Hi guys/gals. Looking for some help please. Any swimming groups in the Durbanville area? I’m no ironman/triathlete, but I would like to give it a go in a year or two. I would like to join a swimming group in the meantime and I have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance. JH.

Check out your local gym that has a pool. Most will have swim intructors who will also have swim squads which you can join.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out your local gym that has a pool. Most will have swim intructors who will also have swim squads which you can join.

Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to see if I can avoid joining a gym, but I get the feeling this is unavoidable.

Strange question with regards to Swimming in a chlorine pool. Does anyone feel like they struggle breathing due to a phlegm build up?

I feel I have to cough a few time during the set just to get through it.

I only get this in chlorine pools and not in open water dam/lake swims. Haven't swum in a Salt water pool yet however I don't get this issue when I swim in the ocean.

Chlorinated pool water definitely affects my sinuses, I started using a nose clip and it improved dramatically.

Chlorinated pool water definitely affects my sinuses, I started using a nose clip and it improved dramatically.

How do you do your bubbles now?

Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to see if I can avoid joining a gym, but I get the feeling this is unavoidable.

i swim at Durbanville VA, there are a few Embark guys there also. I just do my own drills, do you need swim coaching?

i swim at Durbanville VA, there are a few Embark guys there also. I just do my own drills, do you need swim coaching?

Thanks for the reply. Ideally I’d like to follow some sort of structure in the beginning, but mainly just be part of a group.

Thanks for the reply. Ideally I’d like to follow some sort of structure in the beginning, but mainly just be part of a group.

There is a weekly swim at fisantekraal dam, this once in the week and once over weekend, But that is just fresh water if you would like to join that?

Bradley Weiss Xterra World Champ!!!

Well done!!!

Transformed triathlete from top age grouper to force in Xterra and 70.3.

I tried watching that last night but holy crap the production was so bad. Very little coverage of the front edge, just static cameras in like 3 or 4 spots.  Gave up after about 2 hours.

I tried not joining a gym but it was impossible, the public pools in and around Cape Town favour the unemployed! 

There is a fantastic group that swims early in the morning at SACS.

I used to train with them twice a week. The masters swimming groups are also awesome and super well organised.

What about the Chad le Clos swim school? 

I will do some investigating, PM me if you you still interested.

Aiming to do Durban Half Ironman in June 2020.

I have run a marathon, cycled quite a few distance events but never swam. I can swim but am definitively not swim fit (in fact I battle to swim more than 6 laps of a 25m pool without feeling out of breath).

Any suggestions please?

Also when should I start doing some serious training in.

I have run a marathon, cycled quite a few distance events but never swam. I can swim but am definitively not swim fit (in fact I battle to swim more than 6 laps of a 25m pool without feeling out of breath).

Any suggestions please?

I did my first 70.3 in Durban this year and I only decided to do it towards the end of Feb (I think about 14 weeks out from the event). At the time I was cycling quite a bit but the furthest I had ever run was 10km and my longest swim was about 800m. That 14 weeks was plenty of training for me to take it fairly easy in the race and finish comfortably in just under 6 hours. If you want to go hard you would probably need a bit more training but I doubt you "have" to start this year (although for base building earlier is usually better)

If you struggle with the swimming, the best tip I can give you is to go for a few proper lessons as soon as possible to get your technique sorted before you start training properly so you don't ingrain any bad habits you have too deeply.

I also found having a coach really helped for my first one. I use https://mytrainingday.com/

Edited by Jehosefat

speak to jarred at tygervalley virgin active.he has a swimming group for triathletes swimming at fairmont school in the mornings.he is the swim coach at tyger aquatics

Any suggestions please?

I used to have the same issue and I found that I was trying to hold my breath and then breath out and back in when I tilted my head. The best thing that I started to do was exhaling when my face was under water and the breathing in when I tilted my head.

If you doing this already then a coach would be the next step otherwise there is plenty on the internet that will give you tips