Life happens. One has to make time. Family, study commitments, work, stuff that needs to be done. Gotta juggle. I am up at 4am most mornings and train for an hour or 2 and sometimes in the later afternoon too. I try to run or cycle in the morning and swim in the evening. Weekends I don't have Saturdays as my lighty needs to be at places so sunday mornings I go large on the bike.

Having said that, my training for IM is not on track of where I would like it to be so going to have to rely on experience and stubbornness in the last hours. Its going to be eina. :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You wont need anything to hang on to, if you need to take a breather, you can tread water and easily float in a wetsuit with minimal effort.... or do some breast stroke, have even see someone doing backstroke for a while... just keep moving even if slowly whilst you catch your breath or take in your bearings and surroundings.

I did that on my first and only tri, the 2015 5150 at Germies. That wind was a killer and every time i wanted to do breaststroke the wind blew waves of water down my throat so backstroke it was till i regathered my composure. 

I did that on my first and only tri, the 2015 5150 at Germies. That wind was a killer and every time i wanted to do breaststroke the wind blew waves of water down my throat so backstroke it was till i regathered my composure. 

That was a particularly rough swim, worst I have ever encountered and that includes sea swims

I had a weird morning training wise. Really didn't want to wake up but got dressed and even a few hundred meters into the run still felt like i was sleeping. Legs were heavy and slow the whole run. Got home, had weetbix and coffee and left for the gym, because of bad traffic i was pressed on time so decided to only do a 500m swim, but man i felt good in the pool from the first stroke. Arms,  legs, everything was just in sync with each other. 

What kinda tape are the ous using to tape up their necks so that the wetsuit does not chafe them?

I have been using plaster tape and its basically useless.

What kinda tape are the ous using to tape up their necks so that the wetsuit does not chafe them?

I used to wear a rash guard under my scuba diving wetsuit for this. Problem went away when I replaced it with a better fitting suit. Not sure how good idea this is for a long swim though. Maybe give it a try on your next open water swim? 

Also, what about something like Body Glide?

Edited by EmJayZA

I have a problem with my training. I am only getting my bike in a few weeks, and to get through my cycling training, I have been using the Wattbike at my gym. It's also going to be a stopgap when I can't get out on my bike during the week.

I did some reading on how to set up my bike correctly, and I am using some ok'ish cycling shorts, but I can't last longer than 30 minutes as the pain my sit bones gets way too much (I have now dubbed the Wattbike the Pain Machine). 

I am not a cyclist at all, so the cycling aspect is very new to me. Anyone have any ideas / tips / experiences they can share? 

Hi all

Maybe it has been asked before maybe not.

Is there a web site that lists all the events available in SA. I mean all the events small to large from std. Olympic to half im to full im. 

I have a problem with my training. I am only getting my bike in a few weeks, and to get through my cycling training, I have been using the Wattbike at my gym. It's also going to be a stopgap when I can't get out on my bike during the week.

I did some reading on how to set up my bike correctly, and I am using some ok'ish cycling shorts, but I can't last longer than 30 minutes as the pain my sit bones gets way too much (I have now dubbed the Wattbike the Pain Machine). 

I am not a cyclist at all, so the cycling aspect is very new to me. Anyone have any ideas / tips / experiences they can share? 

T I T S

Time In The Saddle

Wonderful. More Pain Machine it is.  :eek:

Still think it's an issue with the saddle, but I don't really have an alternative. Feeling a little masochistic. 

I normally just use a big blob of Vaseline. Seems to do the trick.

Wonderful. More Pain Machine it is.  :eek:

Still think it's an issue with the saddle, but I don't really have an alternative. Feeling a little masochistic. 

ye you need to get your ass in the saddle for long periods.  Get some decent cycle bibs and ass cream to help you.