Come now , we want a report. :thumbup:

Guy I know did it. Said it was excellent but battled with the heat. Being from here I can well understand that.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come now , we want a report. :thumbup:

Guy I know did it. Said it was excellent but battled with the heat. Being from here I can well understand that.

Just added my time to the original post  :whistling:

Swim was very salty in the bay area and made for easy swimming, nice to have the red carpet laid out to run bare foot on.  Whilst there was wind on the bike leg was not a major factor and was super fast although some tricky cornering when we cycled part of the F1 track.  Run was hot and humid, humidity played quite a big factor on the run.  Still had a good run and great race.... although there some serious racing snakes at this event due to it being a fast flat course.

Kristian Blummenfelt beat his time of last year with a 3:25 and set a new WR.  His cycle was 1:52hr  :eek:

Me. am very happy with my 4:50 !!

Edited by shaper

Just added my time to the original post  :whistling:

Swim was very salty in the bay area and made for easy swimming, nice to have the red carpet laid out to run bare foot on.  Whilst there was wind on the bike leg was not a major factor and was super fast although some tricky cornering when we cycled part of the F1 track.  Run was hot and humid, which played quite a big factor on the run.  Still had a good run and great race.... although there some serious racing snakes at this event due to it being a fast flat course.

Kristian Blummenfelt beat his time of last year of 3:25 and set a new WR.  His cycle was 1:52hr  :eek:

Great time.

guy I know did a 5:14..he had an excellent cycle and swim but the heat took its toll on the run and he ended up running 6:30 a km or thereabouts. Also mentioned the highlight was the F1 track.

He mentioned lots of bunches on the cycle.

Great time.

guy I know did a 5:14..he had an excellent cycle and swim but the heat took its toll on the run and he ended up running 6:30 a km or thereabouts. Also mentioned the highlight was the F1 track.

He mentioned lots of bunches on the cycle.

We cycled on the main highway with 1 lane coned off, so was close riding and ya quite a bit of bunch riding I saw from around the 35km to 50km mark.  Some of it blatant and think these guys knew because it was part of the main highway with traffic the other side of the cones, there were hardly any referees on the motorbikes.... although saw quite a few in the penalty tents, so somewhere the referees were dishing it out. 

Edited by shaper

last of the local tri series was an ultra (1.5/60/15)

had a lekker day out (except for the sunburn)

swim was bad, as expected

bike was windy but nothing too hectic

run was tricky with a soleus strain that just doesn't want to go away

now to finish the build phase and wait for 70.3 in Jan.

post-38473-0-98879700-1575985529_thumb.png

last of the local tri series was an ultra (1.5/60/15)

had a lekker day out (except for the sunburn)

I put on sunblock before start and in every transition. I even carry on the bike.

Even if overcast, I have learnt that lesson well.

Well done, 70.3 will be well doable

I put on sunblock before start and in every transition. I even carry on the bike.

Even if overcast, I have learnt that lesson well.

Well done, 70.3 will be well doable

I can't do sunblock on my face before the swim as find my goggles leak if I do. 

We are lucky in SA where they have volunteers with sunblock who can apply. in transition (on IM events at least).  Overseas no such luxury.

If you racing there no time for sunblock in transition, so wear and suffer the burns as race battle scars.... a reason to go faster  :ph34r:

Glad am not racing in the relay this weekend, might be a bit difficult to be competitive  :eek:

1. SIR MO FARAH (Runner):

Sir Mo Farah, CBE, is a multiple Olympic, World and European champion – the UK's greatest ever athlete.

2. Mark Cavendish (Bike): Sprint star, Mark Cavendish MBE, Also known as “Manx Missile”, is a double Madison World Champion and Commonwealth Games gold medalist on the track.

3. CHLOE McCARDEL (Swimmer): International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame, Known for solo crossings of the English Channel and world record longest open water ocean swim.

77396576_1743978842401670_45357108816395

Am looking forward to a flat and fast race though :)

https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/runs-races/mo-farahs-legends-team-finishes-third-at-ironman-70-3-bahrain/

Well they didn't win....but I don't understand how you call a 1h07 half marathon "slow"

"Multi-Olympic gold medallist Sir Mo Farah and his Legends triathlon team, consisting also of Australian open water swimmer Chloe McCardel and British Tour de France veteran Mark Cavendish, finished third in the relay at Ironman 70.3 Bahrain on the weekend. Their combined time was 3:31:49, with a 25:50 in the swim, 1:54:6 in the bike and a surprisingly slow 1:07:06 in the half-marathon by Farah."

https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/runs-races/mo-farahs-legends-team-finishes-third-at-ironman-70-3-bahrain/

Well they didn't win....but I don't understand how you call a 1h07 half marathon "slow"

"Multi-Olympic gold medallist Sir Mo Farah and his Legends triathlon team, consisting also of Australian open water swimmer Chloe McCardel and British Tour de France veteran Mark Cavendish, finished third in the relay at Ironman 70.3 Bahrain on the weekend. Their combined time was 3:31:49, with a 25:50 in the swim, 1:54:6 in the bike and a surprisingly slow 1:07:06 in the half-marathon by Farah."

Supposedly he can't count laps as was told by a friends supporter who was near the finish.  It was a 3 lap course, he did 2 laps and crossed the finish line, got surrounded by people... only for the ironman staff trying to get hold of him and tell him that he has another lap to do.... which he went back out and did.

Passed him going the other way during the run and he seemed to be cruising and enjoying himself more than racing.... I guess for him 1:07 is slow!!

The Legends team was more of a PR stunt than anything else.  Paraded on stage during the opening banquet, On stage interviews on the afternoon of transition checkin, briefly around during the race and paraded again for the closing dinner and awards.

Also heard that Frodeno and Brownlee were there doing interviews pre-race but not racing.  Although I did not see them.

• 3 weeks later...

So after taking part in Triathlon's ugly sister Duathlon for the last 8 years or so, promised to do a Tri in 2020, and my first one will be on the 5th of this month out at The Blyde Balwin (give it a click - pretty impressive https://www.balwin.co.za/developments/the-blyde-pretoria-east/ )

Admittedly it's no 70.3 or 5150 (600m swim, 18km MTB and 3km Trail run), but for a beginner like me who managed to only swim 5 laps of Virgin Active's pool in the 1st December, a 600m swim is pretty daunting!

I still can't do the full swim without a rest, but I figure that the race swim of 3 x 200m lengths should be doable!

Edited by Andymann

So after taking part in Triathlon's ugly sister Duathlon for the last 8 years or so, promised to do a Tri in 2020, and my first one will be on the 5th of this month out at The Blyde Balwin (give it a click - pretty impressive https://www.balwin.co.za/developments/the-blyde-pretoria-east/ )

Admittedly it's no 70.3 or 5150 (600m swim, 18km MTB and 3km Trail run), but for a beginner like me who managed to only swim 5 laps of Virgin Active's pool in the 1st December, a 600m swim is pretty daunting!

I still can't do the full swim without a rest, but I figure that the race swim of 3 x 200m lengths should be doable!

The 18km

Good luck and enjoy.  Welcome to the tri world !!

Doing first triathlon - 70.3 Durban.

Please can you give me some advise re trisuit?

Thank you

Thank you

Have a look at fluidlines, https://fluidlines.co.za/

For a 70.3 you can use a sleeve-less trisuit unless you are really susceptible to sunburn then you might want to wear a sleeve trisuit

You wear it for the whole race, under your wetsuit for the swim, on the bike and then for the run.  It saves time as you do not have to change.  Bib short padding on a tri suit is a lot thinner than cycling bibs (makes it easier to run in) so you may want to do a few cycles before race day in the tri suit to get use to it.

Good luck with your training and enjoy your first race/70.3.  Your aim will be to finish, so pace yourself throughout the race.

Thank you

Have a look at fluidlines, https://fluidlines.co.za/

For a 70.3 you can use a sleeve-less trisuit unless you are really susceptible to sunburn then you might want to wear a sleeve trisuit

You wear it for the whole race, under your wetsuit for the swim, on the bike and then for the run.  It saves time as you do not have to change.  Bib short padding on a tri suit is a lot thinner than cycling bibs (makes it easier to run in) so you may want to do a few cycles before race day in the tri suit to get use to it.

Good luck with your training and enjoy your first race/70.3.  Your aim will be to finish, so pace yourself throughout the race.

The Fluidlines JHB store opens again on Monday.

Pop in, I will take you through the whole process (from pre-race to post race beers) and you can try on all the options.

Orca / Orbea Concept Store - Morningside

Mon - Fri : 09h00 - 17h00

Sat : 09h00 - 13h00

Sun / Public Holidays : Closed

Address: cnr Rivonia & North Roads, Morningside, Sandton, 2128

Tel: 011 234 1729