did my first tri is over 2 years yesterday.

Swim: 1.5km (garmin measured 1660m)

Water was cold (for me) and went with the wetsuit. I had issues breathing properly as I wasn't used to the tightness of the suit anymore. Took a good 10 minutes to find any sort of rhythm.

Time 31:52

Bike: 40km (actual 43km)

the south wester was pumping, which meant all uphills on the course will be mostly into the wind, and the flats with the wind.

Had a jol TT'ing with the wind

Time 1:31:26

Run: 10km (actual 9.38km)

Was dreading the run as it's usually where the wheels come off. Met up with a buddy just outside T2 and ran with him for a short while. He eventually dropped back, but my legs felt great, so decided to (try) stick to under 6min/km. Still had some reserves turning for my last lap and decided to empty the tank to get a sub3

Time 52:26

Very happy with my total time of 3:00:10 hours, now just to get used to the wetsuit again.

p.s. it's really difficult to pee with a trisuit, especially when you are in a hurry and the wind is blowing.

Congratulations

It’s time I pulled finger and did another tri

Looking at a standard distance event in +/- June next year.

I just find the swim training such a schlep

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

update

official results are out now I'm even happier, not a bad placing for a fatboy....  :clap:  :clap: 

Congrats. Next goal to shave off 12 mins and make the top 10!!.... then work from there ;)

Congrats. Next goal to shave off 12 mins and make the top 10!!.... then work from there ;)

Thanks

that will need to happen in the water  :wacko:  :blink:

Strange question with regards to Swimming in a chlorine pool. Does anyone feel like they struggle breathing due to a phlegm build up?

I feel I have to cough a few time during the set just to get through it.

I only get this in chlorine pools and not in open water dam/lake swims. Haven't swum in a Salt water pool yet however I don't get this issue when I swim in the ocean.

now that you mention it - I did notice that I do have some sticky spittle build up in the pool that I don't recall having in my race on Sunday (not sure if I was just more focused on swimming as hard as possible).  Also something to factor in is if you are drinking juice just before or while swimming in the pool.

Not that this gives you a definitive answer to your question but thought I'd add my experience in.  What does Coach/Doctor Google say?

Strange question with regards to Swimming in a chlorine pool. Does anyone feel like they struggle breathing due to a phlegm build up?

I feel I have to cough a few time during the set just to get through it.

I only get this in chlorine pools and not in open water dam/lake swims. Haven't swum in a Salt water pool yet however I don't get this issue when I swim in the ocean.

What time of the day do u swim and check if and when the guys who maintain the pool add chlorine.

If you swim early mornings there is a good chance your breathing is being affected by the chlorine if they add it to the pool last thing at night or first thing in the morning.

This happened to me and some mates in our swim squad, we used train in the gym pool first thing when they opened, after some investigation we found out they were throwing in to much chlorine at night when the gym closed and then turning off the pool pumps the whole night and covering the pool.

70.3 Langkawi V2.0

Let's see if the 2018 lessons can be applied.

Sadly/Weirdly the cycling is my least prepared leg.

Nervous, praying for rain tomorrow 7fa6271688f5200f16748b8a479b0511.jpgc5ddeda1c641a85625399febbe0bc28a.jpg

sjoe, took a beating today :(

30minutes slower than last year instead of 30 minutes faster.... I definitely still dit not figure this thing out yet.

Three days of R&R, and to to retrospect today.

Not a pretty sight at the finish:

231e2330e08b2c8d6edcf8b5805f45cd.jpg

Edited by Zatopek

Every race you learn something! Well done on finishing. Hold your head high!

Heat or nutrition played a part?

Edited by shaper

Hi guys/gals. Looking for some help please. Any swimming groups in the Durbanville area? I’m no ironman/triathlete, but I would like to give it a go in a year or two. I would like to join a swimming group in the meantime and I have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance. JH.