Heart Rate Monitor for women: Advice on most comfortable

Eugene Brown

I've searched and couldn't find anything, so rather than getting my missus a HRM strap that is as uncomfortable as all hell, does anyone have suggestions for what works best as HRM straps for the ladies?

Much appreciated.

Scotch Rhythm is the only one that comes to mind, it will work with most ANT+ units. Alternatively, a lot of units come with built in optical HRM's.

I know a while ago as well, Polar had a sports bra with the strap built in also, not sure if they still do it.

the Suunto smart hr is very small with a soft strap, I know my wife doesnt mind hers at all.

But depending on what sports will be done a wrist based optical unit might be better.

I hate heart rate straps.  They are just not comfortable if you have to wear a decent sports bra.

I've now got the Garmin VivoSmart HR which has a wrist based heart rate monitor.  It really is a fantastic device and can broadcast my heart rate to my Edge 500.

However it is obviously a lot more expensive than just buying a heart rate strap, but IMO worth it (I use a lot of the other features as well though).

this https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/187972-mio-link-heart-rate-monitor/

Lots of women find chest HRM uncomfortable, if you do not have one of the new watches with built in optical HR sensor then take a look at wrist based sensors like the one have indicated.

I assume you wish to connect this to your current devices and Ant+?

There are a number of companies out there,

It will be her first HRM, so no desire for other connections. Just want to buy once and buy right so that she's comfy. I'll let her try on the different Garmin straps, and take it from there. This is my benchmark of uncomfortable (vs Polar straps) so maybe it works better for her!

My SO recently started using Garmin HR strap and it sits just below her sports bra and she says its not uncomfortable. But no 2 women are alike :whistling: so trying on at shop would probably be the best option, maybe ask her to wear a sports bra while testing.

I'm pretty sure they universal. My wife has a polar and has never complained.

Ya, only because we can tolerate more  :whistling: 

:P

I hate heart rate straps.  They are just not comfortable if you have to wear a decent sports bra.

I've now got the Garmin VivoSmart HR which has a wrist based heart rate monitor.  It really is a fantastic device and can broadcast my heart rate to my Edge 500.

However it is obviously a lot more expensive than just buying a heart rate strap, but IMO worth it (I use a lot of the other features as well though).

My wife concurs, she runs using a Polar M400.

She has bad chaffing from the transmitter, almost to the extent that it has left scars.

And runners thought blisters on their feet are a problem.... ^_^

She uses a good quality sports bra but they don't have any HR capability, tried to find one of those polar sports bra's, seems like they are no longer available.

Wrist sensor is the way to go, provided they work as well as a chest strap?

this https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/187972-mio-link-heart-rate-monitor/

Lots of women find chest HRM uncomfortable, if you do not have one of the new watches with built in optical HR sensor then take a look at wrist based sensors like the one have indicated.

I assume you wish to connect this to your current devices and Ant+?

There are a number of companies out there,

I think it is because lots of woman wear sports bras, which has loads of material around that area.

I hate sports bras just because of that, all that damn material. Flip some even comes with wires in  :nuke:  :nuke:  :thumbdown:

I have a Suunto smart hr belt now and before that a polar (old style) and neither of them were uncomfortable because I don't wear sports bras (well that's why I think it is). 

So let her weigh that up as an option too - is a sports bra really THAT needed...Woolworths has those wire free padded bras, 1st bra I could ever wear all day without pulling and moving and being irritated and more than enough support during riding and running.

It will be her first HRM, so no desire for other connections. 

what do you want it to do?

Reason I ask i have an old Polar F7 watch (not the FT7) - part of all the gadgets my friend that's emigrating has left with me to sell for her - i just put a new battery in and it works fine but it doesn't synch or upload any data - reason why i didn't keep it for myself for discovery vitality reasons. So it's a watch and a strap - the strap size is a M i think. and it just records your heart rate for that last activity. 

it's the ladies one (yes it's pink)

If you're keen gimme a shout - make an offer :)

what do you want it to do?

Reason I ask i have an old Polar F7 watch (not the FT7) - part of all the gadgets my friend that's emigrating has left with me to sell for her - i just put a new battery in and it works fine but it doesn't synch or upload any data - reason why i didn't keep it for myself for discovery vitality reasons. So it's a watch and a strap - the strap size is a M i think. and it just records your heart rate for that last activity. 

it's the ladies one (yes it's pink)

If you're keen gimme a shout - make an offer :)

I've maxed my fitness points out beginning March already, so my wife now has to carry her part of the never-ending saga of collecting Vitality points. Once you get into the Vitality "life" it really starts to consume tons and tons of effort to keep it up!!!

Unfortunately the watch won't work if it can't sync, but thank you very much for the offer.

I've maxed my fitness points out beginning March already, so my wife now has to carry her part of the never-ending saga of collecting Vitality points. Once you get into the Vitality "life" it really starts to consume tons and tons of effort to keep it up!!!

Unfortunately the watch won't work if it can't sync, but thank you very much for the offer.

no worries. I *** my OH out when he forgets to put the fitbit on - we need the points dammit!  he walks around a lot at work - :D

If you do go foe a wrist based HR monitor make sure it is ANT+ and BLE. Means you van use it on more devices.

Archived