Death to the saddle bag...long live the saddle bag!

edgarblount

So how often do people actually 'break down' vs the mileage they ride and does maintenance come into it?

I ride 'quite' a lot and must say that besides tubeless repair strips (I have used a fair amount in my time) and the occasional use of a multitool most of what I have is for just in case and even then it's only the following - quicklink, valve core, mini pliers, chain breaker AND a pump!

Given up carrying a tube ... haven't used one in many years  :blush:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now thats the way to roll. In fact I dropped the pump and added 6 co2 bombs with those special brackets. 2 mounted under the water bottle cage 2 on the seat post and 2 in the small tool bag.

Some of these okes look like they gonna go service a car on the road. :eek:

Says the guy with 6 bombs strapped to his bike...Are you opening a mobile tyre repair shop?

Thanks for all the ideas! 

Maybe I must just post a disclaimer here.

The reason I want to get rid of the saddle bag is because it doesn't last. I am on my 3rd one in the last 2 years and the current one also seems it's on the way out. The zips just don't last. Every now and again I just hear bombs dropping behind me and then I know, it's "Pick-up-yalls-shyte-from-the-trail" time. I nearly lost car keys as well the one time.

For me it's not about looking like the pro's, or the noise and and and, it's about them bags not lasting and me forking out moola every now and again.

I think I'll give the tool bottle thing a go seeing as I ride a HT and have 2 cages available. I might not ask for spares but I might just ask for a sip of that water of yours.

The reason I want to get rid of the saddle bag is because it doesn't last. I am on my 3rd one in the last 2 years and the current one also seems it's on the way out. The zips just don't last. Every now and again I just hear bombs dropping behind me and then I know, it's "Pick-up-yalls-shyte-from-the-trail" time. I nearly lost car keys as well the one time.

For me it's not about looking like the pro's, or the noise and and and, it's about them bags not lasting and me forking out moola every now and again.

I think I'll give the tool bottle thing a go seeing as I ride a HT and have 2 cages available. I might not ask for spares but I might just ask for a sip of that water of yours.

I've been using one of these untill i got my dually:

http://ravx.com/products/mini-x/

Its lasted me more than 5 years and the only issue i had was the valcro eventually got a bit old so i replaced just the valcro strap that goes around the seatpost otherwise it holds everything from tube, multitool, tubeless repair kit, chain links, pathces, cable ties, tire levers, bomb adapter the only thing that was not in there was by bombs.

Don't know your riding style, but I can tell you it makes a difference if you fit your bag flush and tight, so there's as little movement as possible. Movement/jerks will cause tearing eventually.

If you do give the tool bottle a go, then insert it upside down into the bottle holder as the lid tends to pop off leaving your Shyet all over the trails as before with the saddle bag issue...

If you do give the tool bottle a go, then insert it upside down into the bottle holder as the lid tends to pop off leaving your Shyet all over the trails as before with the saddle bag issue...

This.

Had a very upset SO because this hapened to her.

Now she rolls with a handsak in the shirt pocket, and actual water in the other bottle cage...

Looking for these Schwalbe tubes as a spare. Should fit nicely under the saddle, hidden away. 

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb13291016/p5pb13291016.jpgThe 72-gram 27.5" Evo is one third the bulk and weight of the same size butyl tube.

This.

Had a very upset SO because this hapened to her.

Now she rolls with a handsak in the shirt pocket, and actual water in the other bottle cage...

Easy fix. Just wrap a couple of turns of Gorilla/Ductape around the area where the lid interfaces with the bottle. Never lost a lid this way, and you always have tape handy, should you need it.

You don't look cool, pro or race snake like.

Function over form. I can't remember any of my mates going thirsty or stuck without kit with a hydration pack.

Things I have learnt:

Stuff stuck to frame will inevitably rub the paint off the frame,

Use a light weight caribiner to keep your zips closed (backpack or saddlebag),

Backback works for me, sometimes on a short ride I don't even fill the bladder but take it for the tools.

So how often do people actually 'break down' vs the mileage they ride and does maintenance come into it?

I ride 'quite' a lot and must say that besides tubeless repair strips (I have used a fair amount in my time) and the occasional use of a multitool most of what I have is for just in case and even then it's only the following - quicklink, valve core, mini pliers, chain breaker AND a pump!

Don't know why it works like this but spares and tools are usually needed when I don't carry them with me  :wacko: Done lots of races and rides where I carry my stuff in the hydration pack and never needed it, but there were times that i am glad that i did have it with me  :thumbup:

Had about 4 saddle bags go missing in action during a race/ride.  Riding off road over bumps and rocks will eventually cause loosing bags that are strapped to your bike.  Had a tool bottle that the cap came off and I did not realize it, at the end of the ride I saw that i lost a lot of tools and stuff.  

Because of this I carry all my stuff in the hydration pack - Bombs, Tyre levers, multi tool with chain breaker, two links, Tyre juice and a syringe, duct tape, plugs, piece of chain, small torch, toilet paper, money, cable ties, valve adapter for garage pumps and some more.

I rather take the stuff with me and be able to complete a ride or race than to phone somebody to come fetch me.  After all riding a Mtb is more like an adventure to me  :clap:

I've also given up on carrying a tube. The few times I've fitted a tube out on the trail it's gone flat almost immediately due to all the old thorns in my tyres. I rather carry a small bottle of sealant and a repair kit in the Camelback. For short rides I carry only my phone and some $$.  

Archived