Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18mm

What wood are you using for the drawer sides and back? Also ply? I wanna make cabinet for my TV and AV equipment.

I was thinking this morning that I should rather use beech for the drawers - will look more upmarket than the ply.  And it will contrast very nicely with the Rosewood.

Edited by carrera4s

For those of you guys getting Ebucks to spend on takealot, They now stocking Makita and Hitachi.

Happy spending!

Love my 18v Lithium Ion makita tools. Already making a wishlist, But it will take long to get it all because its pricey.

I was thinking this morning that I should rather use beech for the drawers - will look more upmarket than the ply.  And it will contrast very nicely with the Rosewood.

Please don't. Beech is one of the worst offenders with regards to stability and movement with the seasons. Rather use Maple or Poplar then.

Edited by Moridin

Please don't. Beech is one of the worst offenders with regards to stability and movement with the seasons. Rather use Maple or Poplar then.

Thanks for the tip, will go for Maple then (Poplar seems too soft - but Poplar seems the most stable).  

However, our seasons are a bit more moderate than yours in terms of moisture differences.   :D

For those of you guys getting Ebucks to spend on takealot, They now stocking Makita and Hitachi.

Happy spending!

I have my reservation on Makita tools of late. It seems that a lot of their stuff is becoming cheap quality.

I have my reservation on Makita tools of late. It seems that a lot of their stuff is becoming cheap quality.

:eek: Elaborate please. Have you had a bad experience? I have a couple of their 18v tools and they haven't missed a beat. My hammer drill especially has drilled hundreds of holes in concrete and the only things that k@k are the drill bits. Batteries have decent life and charge quickly. I have 2 batteries but want to get more so I can use multiple tools and still have a fully charged battery on standby. 

I bought a De Walt drill when I went big boy tools. Cost was about same comparatively between the lot, the balance and feel of De Walt was just hands down the best.

Thanks for the tip, will go for Maple then (Poplar seems too soft - but Poplar seems the most stable).  

However, our seasons are a bit more moderate than yours in terms of moisture differences.   :D

Go Soft Maple then. Ain't too expensive. If you are prepared to pay the money for Rosewood as your primary wood, then the Soft Maple should be affordable. Don't be fooled by the 'Soft'. It is only very slightly softer than Hard or Rock Maple.

But Poplar has been used for ages by craftsmen as a secondary wood without issues.

:eek: Elaborate please. Have you had a bad experience? I have a couple of their 18v tools and they haven't missed a beat. My hammer drill especially has drilled hundreds of holes in concrete and the only things that k@k are the drill bits. Batteries have decent life and charge quickly. I have 2 batteries but want to get more so I can use multiple tools and still have a fully charged battery on standby. 

Own some Makita tools. 9401 belt sander and 3612C Router, a jig saw and some orbital sanders. These have served well, with a few breakages here and there. But looking at their new stuff, and reading up on it, I wasn't convinced on their mitre saws. It also seem like the stuff that makro stock is getting most of the negative reviews, but it could also be bias.

Is it an SDS drill?  Have you tried Hilti's?  

SDS is the Bee's Knees if you can't afford Hilti. I looked at Hilti also before I purchased my Bosch SDS drill, but the price made my eyes water.

Own some Makita tools. 9401 belt sander and 3612C Router, a jig saw and some orbital sanders. These have served well, with a few breakages here and there. But looking at their new stuff, and reading up on it, I wasn't convinced on their mitre saws. It also seem like the stuff that makro stock is getting most of the negative reviews, but it could also be bias.

I think Macro only stock the cheap Makita stuff, which is fine for most bakkie contractors. I prefer to buy my Makita stuff from Apple or BPM Toolcraft.

Is it an SDS drill?  Have you tried Hilti's?  

I am not sure tbh, I would have to check later.

No haven't tried hilti drills, only hilti product I have used is that red handle thing for knocking nails into a wall :)

Edit: After doing some googling on SDS, I don't think it is.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I think Macro only stock the cheap Makita stuff, which is fine for most bakkie contractors. I prefer to buy my Makita stuff from Apple or BPM Toolcraft.

yep. The bog standard Makita stuff I'd say is above Bosch green in quality. The more expensive stuff is radically better quality. 

Even there, there are various levels.