What constitutes a wetsuit?

IceCreamMan

I don't like wearing a wetsuit in triathlons preferring to swim in the faithful budgie smuggler however as at IMSA some events are wetsuit compulsory. So the question is, what actually constitutes a wetsuit?

I have scoured the ironman website and run a google search to no avail. If I wear a "wetsuit" that has no arms and no legs below the knee will I be within the rules?

thanks

I know you don't like wearing a wetsuit for whatever reason and that's why you looking for another alternative but why don't you find a wetsuit that is comfortable and learn to enjoy it. They really do help you especially over 3,8 km

Edited by fabes

I don't like wearing a wetsuit in triathlons preferring to swim in the faithful budgie smuggler however as at IMSA some events are wetsuit compulsory. So the question is, what actually constitutes a wetsuit?

I have scoured the ironman website and run a google search to no avail. If I wear a "wetsuit" that has no arms and no legs below the knee will I be within the rules?

thanks

wetsuit compulsory...like as in no helmet, no ride? Is a wetsuit a safety item, why not get guys to wear a lifejacket rather?

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/0ec77a221f31d44994871b1f960b20b2b8990a8ccd763e12c349f02c4aa58bad_1.jpg

wetsuit compulsory...like as in no helmet, no ride? Is a wetsuit a safety item, why not get guys to wear a lifejacket rather?

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/0ec77a221f31d44994871b1f960b20b2b8990a8ccd763e12c349f02c4aa58bad_1.jpg

Wetsuits are worn in tri's to provide insulation from cold water, buoyancy is just a convenient side effect....  

thanks

You would think there would be a definition somewhere wrt triathlon wetsuits..

Best i can suggest (other than following Fabes advice) is to look at what the Tri regulations list for wetsuits...which lists a few items re wetsuits.

i.e. the British Triathlon rules which say: 

post-182-0-65257800-1461593575_thumb.png

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/britain/documents/about/competition_rules.pdf

Taken from the latest ironman Rules

Section 4.02 WETSUIT RULES 

(a) For age‐group athletes, wetsuits may be worn in water temperature up to and including 24.5 degrees C/76.1 degrees F (DSQ) (*Please note: If the water temperature is above 24.5 degrees C/76.1 degrees F (but is less than or equal to 28.8 degrees C/83.8 degrees F) then,  with  respect  to  certain  Events  (e.g.,  Events  sanctioned  by  USA  Triathlon  (“USAT”)),  IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, allow age‐group athletes to wear wetsuits  and participate in a separate non‐competitive wetsuit wave/division, provided, however,  that such athletes participating in  the designated non‐competitive wetsuit wave/division  will  not  be eligible for  age‐group  awards including, without limitation, IRONMAN World  Championship slots or IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship slots);

(b) For professional athletes, wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 21.9 degrees C/71.5 degrees F; (DSQ)

© A wetsuit may cover any part of the body except the face, hands, or feet; (d) A race kit may be worn underneath the wetsuit;

(e) The thickness of the wetsuit may not exceed 5mm.  If the wetsuit consists of two or more piecesthen the combined thickness of the overlapping pieces may not exceed 5 mm; (DSQ) and  

(f) Wetsuits are mandatory for professional athletes and age‐group athletes for water temperatures below 16 degrees C/60.8 degrees F. (DSQ)

Section 4.03 SWIMWEAR POLICY WHEN THE USE OF WETSUITS IS PROHIBITED

(a) Swimwear must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non‐consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting and/or braiding (this generally refers to suits made only from nylon or lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene); (DSQ)

(b) Swimwear may contain a zipper;

© Sleeves that extend from shoulder to elbow may be worn;  

(d) Wetsuit (neoprene) shorts/bottoms are prohibited (DSQ);

(e) Swimwear must not cover the neck, must not extend past the elbow, and must not extend past the knees; (DSQ) and

(f) A textile race kit may be worn underneath swimwear, provided, however, that the textile race kit must not extend past the elbow and must not extend past the knees. (DSQ)

I have to say that I was firmly in the budgie smuggler boat up until recently when I decided to put some time in with my new(I didnt use it for a year after getting it) xterra wetsuit.

Long story short I cut 3 mins off my 1k pb and with the old pb being being a shade under 18 mins that was quite an achievement.

So now Im pretty happy about doing some longer swims in the wetsuit, it honestly feels like cheating. No wonder I was getting beaten by people that I used to take easily in non-wetsuit openwater swims.

Thanks all. Coming from an open water background the wetsuit feels constrictive and I get claustrophobia in it. Only worn it 4 or 5 times so I guess I should get used to it. Hate it when they deem the swim wetsuit compulsory.

Funny enough the rules everywhere I looked don't adequately define what a wetsuit should be at a minimum, only what it may not be.

Will get a sleeveless and leg less wetsuit and take my chances I reckon. If ever I get called on it I just plead ignorance.

Taken from the latest ironman Rules

Section 4.02 WETSUIT RULES 

(a) For age‐group athletes, wetsuits may be worn in water temperature up to and including 24.5 degrees C/76.1 degrees F (DSQ) (*Please note: If the water temperature is above 24.5 degrees C/76.1 degrees F (but is less than or equal to 28.8 degrees C/83.8 degrees F) then,  with  respect  to  certain  Events  (e.g.,  Events  sanctioned  by  USA  Triathlon  (“USAT”)),  IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, allow age‐group athletes to wear wetsuits  and participate in a separate non‐competitive wetsuit wave/division, provided, however,  that such athletes participating in  the designated non‐competitive wetsuit wave/division  will  not  be eligible for  age‐group  awards including, without limitation, IRONMAN World  Championship slots or IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship slots);

(b) For professional athletes, wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 21.9 degrees C/71.5 degrees F; (DSQ)

© A wetsuit may cover any part of the body except the face, hands, or feet; (d) A race kit may be worn underneath the wetsuit;

(e) The thickness of the wetsuit may not exceed 5mm.  If the wetsuit consists of two or more piecesthen the combined thickness of the overlapping pieces may not exceed 5 mm; (DSQ) and  

(f) Wetsuits are mandatory for professional athletes and age‐group athletes for water temperatures below 16 degrees C/60.8 degrees F. (DSQ)

Section 4.03 SWIMWEAR POLICY WHEN THE USE OF WETSUITS IS PROHIBITED

(a) Swimwear must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non‐consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting and/or braiding (this generally refers to suits made only from nylon or lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene); (DSQ)

(b) Swimwear may contain a zipper;

© Sleeves that extend from shoulder to elbow may be worn;  

(d) Wetsuit (neoprene) shorts/bottoms are prohibited (DSQ);

(e) Swimwear must not cover the neck, must not extend past the elbow, and must not extend past the knees; (DSQ) and

(f) A textile race kit may be worn underneath swimwear, provided, however, that the textile race kit must not extend past the elbow and must not extend past the knees. (DSQ)

4.02e is strange. It "may cover any part of the body except the face, hands, or feet". Which doesn't seem to imply which parts actually need to be covered at all.  :huh:

My guess would be any chest coverage would constitute a wetsuit. Those are the parts that need to be protected from the cold. So a sleeveless, legless suit should be suitable? But tri can be funny with it's rules.

their definition seems to allow for a neoprene mankini to be worn over your normal race suit.

Since there is no formal definition of a wetsuit in the rules, the common (Google) definition of "wetsuit" is probably understood.

"a close-fitting rubber garment typically covering the entire body, worn for warmth in water sports or diving."

I would mail them for clarity. Last thing you want is to do is debate rules with a referee on the start line.

4.02e is strange. It "may cover any part of the body except the face, hands, or feet". Which doesn't seem to imply which parts actually need to be covered at all.  :huh:

My guess would be any chest coverage would constitute a wetsuit. Those are the parts that need to be protected from the cold. So a sleeveless, legless suit should be suitable? But tri can be funny with it's rules.

I tend to agree as 4.03 (d) states that wetsuit shorts are prohibited.  As I have seen guys swim with sleeveless suits without issue, then I guess a shorty (sleeveless/legless below the knees) would be suitable... but WTFDIK !! 

I think if you really want to risk the bare minimum and not wear a full wetsuit, then as madbradd says mail them for clarity rather than argue rules on the start line or potentially be DQ'd before you race even starts.

I tend to agree as 4.03 (d) states that wetsuit shorts are prohibited.  As I have seen guys swim with sleeveless suits without issue, then I guess a shorty (sleeveless/legless below the knees) would be suitable... but WTFDIK !! 

I think if you really want to risk the bare minimum and not wear a full wetsuit, then as madbradd says mail them for clarity rather than argue rules on the start line or potentially be DQ'd before you race even starts.

Neoprene shorts are prohibited when wetsuits are prohibited thus the converse may hold in that where a swim is wetsuit compulsory they will be acceptable.

I have mailed ironman we await there reply which is hopefully more enlightening than their rules.

Thanks all. Coming from an open water background the wetsuit feels constrictive and I get claustrophobia in it. Only worn it 4 or 5 times so I guess I should get used to it. Hate it when they deem the swim wetsuit compulsory.

Funny enough the rules everywhere I looked don't adequately define what a wetsuit should be at a minimum, only what it may not be.

Will get a sleeveless and leg less wetsuit and take my chances I reckon. If ever I get called on it I just plead ignorance.

With Tri events pleading ignorance does not work.  they will tell you to fix it or you dont start.  Rather spend the time know and be sure than to do all the training and they tell you that you cannot start. 

I think that refers to non-wetsuit swims. There were those speedo suits that swimmers were wearing in competition before but were banned due to unfair advantage. In swims where wetsuits are not allowed then you cant use anything that gives an advantage like neoprene shorts or lava pants etc.