Commuting: Road or MTB or hybrid/commuter?

Belgarath

Which bike?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose...

• MTB
    • Road
    • Hybrid
    • Commuter

that is a breeker commuter bike .... you even had the decency to line the tyre logo and valve up!

I have bike building OCD. 1 hour to build bike and 3 hours to line up logos. You'll notice the logos on the headset all line up too :clap:

I promise to orange coloured energy drink was purely coincidental. Maybe.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my previous road bike that I have done a straight bar conversion on so that it looks like a hybrid\commuter bike now. Has all the benefits of rolling resistance similar to a road bike, but the comfort and handling options of an MTB. Hop pavements and ride in the dirt with it. Next upgrade parts are CX tyres and it will be fully sorted!

Winner winner.

Much like SSers - "pure" commuters are supposed to be built using the old frames, parts and wheels you have left over from upgrades :thumbup:

Edit: with a little blingery of course. A 1x7 drive train is nice and unique!

Edited by Eldron

That sounds  like a long commute 

I did mine ( 34 Km ) on a MTB Dual 

No ways i could have done it safely on a Road bike

Ideal would be a Rigid  MTB  1x10 as there are some proper hills maybe a SS but unlikely as energy levels would have to be optimal every time  

Mine is 32km one way. Think an SS will kill me in the morning.

Old roadie frame with bits and pieces lying around... converted to SS to ditch out the pain into the South Easter in the mornings. Tire liners a R20 bell does the trick!

attachicon.gifIMG_4758.JPG

I'd ride that.  :thumbup:

I used to commute with my road bike but had a lot of problems with flats even with some gatorskins but with the tubeless crossmark's and slime on my mtb ive been 100 % puncture free .....saving me a lot of time and effort and the nobblies on the tyres is great for the exstra training but i only do 13 km to work and then 13km back again

I used to commute with my road bike but had a lot of problems with flats even with some gatorskins but with the tubeless crossmark's and slime on my mtb ive been 100 % puncture free .....saving me a lot of time and effort and the nobblies on the tyres is great for the exstra training but i only do 13 km to work and then 13km back again

just remember that in CT we have actual working roads, so our comments might not be 100% applicable to you lot up country!

just remember that in CT we have actual working roads, so our comments might not be 100% applicable to you lot up country!

Hahaha noted !! Thanks

Gary Fischer Zebrano 2005.Suspension mech on seatpost driving me crazy,can't get the setting right.Thorns not a problem but small pieces of metal keep getting through.

post-43204-0-52975000-1462452323_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have some Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard 700 x 28C (like new) for sale. Asking R650 for the set. 

http://www.schwalbe....athon-plus.html

- Schwalbe’s best selling model.
- The most puncture resistant pneumatic tire there is.
- The patented, 5 mm thick SmartGuard India rubber layer provides durable protection.
- Has a significant advantage in rolling resistance.

PM for pics and details.

MTB: my commute is up G-Spot to the blue gums at the foot of Stellenbosch mountain and down the Coetzenburg XC track then follow the Eerste River to close to the office, about 700m on tar. :)

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have some Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard 700 x 28C (like new) for sale. Asking R650 for the set. 

- The patented, 5 mm thick SmartGuard India rubber layer provides durable protection.

PM for pics and details.

Hi Loose cog

Sorry, found other tires to go on with.

Decent, difficult to get hold of tires.

GLWS

Edited by Sepia

PM for pics and details.

Don't think those will work with a mtb soft tail