Maxxis Forekaster

Lapierre

Mounted the tires to the front wheels of the our bikes last week which was my first experience at mounting a tubeless tire. Had to use the tire levers to get the last bit on but I suppose that is the case with most if not all on the market these days.

As these came off a 2017 spark 910 they are the TR/EXO 3C Maxx speed versions.

Used some relatively cheap sealant called Fugit which I have heard from my LBS is really close to being on par with the expensive brands and used the floor pump to inflate it without any hassles.

Had to deflate and inflate a few times to get the tires to seat evenly all the way around the wheels. I then shook the wheel around on all axis and then left them resting on a bucket (turning over every half an hour or so - how would you like your tire done sir? :lol: ) to get the sealant to work it's way around. The wheel was pumped to 3 bar and left overnight.

We went for a nice 25Km ride at the red barn on Sunday with the fronts set to around 1.6-8bar.

Now I know that anything a bit more aggressive will be better than a crossfart and skidmark up front but my goodness what a difference!

I definitely took corners with more speed and could feel them digging in. There is more contact noise (road/surface noise) and they have more resistance possibly due to the widely spaced center tread but as the online reviews state, they make up for it with cornering ability!

There had been rain the day before so there were quite a few mud puddle sections. The mud was more clay like and after packing up they never felt like they had lost any grip compared to being cleared. After a few minutes of riding they cleared out fine. I never pushed them in any wet sand sections but never felt like they were going to let go.

There were some loose over hard corners where I pushed more than I would usually do and once again they held well.

There was only one occurrence when I felt the entire bike sliding out in some very soft over hard sand and that was because I was looking somewhere else at the time and not concentrating on what I was doing... :unsure:

While I am no expert on riding I am very happy with this product and am sure it will fill a much needed gap for the local market and I hope that the local agents start stocking them for all the other Maxxis fans out there to try.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought set of maxxis ikon 29x2.35, mounted them and... Oh, what a fantastic XC tyre!

They inspire confidence on the downhill, stick like super glue in the corners and give a smoother, cushier ride.

Huge difference between the 2.2 and 2.35. 

Edited by boemelaar_bob

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

been running a Forekaster up front for quite a while and very happy with it.

for me it was difficult to find a front tire that work good in "loose over hard" which is quite a task i know, but these blew me away with all round good grip as well.

i tend to get a little over confident in fast cornering with them sometimes though.

all in all very happy with them

I have a set of Maxxis Forekaster 29er - 2.35 that I will be putting up for sale over the weekend among other spares.

They are are practically brand new having done not more than 20km on tar. Took them off and put my Crossmarks on.

Selling them at R800 for the set if anyone interested.

I have a set of Maxxis Forekaster 29er - 2.35 that I will be putting up for sale over the weekend among other spares.

They are are practically brand new having done not more than 20km on tar. Took them off and put my Crossmarks on.

Selling them at R800 for the set if anyone interested.

Crikey!!

That is the weirdest decision I have come across in a long time.

Each to their own , I guess..

Crikey!!

:clap: Nah, I don't think its weird, I think its what works for one may not work for the other.

There is nothing wrong with the tyres JohanMalan. In actual fact they are quite nice looking set of 'rubbers, knobbly and all. Just not suited for my kind of riding style.

I believe the Forekaster is intended for wet or loose conditions, and the tread design plays well with wide rims. I don't do wet and loose, and I don't have a set of wide rims at present.  ;)

You said it! Each to their own I guess.....

Crikey!!

This!!! At least try run Forekaster on the front and Crossmark at the back?

I think Crossmarks as a front tyre is suited to the riding style of never riding single track. Again, each to their own. 

been running a Forekaster up front for quite a while and very happy with it.

for me it was difficult to find a front tire that work good in "loose over hard" which is quite a task i know, but these blew me away with all round good grip as well.

i tend to get a little over confident in fast cornering with them sometimes though.

all in all very happy with them

I have Forekaster back and front as it came as standard on my Spark 910 and find that the front tire offers very little grip over loose and hard terrain but great grip on rocky terrain, especially on the rear.

Must say it's also a very durable tire as i have been training kill the front tire for almost two years now in order to replace it with something with a bit more grip but still going strong.

I have Forekaster back and front as it came as standard on my Spark 910 and find that the front tire offers very little grip over loose and hard terrain but great grip on rocky terrain, especially on the rear.

Must say it's also a very durable tire as i have been training kill the front tire for almost two years now in order to replace it with something with a bit more grip but still going strong.

Basically this. I just replaced my perfectly good Forekaster on the front with a Minion DHR II and the increased grip is absolutely staggering (and so much fun). That said I haven't tried to ride 75km with it yet, might regret the additional rolling resistance then...

I ride with Maxxis Forekaster 2.35 on my Scott front and rear. In terms of durability, I have had no punctures that needed plugging and as little as 2 sealant fixing sized thorn holes. Whereas many of my mates have had mutliple punctures and leaks on multiple occassions on the same rides (different tyre brand). The 2.35 tyres are slightly bulky for long marathon races (karoo2coast, etc.), but great fun on single tracks!

Great all round tyre and especially durable!