Specialized bad after sale service.

Fat fish

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does it corrode? I thought aluminium was corrosion proof?

Not really - usually it very quickly forms a surface layer of aluminium oxide, and that prevents further corrosionĀ  - but that does not mean it cannot spread deeper - especially in the presence of some chemicals like degreasers and soaps)

Ā 

If you ride a specialized, you might as well buy a Merida. - Why? do people who ride Giant have to buy Trek? Your logic fails my understanding.

Ā 

I did not send it specialized - You will find that if you "send" it, you will improve your skills... :whistling:

Ā 

After 2 half years i notice the bump is getting bigger. - As in after 12 months?...also, any woman will tell you that if the "bump is getting bigger" you may want to prioritize having it, i.e. "the bump", inspected.

Ā 

Every one that I have spoken confirmed that they should've replace the frame - "every one I have spoken to confirmed that I was innocent" - as used by Zupta and Pistorius. We all know they are both guilty. That means their advisors are equally as stupid as them.

Ā 

but at the end of the day my mind is made up. I'm never buying any Specialized products - this is probably best, ...for Specialized.

AAAANNNND the winner of the best chirps goes to.... :lol:

Not really - usually it very quickly forms a surface layer of aluminium oxide, and that prevents further corrosionĀ  - but that does not mean it cannot spread deeper - especially in the presence of some chemicals like degreasers and soaps)

Energy drinks are like sea water on alu frames.

Ā 

Touch up small scratches or chips up with some clear nail varnish.

How does it corrode? I thought aluminium was corrosion proof?

If you think that then best you don't wash any aluminum parts...

Ā 

See the simple chemicals that purify water for us humans to drink and wash our bikes with can and will corrode any metal given time...now throw in what ever else you wash your bike with and hey presto..its like inviting the chemical brothers to a race...

If you ride a specialized, you might as well buy a Merida. They own more then 50% of specialized and frames gets made at the Taiwan factory of Merida. I reasonly had an issue with them and was very unhappy with the service and the product itself. In 16.11.2012 I bought a Specialized Tarmac pro frame and paid R23 000.00 for the it. With in a year I notice a small bump on the rear stay close to the derailler. I did not send it specialized, thinking it's nothing big. After 2 half years i notice the bump is getting bigger. The bike shop that I bought the frame from send it way to the head office and the assessment was that the area where the carbon and the aluminum joint is corroding. They declined replacing the frame as corrosion was not part of the the warranty and the paint warranty was only valued for 2 years. I have ask them how it can be possible that within in 2 year corrosion is taking place as the bike a standing in a room. They still refused to replace the frame. Can any one help and advise what can I do, as Specialized broken my confidence in there product. I never use to have this problem with my Giant and Trek frame and here I have tried one of the biggest brands in the cycling market and got disappointed. Every one that I have spoken confirmed that they should've replace the frame, but at the end of the day my mind is made up. I'm never buying any Specialized products and will not advise anyone to support them. I have realised that the product is over price and there is much better product on the market that offers value for your money.

You are going to need one of these ......

Ā 

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/darrbar/Forum%20pics/flamesuit.jpg

If you think that then best you don't wash any aluminum parts...

Ā 

See the simple chemicals that purify water for us humans to drink and wash our bikes with can and will corrode any metal given time...now throw in what ever else you wash your bike with and hey presto..its like inviting the chemical brothers to a race...

I wasnt aware of it. Luckily I seldom wash the bike! Last time was 6 months ago....!

Live and learn...

I think it is plain pathetic that the OP can bash Specialized when the same thing has happened to a Merida and Giant and Trek and, wait should I go on? - I have seen it happen on other brands as well...

Ā 

Basically OP you F+%^&D up by not getting the "bump" examined in due time...like was mentioned, if you had a lump on your body do you not go to the doctor? Ā If not then when they give you 3 months to live because your body is riddled with cancer, do you then blame the doctor because he should have some how magically been able to make the problem go away?

I really don't see the reasoning behind some peoples logic regarding who owns who. Ā 

What difference does it make if Merida owns a minority share in Specialized? Ā Does it make the product any more inferior?

Jaguar/Land Rover is owned by Tata in India - does it make the product any worse? Ā No. Ā They're growing continuously and putting out a premium products. Ā 

Ford also owns Maserati. Ā Are you going to buy a Maserati and end up with a Fiesta? Ā No.

Ā 

The whole argument is a null point.

I wasnt aware of it. Luckily I seldom wash the bike! Last time was 6 months ago....!

Live and learn...

Fair enough...I learnt that in school...but my client who rode his alu bike up and down the beach whilst on holiday for two weeks wasn't aware of it either, and then kicked up a fuss when his bike was a write off...literally...

Ā 

You know what is the worst thing on alu parts? Blood...because it carries oxygen the oxygen has a better chance of corroding (forming aluminum oxide) the alu directly.

I really don't see the reasoning behind some peoples logic regarding who owns who. Ā 

What difference does it make if Merida owns a minority share in Specialized? Ā Does it make the product any more inferior?

Jaguar/Land Rover is owned by Tata in India - does it make the product any worse? Ā No. Ā They're growing continuously and putting out a premium products. Ā 

Ford also owns Maserati. Ā Are you going to buy a Maserati and end up with a Fiesta? Ā No.

Ā 

The whole argument is a null point.

Jip. Tata owns Land Rover and Jaguar, and before them Ford owned these 2 brands. If you buy a Spesh because you a re a brand-snob, then you bought it for the wrong reason and no amount of good design or proprietary tech is going to give you the enjoyment you seek on a ride, as most of your enjoyment comes from showing off the brand, opposed to riding your bike, which is best done by parking your bike outside your favourite coffee shop or having it hang off your bike rack at the local mall.

Mini hi-jack: Let's say you notice a small defect in frame after the 2 year paint warranty and the manufacturer says it is just a small defect in paint finish, nothing serious. However, after the 5 year frame warranty has expired, you notice that the small defect has developed into a crack; will they still replace it as they were informed of it during the warranty period of frame? Or will they just say sorry, warranty has expired?

I don't believe any warranty because I had same problem with Trek frame, because of "corroding"Ā  Learnt my lesson and I rather have insurance than warranty.

Ā 

Unpopular frame have better service than popular frame......

Mini hi-jack: Let's say you notice a small defect in frame after the 2 year paint warranty and the manufacturer says it is just a small defect in paint finish, nothing serious. However, after the 5 year frame warranty has expired, you notice that the small defect has developed into a crack; will they still replace it as they were informed of it during the warranty period of frame? Or will they just say sorry, warranty has expired?

interesting question, most distributors will do their best to look after their brands, but they have to stay within the manufacturers policies...so lets say they do you a favor and replace your frame that has a minor blemish in the paint. They submit the pics of the part to (lets say) the US and the US says, nope sorry no can do the claim is rejected....now the distributor is out of pocket for a frame.

Ā 

so rather they say don't worry about it. If it does then develop into a structural crack (there is a huge difference to a paint crack and a structural crack) they still need to inspect the frame and ask the US, then its up to their discretion to replace the frame or not...most will offer a "goodwill" deal to keep you on the brand but if its out of warranty by a year then they can't and won't replace it as they will be paying for your new frame from their pockets.

Would not expect corrosion to settle in so quickly and not expecting it to come from a bike brand SPECIALIZED. They did not evens tried to accommodate me or offer to fix it. I am not asking them to give the latest 2016 frame, just need to be in the position prior the corrosion even if they offer me a replacement 2013 frame again, l'll exempt it gladly. I do have insurance and I don't think they are going to cover the corrision and will look at it as a manufacturing error. I agree with some of the readers that they got a very good product, but with that they should have good service to. No one is going to expect that any corrosion will take place so soon and I spoke to a lot of cycles and they all agreed that Specialized could of offered to fix it or replacing the frame.

Would not expect corrosion to settle in so quickly and not expecting it to come from a bike brand SPECIALIZED. They did not evens tried to accommodate me or offer to fix it. I am not asking them to give the latest 2016 frame, just need to be in the position prior the corrosion even if they offer me a replacement 2013 frame again, l'll exempt it gladly. I do have insurance and I don't think they are going to cover the corrision and will look at it as a manufacturing error. I agree with some of the readers that they got a very good product, but with that they should have good service to. No one is going to expect that any corrosion will take place so soon and I spoke to a lot of cycles and they all agreed that Specialized could of offered to fix it or replacing the frame.

Ā 

The fact remains you should have taken it in as soon as you saw the defect not 2 years later...Ā 

Ā 

You are at fault not theĀ big bad companyĀ  :ph34r: