Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my cars have been relageted to a life of misery outside their home.

So you have a double garage in which to play. Bastard.

VERY good mate of mine has a triple garage that's 2 deep for 2 of the bays. I hate him even more. Pity he's in Durbs, otherwise I'd be using it as a tool storage space and give him usage rights. 

So you have a double garage in which to play. Bastard.

VERY good mate of mine has a triple garage that's 2 deep for 2 of the bays. I hate him even more. Pity he's in Durbs, otherwise I'd be using it as a tool storage space and give him usage rights. 

Ja well, I was running around on the roof this morning doing running repairs to the IBR. It is beginning to rust through where it lays on the roof beams, and with this rain my garage is taking a hit.  Needles to say, all my good tools has been stowed inside my home in a cupboard.

As soon as summer hits, I will need to replace those IBR sheets.

Okay boys, so - table saw or circular saw. I DESPISE my current table saw (Ryobi POS) so am looking to replace it with something else. Problem being - table saws are expensive. I have my sliding mitre saw, so crosscuts aren't a problem unless the material is more than 300mm wide. And I don't mind working on trestles or a workbench, or with guide rails. I know that the table saw is more easy to use cos you can just set the fence and rip away, but TBH I don't see myself spending 8k - 10k on a single item just yet. Far rather spend that on 3 items.

Thoughts? 

Ja, that's solid, my top's not going to be that solid, it's 32 thick, planed some 38x152's to 32 and took 7mm off the sides to get a straight edge, so they're 145 wide x 8 is 1160 wide.

e256308fe303ff958ec44be5a0fcf98f.jpg

Still need to add the breadboards, then it will be 2390 long.

I REALLY hope those aren't glued yet ...

Will post reason in a while, hoping someone else also sees it  :ph34r:

Okay boys, so - table saw or circular saw. I DESPISE my current table saw (Ryobi POS) so am looking to replace it with something else. Problem being - table saws are expensive. I have my sliding mitre saw, so crosscuts aren't a problem unless the material is more than 300mm wide. And I don't mind working on trestles or a workbench, or with guide rails. I know that the table saw is more easy to use cos you can just set the fence and rip away, but TBH I don't see myself spending 8k - 10k on a single item just yet. Far rather spend that on 3 items.

Thoughts? 

You don't have space ... Make yourself a movable panel saw frame, and buy a proper plunge saw.

I REALLY hope those aren't glued yet ...

Will post reason in a while, hoping someone else also sees it  :ph34r:

The grains aren't in opposing directions ie they don't curve up then down up then down - same direction next to each other, which means it'll be prone to bowing. 

Learnt that the hard way

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Thoughts? 

Table saw is quiet a tool once you have a decent one and kit it out with a sliding table, mitre table and a good fence. (I have a DeWalt radial arm saw, which I rarely use)

The Makita is a seriously good DIY'ers friend (I have one, secondhand purchase) and I mounted it to a rolling cabinet with lockable castors. So I can move it around when I'm not in need of it or when the sheetgoods need cutting.

It's an essential, you can do just about everything with it

You don't have space ... Make yourself a movable panel saw frame, and buy a proper plunge saw.

VERY good idea. Thanks pants. Can put that under the car-port. But also pretty $$ to set up... 

Meh. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Table saw is quiet a tool once you have a decent one and kit it out with a sliding table, mitre table and a good fence. (I have a DeWalt radial arm saw, which I rarely use)

The Makita is a seriously good DIY'ers friend (I have one, secondhand purchase) and I mounted it to a rolling cabinet with lockable castors. So I can move it around when I'm not in need of it or when the sheetgoods need cutting.

It's an essential, you can do just about everything with it

This one?

http://www.makita.co.za/css/images/MLT100-Slider.jpg

The grains aren't in opposing directions ie they don't curve up then down up then down - same direction next to each other, which means it'll be prone to bowing. 

Learnt that the hard way

Actually cupping, but yes you're right.

S@B, are the glued yet?

This one?

http://www.makita.co.za/css/images/MLT100-Slider.jpg

Indeed!

New they cost about R10k (a bigger version for R14k) but its streets ahead of any Ryobi

Indeed!

New they cost about R10k (a bigger version for R14k) but its streets ahead of any Ryobi

yeah, but according to reviews on the web, it's prone to inaccuracies and the guide rails have far too much tolerance in them. If I pay R 10k for a table saw, I want that thing to be accurate... 

Unless it's been attended to, that is. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew