axle

The MTBer

Not sure I understand. It was 40% broken, but 100%... what does that mean. You mean that you could still ride but it would give way completely at any time; because it's either broken or not. Not sure how you would measure something being 40% broken...

It could be said that any axle only has a certain life span, however, due to the nature of the axle residing within the hub one cannot tell whether it is broken or not. One could assume the OP determined a half-life for 20mm through axles in general through empirical testing, thereby allowing him to calculate a probability for the axle being broken prior to the service at his LBS. In this case it would appear that the OP had calculated the probability of a broken axle at the time of service at 40%. Without knowledge on the standard deviations of the OPs empirical half-life determinations it is impossible to determine with accuracy whether or not the LBS is at fault or not, however given the OP’s conviction in implying that the LBS is at fault one must assume that 2 standard deviations must be equal to less than 10% probability of a broken axle.

Either that or he just ball parked it at 40%.

Honestly though dude, I think the bike shop was quite fair.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool Thanks, only a few guys would understand it seems to me 90%of the guys commenting don't even know how the axle works. Everyone just stopped at the made up 40%...

Naa I watched the vid and saw how it works, could be a bit of a stuff up it you dont understand how it works.

In all honesty I would probably have overtightened it not knowing about the 8 clicks.

Cool Thanks, only a few guys would understand it seems to me 90%of the guys commenting don't even know how the axle works. Everyone just stopped at the made up 40%...

Hmpf. If it was 40% broken it would appear you also had challenges in figuring out how the axle worked?

Yeah the Boxxer axle is a bit of an odd one coz there is no pinch bolt system like you get on a 888 or Fox 40. The "pinch bolt" is built into the axle and I assume that's what broke.

They do go tho so yeah. I'd take the LBS up on their offer or try source on from that FB page. They tend to last a bit better than Fox 40 axles which are made of margarine. 

Broken like this?

http://brownpow.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/6/5/29651539/7769015.jpg

If you can keep the old axle as a spare, do so.

I'm not sure how it was obvious that it was historically damaged but accept the school fees and move on. Like Duane says see if someone has a spare internal bit lying about and keep the complete axle as a spare. 

Broken like this?

I'm not sure how it was obvious that it was historically damaged but accept the school fees and move on. Like Duane says see if someone has a spare internal bit lying about and keep the complete axle as a spare. 

That's broken closer to 10%. OP's was broken at 40%. 

Broken like this?

Yep exactly what happen, you can see it was not a clean break, you can see the different shades of grey, the LBS then said to me because there is different shades of grey the part was already 'broken' and it then break twice.

Yep exactly what happen, you can see it was not a clean break, you can see the different shades of grey, the LBS then said to me because there is different shades of grey the part was already 'broken' and it then break twice.

atleast you got break right

That's broken closer to 10%. OP's was broken at 40%.

I'm 90% sure that your assessment is at least 40% correct

If I took my bike for a service and my carbon frame had a crack in it but I had been riding it with no issues, thereafter the service guy took it for a test ride in the parking lot to make sure everything was working well or clamped the bike over the crack and the crack then gave in so it was completely broken, should I expect the LBS to replace my entire frame for free or even cost, not a chance would I or should I expect that.

I know what fifty shades of broke looks like...

ok, ok.. break it up...really guys, this is not the playground.

I'm hitting the brakes on responding further.

A bike with a 40% broken axial will not be ridden by myself.....!

If you know about it why not replace it already as its about your safety and not your pocket! The fact that the shop has offered to help you with giving the part at cost which meant total cost minus 60% (as this is what they usually charge on spares) I myself think its a hell of a bargain!!!! I'll catch a pofadder with my bare hands before riding my bike with disk brakes making funny sounds... :clap: 

One must be fair....

As has been said, those axles are tricky. There's even a warning printed on the axle that you can easily make a pigs ear of it if you don't read the instructions. And lets be honest, how many people read the instructions?

If an untrained mechanic got hold of one he could quite easily have snapped it without too much effort.

My 2c - take them up on their cost offer, and if they do it again then claim the money back, because then you definitely know it was their doing.

Archived