 130mm which makes a big difference to how it climbs (seat tune angle)

don't do it, nobody cares about going uphill anymore, its all #enduro

After over 20 years in the sport, I am clearly getting too poor to keep getting the nice stuff. My eyes start watering if I have to lay out over R20k for a bike. Probably why I hand down parts to myself from previous bikes to keep the nice stuff rolling longer.

Still loving this thing and its intended purpose. Was on my shortlist for bikes when looking last year. Would LOVE to have one as my 2nd bike

Jaco (ex Bike Shed) says he's had his for 2.5 months. Goes on to say he hasn't ridden his Altitude in 2.5 months! 

Pricing for the alu?

Checked with the importers for you and they only have stock of this model at the moment. Will update once we know more on new stock arriving.

Checked with the importers for you and they only have stock of this model at the moment. Will update once we know more on new stock arriving.

Do they have pricing on any of the models/frames yet?

Do they have pricing on any of the models/frames yet?

Hi Desi,

I represent This Way Out at Contermanskloof (formerly The Bike Shed)

We currently have various sized models of both 2015 and 2014 alloy Thunderbolt's.

We are currently offering huge discounts on our older models as well as on our 2016 models.

Note that only the 750 msl featured in this review is available in the 2016 range, however special requests can be accommodated depending on international stock levels.

Let me know if you would like me to get in touch with you regarding demo rides or simply viewing the bikes at any of our three stores.

Thanks again for the superb review Iwan! 

Cheers

Hi Desi,

I represent This Way Out at Contermanskloof (formerly The Bike Shed)

We currently have various sized models of both 2015 and 2014 alloy Thunderbolt's.

We are currently offering huge discounts on our older models as well as on our 2016 models.

Note that only the 750 msl featured in this review is available in the 2016 range, however special requests can be accommodated depending on international stock levels.

Let me know if you would like me to get in touch with you regarding demo rides or simply viewing the bikes at any of our three stores.

Thanks again for the superb review Iwan! 

Cheers

Hi Marc,

I might pop into Contermanskloof or Meerendal store today.

Desi

if you had to compare this with a giant anthem 650, which gives you the better value?

This bike has been knocked down from R74k so there's already "value" at that price. This is a completely different beast compared to an Anthem, though. It can and will be the perfect one bike for many riders. It is a super capable trail bike that will shred with bikes twice it's size only to race XC the next day! It is not only trail "capable" - it is a proper trail bike. The Ride9 makes it an all round option.