Thanks all the responses.

now that you mention it - I did notice that I do have some sticky spittle build up in the pool that I don't recall having in my race on Sunday (not sure if I was just more focused on swimming as hard as possible).  Also something to factor in is if you are drinking juice just before or while swimming in the pool.

Not that this gives you a definitive answer to your question but thought I'd add my experience in.  What does Coach/Doctor Google say?

During and before swim, all I drink is plain water so can't see that being to much of an issue. I have googled previously and apparently on forums its a common thing. According to Google though I have severe asthma and will be died in the next few hours. 

What time of the day do u swim and check if and when the guys who maintain the pool add chlorine.
If you swim early mornings there is a good chance your breathing is being affected by the chlorine if they add it to the pool last thing at night or first thing in the morning.

This happened to me and some mates in our swim squad, we used train in the gym pool first thing when they opened, after some investigation we found out they were throwing in to much chlorine at night when the gym closed and then turning off the pool pumps the whole night and covering the pool.

I do think you have a point here. I swim at Boksburg public pool and I'm not sure when they put in the chlorine so will speak to them. If it is at night, we only swim in the mornings so we would get the full brunt of it. I haven't noticed a difference in phlegm from winter where there were covers to now when there aren't.

Quite a few articles online with regard to chlorine and swimming and issues therein.

Have read a few already however many don't mention ways of addressing the issue.

Chlorinated pool water definitely affects my sinuses, I started using a nose clip and it improved dramatically.

That's not a bad idea... may try that one

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all the responses.

During and before swim, all I drink is plain water so can't see that being to much of an issue. I have googled previously and apparently on forums its a common thing. According to Google though I have severe asthma and will be died in the next few hours.

I do think you have a point here. I swim at Boksburg public pool and I'm not sure when they put in the chlorine so will speak to them. If it is at night, we only swim in the mornings so we would get the full brunt of it. I haven't noticed a difference in phlegm from winter where there were covers to now when there aren't.

Have read a few already however many don't mention ways of addressing the issue.

That's not a bad idea... may try that one

Boksburg north indoor pool?

From my memory ( been awhile since I swam there)

it’s a large complex and fairly well ventilated.... so unless they are really abusing the chlorine usage it’s unlikely the problem.

Generally I find swimming tends to get the sinuses going, no matter where u swim ( sea, lake or pool) but this results in extra mucus and not coughing.

Thanks for the replies all.

I am going to chat to a coach on Friday about setting up a timetable for training (he focuses on training for busy, time pressured triathletes)

http://endurohub.co.za/end-of-an-era-for-xterra-south-africa/

After 16 exciting years of off-road triathlon racing, the organizers of XTERRA South Africa have announced that the event will not be hosted by Stillwater Sports in 2020.

“We’ve had 16 wonderful years of hosting XTERRA in South Africa,” says Michael Meyer, Managing Director Stillwater Sports.  “A highlight on SA’s multi-sport calendar, watching the event grow from year to year has been an incredible experience.  We had fourteen exciting years of working alongside XTERRA International, who owns the rights to XTERRA world-wide.  In 2017 XTERRA International welcomed new ownership and unfortunately we’ve been unable to come to an agreement for 2020 and thereafter.  We are proud of the fact that for a number of years XTERRA SA has donned the crown of the largest XTERRA in the world.  South Africa also boasts three world champions in Conrad Stoltz (2001, 2002, 2007 and 2010), Anke Erlank (2001) and Bradley Weiss (2017 and 2019).  A big congratulations to Bradley for claiming his second world championship title this past Sunday!  Another XTERRA SA Warrior that dominated the XTERRA racing scene for years is Dan Hugo and let’s not forget about the impressive achievements from SA’s age group contestants at the World Championship in Maui each year.  We are proud to be able to close off XTERRA SA on such a high note.  We would like to thank all our sponsors for their unwavering support. Without them the event would not have been possible.  Lastly to each and every XTERRA athlete thank you for being part of the XTERRA family.  Your support over the last 16 years had a valuable impact on the overall experience of the event.”    

For further information on Stillwater Sports email entries@stillwatersports.com or visit www.stillwatersports.com

In 2017 XTERRA International welcomed new ownership and unfortunately we’ve been unable to come to an agreement for 2020 and thereafter

So am guessing and reading between the lines.... new ownership wanted more money to use XTERRA name and bigger cut of any proceeds which XTERRA SA cannot afford/don't want to pay.

So am guessing and reading between the lines.... new ownership wanted more money to use XTERRA name and bigger cut of any proceeds which XTERRA SA cannot afford/don't want to pay.

Maybe not XTERRA SA, but Stillwater not willing to pay/bend over. Hoping there's another organiser which will still host it - preferably at the same venue! 

Maybe not XTERRA SA, but Stillwater not willing to pay/bend over. Hoping there's another organiser which will still host it - preferably at the same venue! 

A change of venue would be cool though. 

Franschoek would be cool. It's an awesome event. It would be a pity if it was closed down in SA, especially after we have had some international legends at X-Terra.

Every race you learn something! Well done on finishing. Hold your head high!

Heat or nutrition played a part?

Yes, heat was definitely a factor this year - the 2019 DNF is 18.1% compared to 13.5% in 2018.

But I must be honest - my cycling training was neglected in favour of the swimming and running. The reasoning was that I will improve my two weak legs and wing the cycling a bit - I mean how bad can 90km be after all these years right? hmm...

I was caught out (in a very bad way) with limited cycling preparation when the body had a slightly off day on a slightly hot day - normally my cycling fitness would/should buffer that on 90km ride.

I targeted a sub 6 after 6:30 last year. (I still think that should be a realistic target) This year was 7:03. Disappointing after all the training. Also a reality check how difficult it is to get preparation for all 3 legs correct on a single day!

Swimming went ~ok, last year my pace was 2:09/100 and my target was 1:56/100 for 2019 - end up with 1:59. (First 500 and last 500 was perfect 1:56, between that I was just simply stuck in a group and got water in my lungs attempting to break out of them) Lesson here: take the "outside" release gate to get clear water from the start / or be in the first 50-100 of the fast start bunch. (I started in the last 25% of the fast bunch, in the middle release gate)

Cycling sucked - lost about 25 minutes there. Was hungry as hell and only reason I did not stop at the familiar roadside food stalls for a roti & koppi was that I forgot to pack money...

One lesson here - I was in a hurry with my cycling shoes and pinned my left foot a bit. That foot was sleeping/numb when the run started and I had to stretched that out a bit.

Running I was so prepared for. (I really reached a point where a 10km run was really enjoyable at a 5:45 pace. Note that it took me 49 years to run that distance during a none-timed event for the first time. I really worked on this...) I thought I would easily do a sub7 min/km. Well that did not go to plan....about 5 min slower than last year. To be honest, I was so knackered after the cycling I could not demonstrate my newfound running skills. (Which I could on training brick sessions)

Like Mike Tyson said: "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" :(

So whats next? 

I thought this will be my last Langkawi, before moving to other locations/events. But it would be very difficult to leave this demon over my head. 

24 Nov there is a 1.8/50/12 event that I entered. Will try to recover some self confidence there. 

Learn from it now that you have post analysed the race.  Consistency is key across all disciplines, do not neglect any.  If you want to focus on 1 particular discipline more, then swap cycling by 1 workout for one of the others else try to make time to add more workouts into your week.

Sounds like you went too hard on the bike in the heat and nutrition on the bike needs to be looked at as this affected both your cycle and run.

Most races have mishaps as it is a long day endurance event.  Take comfort in that you dealt with them from the swim and sore foot and still pushed on to the finish.  Completing a 70.3 is still an achievement.

Have heard from many on social media that the heat on the day was a big factor.

Congrats once again on finishing!!

Also Trianthlons are mostly about the bike.  Its always the biggest part of the tri and the one discipline that cannot be overlooked. 

Also Trianthlons are mostly about the bike. Its always the biggest part of the tri and the one discipline that cannot be overlooked.

True that. For years I chased swimming PBs and was swimming loads. Had 1st AG in numerous events until I realised the gains were not worth the effort. So started focusing more on run and cycle.

Still slow AF but I ain’t swimming 500 kms a year anymore. So far this year around 12 kms including 70.3 and Olympic swims. I just get into groups an bide my time. ( but I am a strong swimmer)

Also Trianthlons are mostly about the bike.  Its always the biggest part of the tri and the one discipline that cannot be overlooked. 

For me triathlons are all about the run, if you can be a strong runner you can gain many places and have a good tri.

I agree that the cycling is the longest discipline and should not be overlooked

For me triathlons are all about the run, if you can be a strong runner you can gain many places and have a good tri.

I agree that the cycling is the longest discipline and should not be overlooked

S’true

Sadly for us not so talented runners

Old saying

The swim and bike just take you to the real start line

This becomes more true the longer the distance

At this years IM , we had friends who exited the water about 15 min after us, and came flying past on the bike shouting "kom manne lig daai bene". We just looked in awe and kept to our plan. We caught them on the run and finished +- 45min before them... It is mostly about the run...

S’true

Sadly for us not so talented runners

Old saying

The swim and bike just take you to the real start line

This becomes more true the longer the distance

Just ask Anne Haug ... am sure she will tell us its all about the run :)

any Bloem guys here?

heading to Bloem for the Dec holidays and looking for a pool (and no, the Stadium complex is not an option)