Clinchers or Tubbies

Barker

I notice that all the deep section carbon wheels in the classifieds are mostly tubbies.

Does no-one want tubbies?

OR

Does this mean no one buys clinchers?

I would think that clinchers would be more popular.

Tubbies for the win, if you have a team car behind you. The end....

What he said. ⬆️

Edited by StevieL

Tubs for the win if

If you're a race snake and love marginal gains

If you puncture severely and lose the bunch and accept your fate is sealed (race for bunch winner status is over)

And you can call a friend or a loving partner

agreed with the above statements. Sold my tubbies to go over to clichers.

The 2 main reasons was that I would like to use my zipps more than 7 times a year. No need having a R30+ wheelset for 7 rides a year. If I use them more than I will need spare tubbies (R1300 for 1 tubby) and would need to phone some one to come and help me.

I accepted that my race would be over if I punctured that being said I only need 1 race a year for me seeding. In the 8 months I used tubbies I didn't need to call anybody and rode them about 20 times.

Taking a test ride on some clinchers this weekend so I will be able to compare the 2.

Ok, this explains why there are no clinchers in the classifieds...well none in my area.

Ok, this explains why there are no clinchers in the classifieds...well none in my area.

And also why you can pick up high end tubs for a steal.

I have not checked recently but a few years back the new list price was about identical for clincher and tubby wheelsets so it came down to tyre cost.    

I ride on tubbies regularly.  In 6 years I've only had 3 or 4 punctures compared to many more on clinchers - might be due to running on higher pressure compared to clinchers, tubbies being bit narrower so less contact with the tar and sealant in the tyres.......

I carry a spare glued tubby with me in the saddle bag so puncture is not an issue.   

the real issue is repairing a puncture - about 4 hours of graft to patch the tube

Tubs for the win if

If you're a race snake and love marginal gains

If you puncture severely and lose the bunch and accept your fate is sealed (race for bunch winner status is over)

And you can call a friend or a loving partner

If you puncture during a race in the front bunches, be it on clinchers or tubbies, your race is over.

I have carbon clinchers only because I train on them too.

Race what you want, but training on tubbies is asking for long days in the sun....

I love the feeling of tubs hey

Just bought a new pair

Just pump your clincher to 11 bar, it feels the same. :ph34r:

Edited by Patchelicious

Just pump your clincher to 11 bar, it feels the same. :ph34r:

Hehehe

I run my tubs at about 8ish

I'm at 68-69 kgs though

I did a lot of investigation when going over to Chinese carbon, between tubbies and clinches. At the end of the day, modern clinchers have come a long way, technologically speaking. The tyre weights are comparable against clincher and tube, and the rim weights themselves are pretty damn close too.

Take away the need to prep and glue tubbies (if you can afford them first), the risk of walking if you do manage to puncture, and I didn't like the prospect of having to carry a spare tyre, glue strip, and normal bombs and inflator as well. Clinchers are easy to change tyres, tyre characteristics are quite vast, and available, and cheap. Two spare tubes in the back pocket and they're easy to repair if you get a flat. Touch wood, I've not flatted in a race yet. I have had two on the way to the start of 94.7, but still had a lekker ride. Keep them pumped hard and go for wider tyres if your frame allows, and you should be golden.

I think the used pricing is indicative of the hassle of owning tubbies.

Hehehe

I run my tubs at about 8ish

I'm at 68-69 kgs though

I pump my 25mm tyre to max 7bar on my chinese carbon rims. Most of the time I ride them at around 6bar no hassle and I weigh above 90kg

I pump my 25mm tyre to max 7bar on my chinese carbon rims. Most of the time I ride them at around 6bar no hassle and I weigh above 90kg

8 bar on Chinese carbon clinchers, 110kgs.