The Giro, my favourite tour of the year is only 2 weeks....

GrumpyOldGuy

Will be a fight between Nibali and Landa. I recon Nibali might edge it. Can't wait. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be a fight between Nibali and Landa. I recon Nibali might edge it. Can't wait.

Astana vs Sky

Also Valverde hey

I never know when you're being genuine or sarkie re. pro racing anymore. This one could be read either way (actually I didn't think you followed these races anymore - esp. those two riders).

Astana vs Sky

Also Valverde hey

I have to say I haven't been paying a lot of attention lately, but in my opinion, unless he falls over or has a few really bad days I dont see anyone beating Valverde this year, to be honest, I believe this is one of the weakest fields I have ever seen at a Giro.  

:lol:  :lol: - Yes, but only if he can get a quick tow....... 

I have to say I haven't been paying a lot of attention lately, but in my opinion, unless he falls over or has a few really bad days I dont see anyone beating Valverde this year, to be honest, I believe this is one of the weakest fields I have ever seen at a Giro.  

Valverde always misses a beat somewhere along the road on a 3 week race, even if it's only one one critical stage.  He has been very good and very consistent for many years, but I doubt if he can get the top spot.

He's 35 now and still going like a 28 year old

He's earned his leader's spot apparently after supporting be Quintana so well last year

Its not always about the names racing for me, think this field is closely matched with some outsiders that can cause a few upsets.  Put all of this together and it makes for some interesting racing. I cant wait for this giro to start!!!

(think of vuelta last year)

Can we please rename the thread now? EDIT: I can't wait another two weeks for it to start

My heart hopes for a Hesjedal victory.

Here's some trivia about the climbs - also posted on the FantasyGiro competition page...

Fantasy Giro 2016

Giro d’Italia climbs by the numbers

by Velonews.com

MILAN (AFP) — The Giro d’Italia is known for its vertiginous climbs, and though the 2016 route features a few more sprinter-friendly stages than usual, there are still ample cols for the mountain goats. This May’s race offers six mountaintop finishes, three of which are at high altitude (Alpe di Siusi, Risoul, Sant’Anna di Vinadio), with the remaining three in the ‘medium’ mountains of Roccaraso, Sestola, and Andalo.

Below is a list of the race’s mountain stages, although it is worth noting that, unlike the Tour de France, the Giro d’Italia’s rating scale doesn’t top out with ‘hors categorie’ (above category). Instead, the Italian race’s most difficult climbs are rated category one. The highest summit, the Col d’Agnel (2,744 meters), is this year’s Cima Coppi, and accordingly, the winner of that stage will be awarded the Trofeo Torriani.

The climbs, gradients and categories of the Giro d’Italia mountain stages (arrival town in brackets):

Stage 6 (Roccaraso)

Bocca di Selva (1,393m): 18km at 5.6% gradient, category two.

Roccaraso (1,572m): 16.8km at 4.8%, category two.

Stage 7 (Foligno)

Le Svolte di Popoli (746m): 9km at 5.5%, category two.

Stage 8 (Arezzo)

Alpe di Poti (827m): 8.6km at 6.5%, category two

Stage 10 (Sestola)

Pian del Falco (1,352m): 16.3km at 5.2%, category one

Sestola (998 m): 7.4 km at 5%, category three

Stage 13 (Cividale del Friuli)

Montemaggiore (985m): 8.3km at 9.3%, category one

Crai (813m): 8.8km at 6.4%, category two

Cima Porzus (910m): 8.8 km at 8.2%, category one

Valle (682m): 6.2 km at 7.8%, category two

Stage 14 (Corvara)

Passo Pordoi (2,239m): 9.3km at 6.9%, category one

Passo Sella (2,244m): 5.5km at 8%, category two

Passo Gardena (2,121m): 5.8 km at 4.4%, category three

Passo Campolongo (1,875m): 6km at 5.8%, category two

Passo Giau (2,236m): 9.8km at 9.4%, category one

Passo Valparola (2,200m): 11.5km at 6.8%, category two

Stage 15 (Alpe di Siusi)

Alpe di Siusi (1,844m): 9.1km at 8.3%, category one

Stage 16 (Andalo)

Passo della Mendola (1,363m): 14.8km at 6.5%, category two

Fai della Paganella (994m): 10.2km at 7.4%, category two

Andalo (1,024m): 6.1km at 3.2%, category three

Stage 18 (Pinerolo)

Pramartino (925m): 4.7km at 10.5%, category two

Stage 19 (Risoul, France)

Col d’Agnel (2,744m): 21.3km at 6.8%, Cima Coppi

Risoul (1,862m): 12.9km at 6.9%, category one

Stage 20 (Sant’Anna di Vinadio)

Col de Vars (2,108m): 18.2km at 6%, category one

Col de la Bonette (2,715m): 22.2km at 6.7%, category one

Col de la Lombarde (2,350m): 19.8km at 7.5%, category one

Sant’Anna di Vinadio (2,015m): 2.3km at 8.1%, category three

Read more at [url=http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/05/news/giro-climbs-by-the-numbers_404579]http://velonews.comp...-numbers_404579

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?/topic/158958-Fantasy-Giro-2016/page__view__findpost__p__2878869

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never know when you're being genuine or sarkie re. pro racing anymore. This one could be read either way (actually I didn't think you followed these races anymore - esp. those two riders).

Do I think the Pro Peloton is clean? No

Do I enjoy the spectacle and racing. Hell yes!

Very serious, I recon Nibali will take it with Landa a close second. 

Here are the odds:

Might just pop a 10er on TommyD

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Odds_zpsoflkhcut.png

Here are the odds:

Might just pop a 10er on TommyD

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Odds_zpsoflkhcut.png

which site? By the looks of the layout it looks like paddy power but the closed my account a few years ago as they no longer take bets from South africans

Do I think the Pro Peloton is clean? No

Do I enjoy the spectacle and racing. Hell yes!

Very serious, I recon Nibali will take it with Landa a close second. 

Team dynamics haven't been exactly great with Vincenzo over the last year,  and he certainly has other plans for next year, but otherwise yeah I reckon so, but can he do it on his own? Or who is going to help him?

Archived