[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

Any ideas on how they plan to get from the M1( M2 on their website) to Carr street? Seems like a pretty sharp 180deg turn on the off-ramp. 

Edited by warren1989

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it like this?

Argus (CTCT) entries sold out in less than a day

947 After months of being open for entries still 100's of spaces open.

Edited by BDF

Any ideas on how they plan to get from the M1( M2 on their website) to Carr street? Seems like a pretty sharp 180deg turn on the off-ramp.

Follow the M1 all the way to Carr street, hand brake turn and off you go.

It really, really, IS NOT a problem. We done it before and survived.

Why is it like this?

Well, if travelling & cost weren't an option, and they were on the same day, which one would you choose?

Looks easier, from MapMyRide, the total climbing has come down from 1444m (2014-2015) to 1305m (2016). Slight disappointment but looking forward.  

Wondering if they can still call it Joburgs toughest race. :mellow:

Follow the M1 all the way to Carr street, hand brake turn and off you go.

It really, really, IS NOT a problem. We done it before and survived.

Done before in 94.7? Thought it might have been an error on their part, but hey another dimension not always bad. Cornering Intervals for me. 

Why is it like this?

Because thousands of Gauteng people go down to do the CTCT but Capetown people very seldom move off the peninsular.

Well, if travelling & cost weren't an option, and they were on the same day, which one would you choose?

Because thousands of Gauteng people go down to do the CTCT but Capetown people very seldom move off the peninsular.

@Fat Boab, I would no doubt do the CTCT if that was the choice I had to make. Thing is, in reality we can all choose both so the question you pose (which is one of substitution, not addition) is not valid in this particular circumstance.

@HappyMartin, why do you suppose Capetonians seldom venture out? Do you not also think that the marketing done over the years is better for the CTCT? Also think that the involvement of PPA in WC adds down there whereas we have no such association in GP.

Just some Friday chit-chat..

@Fat Boab, I would no doubt do the CTCT if that was the choice I had to make. Thing is, in reality we can all choose both so the question you pose (which is one of substitution, not addition) is not valid in this particular circumstance.

@HappyMartin, why do you suppose Capetonians seldom venture out? Do you not also think that the marketing done over the years is better for the CTCT? Also think that the involvement of PPA in WC adds down there whereas we have no such association in GP.

Most of the people I know that travel to Cape Town for the CTCT make a holiday of it. Take week and half to two weeks off and enjoys a coastal holiday. Not too sure if there is any attractions in Joburg or the surrounds that will allow the same type of trip to the coastal folk.

Why is it like this?

Most of the people I know that travel to Cape Town for the CTCT make a holiday of it. Take week and half to two weeks off and enjoys a coastal holiday. Not too sure if there is any attractions in Joburg or the surrounds that will allow the same type of trip to the coastal folk.

I am from Joburg, have lived here all my life, have done 26 CTCT's and 11 947's.

Plain and Simple IMHO the ARGUS is a much better race in just about every aspect. Will do what ever it takes to get down to CPT for The Argus but if I have to miss the 947, O well.

Done before in 94.7?

Yes, once or twice.

The race route has changed a few times coming off the M1:

Off at St Andrews - 2002 (first time on M1). Turned right on Jan Smuts that year with no visit to the CBD/Mandela bridge.

Off at Carr street - may have been prior to 2006 (no GPS for me then so I don't have the route). I know we went over the Mandela bridge in 2006 when it was completely wet and we turned into Carr street.

M1 off at the Wilds for at least the last 4 years.

M1 passing Carr street and off at the next offramp into town and over the Mandela bridge. Think that was 2008.

M1 all the way to the M2 and up passed Ponte then down to Carse O'Gowry before turning right into Jan Smuts, 2009.

2010/11 was off at St Andrews and up to Ponte via Carse O'Gowry, similar to the last 4 years but missing the Wild's climb.

Thought it might have been an error on their part, but hey another dimension not always bad. Cornering Intervals for me.

It really is not that bad. Turning into Kyalami will be interesting though because it's 1/2way down the hill.

Don't know why they don't. I never offered any opinion on that. Merely my observation that they don't. Could be many reasons.

And the entire city of Cape Town embraces the event, while Jo'burgers bitch about not being able to go shopping via their usual route...