[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

I've often wondered at such a big race like 947, whether officials shouldn't be policing such behaviour in the start pens? It's Joburg after all - can't be long before fists and wheels start swinging!

if someone got a smack I the gob for doing this ,it's fully deserved .

What makes them think they deserve to be at the front if they haven't bothered to get there early.

Comic sans: unless he has paid more than you ????

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often wondered at such a big race like 947, whether officials shouldn't be policing such behaviour in the start pens? It's Joburg after all - can't be long before fists and wheels start swinging! 

Fists and wheels I can handle....it's them guns I'm worried about. It's safer in Hout Bay where they use pepper spray :ph34r:

if someone got a smack I the gob for doing this ,it's fully deserved .

What makes them think they deserve to be at the front if they haven't bothered to get there early.

Comic sans: unless he has paid more than you

That's for sure. But it is just indicative of the general attitude in Joburg. "Me first". Whether it be on the bike, in the car or in a queue at the bank. If everyone with that attitude got a smack in the gob, dentists would own the world.

That's for sure. But it is just indicative of the general attitude in Joburg. "Me first". Whether it be on the bike, in the car or in a queue at the bank. If everyone with that attitude got a smack in the gob, dentists would own the world.

lmfao..post of the day ????????????????????????

Fists and wheels I can handle....it's them guns I'm worried about. It's safer in Hout Bay where they use pepper spray :ph34r:

ha ha just as well its not held in the deep souf....would be a bit tight stuffing a piece down your bib ????...not to mentioned the added weight ????

i'm getting anxious and angry just reading this....

dude I had my anxious fret this morning...am chilled now ????... We panic and make things up in our head and they never pan out that way anyway...so why stress it ????

dude I had my anxious fret this morning...am chilled now ... We panic and make things up in our head and they never pan out that way anyway...so why stress it

seeing that i'm riding om my 30 year old steel bike, I may as well complete the look by rolling with a bicycle chain slung over my one shoulder, just in case...

http://results.pedalpower.org.za/findme.aspx?ss=1

PPA was used for the 947 and not cycle events I believe. (unlike Carnival)

94.7 has done their own seeding:

http://seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za/

Seeding was done by Racetec. (PPA seeding also done by Racetec.) seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za and results.pedalpower.org.za dns records both point at the same racetec server.

% nslookup seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za 8.8.8.8
Server:		8.8.8.8
Address:	8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za	canonical name = results.racetec.co.za.
Name:	results.racetec.co.za
Address: 197.96.19.17

% nslookup results.pedalpower.org.za 8.8.8.8 

results.pedalpower.org.za	canonical name = results.racetec.co.za.

So for a bit of fun, you can see your cycle challenge seeding on the ppa site: results.pedalpower.org.za/findme.aspx?ss=5

and you can see your ppa seeding on the cycle challenge site: seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za/findme.aspx?ss=1

Important to note however that while the data comes from the same database, they use different  selection of results (PPA uses all racetec results, while cycle challenge is only a few of my racetec results) and different penalties for old results (e.g. for last years cycle challenge, PPA's penalty is 7, and for cycle challenge it is 0.)

Also to be noted: as per their about page, Cycle Events is a division of Racetec.

Edited by GaryvdM

Seeding was done by Racetec. (PPA seeding also done by Racetec.) seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za and results.pedalpower.org.za dns records both point at the same racetec server.

% nslookup seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za 8.8.8.8

seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za	canonical name = results.racetec.co.za.

% nslookup results.pedalpower.org.za 8.8.8.8 

results.pedalpower.org.za	canonical name = results.racetec.co.za.

So for a bit of fun, you can see your cycle challenge seeding on the ppa site: results.pedalpower.org.za/findme.aspx?ss=5

and you can see your ppa seeding on the cycle challenge site: seeding.cyclechallenge.co.za/findme.aspx?ss=1

Important to note however that while the data comes from the same database, they use different  selection of results (PPA uses all racetec results, while cycle challenge is only a few of my racetec results) and different penalties for old results (e.g. for last years cycle challenge, PPA's penalty is 7, and for cycle challenge it is 0.)

Also to be noted: as per their about page, Cycle Events is a division of Racetec.

PPA owns everything now (Racetec, Cycle Events, SA Seeding), been that way for a while

At my level of performance, the seeding does not make a huge difference.  I am just thankful that my 9:50 start in 2013 is now a 9:01 start for 2016.

The two seeding values from the above links gives 130 vs 100, but the 100 takes my Midvaal into account where the 130 only has my 2013 94.7 with obvious penalties due to age of result.

Weather: The long term weather prediction for the 20th is 24 degrees with a very light northerly wind.  Hopefully is stays favourable like that. 

Guys off topic a bit and probably on the wrong thread but since this does relate quite directly to 94.7 I thought I would post here.

Nirvana for cyclists in joburg aka the cradle is obviously getting very busy as it tends to do every year before 94.7 this comes with an interesting set of problems for all interest bearers in the area 1. The residents 2. The cyclists now recently because of some less than exemplary behavior from both camps things there have escalated and became nasty again, incidents of assault etc.

But now for my grief it is apparent that beyon a reasonable doubt someone/s have vandalized the cycle lanes with broken glass, I have never seen so many broken bottles on any road!!

Certain groups of cyclists (you know if you are one of them) contribute very directly to the frustration that ultimately leads to the type of behavior. I have seen at leas half a dozen of bunches last weekend taking up an entire lane, and not using the provided cycling lanes, this, as the motorists have pointed out on many occasions, is extremely frustrating for them. More to the point though it is also against the law (riding two abreast in the provided lanes thought is 100%)

So my reasoning goes if you want to stop motorists breaking the law (read vandalizing roads) first obey the law yourself, also gives us as a community a foot to stand on, which given the status quo sorry to have to say we don't!

Guys off topic a bit and probably on the wrong thread but since this does relate quite directly to 94.7 I thought I would post here.

Nirvana for cyclists in joburg aka the cradle is obviously getting very busy as it tends to do every year before 94.7 this comes with an interesting set of problems for all interest bearers in the area 1. The residents 2. The cyclists now recently because of some less than exemplary behavior from both camps things there have escalated and became nasty again, incidents of assault etc.

But now for my grief it is apparent that beyon a reasonable doubt someone/s have vandalized the cycle lanes with broken glass, I have never seen so many broken bottles on any road!!

Certain groups of cyclists (you know if you are one of them) contribute very directly to the frustration that ultimately leads to the type of behavior. I have seen at leas half a dozen of bunches last weekend taking up an entire lane, and not using the provided cycling lanes, this, as the motorists have pointed out on many occasions, is extremely frustrating for them. More to the point though it is also against the law (riding two abreast in the provided lanes thought is 100%)

So my reasoning goes if you want to stop motorists breaking the law (read vandalizing roads) first obey the law yourself, also gives us as a community a foot to stand on, which given the status quo sorry to have to say we don't!

As a mountain biker i still see plenty broken bottles next to the road where i ride and i did not even break the law by riding on the tar two abreast to piss anyone off, so what do i do now to prevent beer bottles being regularly slung out of windows?

As a mountain biker i still see plenty broken bottles next to the road where i ride and i did not even break the law by riding on the tar two abreast to piss anyone off, so what do i do now to prevent beer bottles being regularly slung out of windows?

....drink from a can? :whistling:

Reminds me of my very first girlfriend. Always wanted to be in the FRONT of the queue. Sit in the BACK of the bus and just to confuse the hell out me, always wanted to be the CENTRE of attention. Could never understand her.