Whitters

I remember 2010 was thick slushy mud for the whole of stage one and then a rainy start with the detour for stage 2. Stage 3 was the only stage with no rain.

I was disappointed mostly for riders that hadn't had the opportunity to go into the Umko valley via Nics pass, but I think the organizers made a good call otherwise they may have been airlifting a lot of riders out of the valley

I think you missed my point... racing on day 2 is really what decides the overalll outcome usually, so I was wondering why they werent taken on the same route. Skip Umko and go on the district roads to Mamba gorge, and then let them sort it out from there. It sounds like there was a little zing in it from the Nando stop anyhow. Just watched Gawie give Oli an interview on Twitter.

Must say though it looked bloody miserable and cold so kudos to everyone doing it, and i feel for farmer Glen as it should be a spectacle rather than a mudfest.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did the descent 2 years ago in good conditions.  A lady crashed 2/3rds of the way down a few minutes before we arrived on the scene and was bleeding badly from head and face wounds, there were riders helping her but I gather it took over 2 hours for the medical to get in and get her out... and that was in dry conditions.

I did Sani last year so know the descent. It wouldn't bother me to ride it in the rain. Guess I am alone on that decision. 

Have you done the Umko Drop in pouring rain and driving winds before?

Have you ever done it in less than perfect conditions?

Believe me, the organisers (Farmer Glen and Co.) knows that route very well, and they would not have made the decision if it was not in the best interest /safety of the competitors. 

I think you missed my point... racing on day 2 is really what decides the overalll outcome usually, so I was wondering why they werent taken on the same route. Skip Umko and go on the district roads to Mamba gorge, and then let them sort it out from there. It sounds like there was a little zing in it from the Nando stop anyhow. Just watched Gawie give Oli an interview on Twitter.

Must say though it looked bloody miserable and cold so kudos to everyone doing it, and i feel for farmer Glen as it should be a spectacle rather than a mudfest.

aah yes, I think I did miss your point, I understand what you're saying.

I was just reminiscing mindlessly rather than commenting on the racing aspect  :blush:

Look, in summary. Farmer Glen has done a better job than most in creating superb events. He has probably had to face a multitude of tough challenges over the last decade in achieving the levels of success he has.

He is the Sani2C expert, so I trust his judgment on that race more than anybody else's.

If he says it's a bad idea to send the riders down there, it more than likely is.

Look, in summary. Farmer Glen has done a better job than most in creating superb events. He has probably had to face a multitude of tough challenges over the last decade in achieving the levels of success he has.

He is the Sani2C expert, so I trust his judgment on that race more than anybody else's.

If he says it's a bad idea to send the riders down there, it more than likely is.

I wouldnt call any midlands farmer a sissy. 

Maybe not completely alone, I think given the choice there would be 3 groups of people.

• Those that do the descent in the rain because they know what to expect and have a lot of faith in their technical ability
  • Those that do the descent because they've never done it and are blissfully ignorant/unaware
  • Those that have done it before and value their lives too much to take a chance (I'd be in this group)

I have no doubt that it can be ridden whilst it's raining, but slippery conditions, mud being flung up into your eyes from the rider ahead, no visibility because your glasses are covered in mud... I reckon it would be a recipe for disaster

It isn't just about doing the decent.....

1 - hard to access for medical personnel... except by chopper... and choppers grounded in the rain....

2 - what is that river at the bottom flowing like? might be a flood - especially further up the valley - and impossible to cross in practical terms - let alone extract an injured or trapped rider

A very good and sensible decision to have a neutral day imho.

I have never done Sani2C, and don't know the Umko descent's difficulty, but aren't the riders who qualified/seeded for the "RACE" version quite technically proficient?

Yeah, A bunch have skills, and from there on it's weekend warriors all the way down to J...

I did Sani last year so know the descent. It wouldn't bother me to ride it in the rain. Guess I am alone on that decision.

I "rode" down there when it rained heavily the night before. We spent more time lying on our sides in the mud than we did riding our bikes. One minute you're riding in a straight line. next minute you're lying face first in a foot of mud. And luckily for us, the rain had stopped.

I know of one person who had to be airlifted out.

Thankfully, you're not a race organiser...

Last rode Sani in pissing rain in 2006 - first day was a nightmare - 12 degrees and nearly went hypothermic.

There was some Auntie making pancakes with bananas in them, at a railway crossing. I ate 8 of them and my partner 12. I think she was wondering when we would burst. Just fed us another and another and looked on in amazement.

Burned upwards of 7000 calories i think....

The issue wasn't the technical downs -- it was the mud destroying bikes and caking on the tyres which eventually just stopped you in your tracks.

Resin brake pads you said?

Very long and not so memorable day on the bike. Day 2 was shortened and changed as well....

Have you done the Umko Drop in pouring rain and driving winds before?

Have you ever done it in less than perfect conditions?

Believe me, the organisers (Farmer Glen and Co.) knows that route very well, and they would not have made the decision if it was not in the best interest /safety of the competitors. 

It is more an issue of he knows how limited the majority of entrants skill levels are. Unfortunately all these big races, Epic included, have to pander to those paying the big buks. So he takes the money and has to moddy coddlethem most of them all the way. 

The problem is that you're not alone unless you're leading the race and the fact that you're chewing the fat with us and not racing would suggest that you won't be. So your skill set would have to include the ability to contend with other riders shortcomings. This year we were mid-packers on the Trail and in perfect conditions but we still had to compensate for riders who are more than capable overall but lacked skill when things got tight. Now add mud, rain and low visibility into the mix things will get get very hairy, I really enjoy technical riding so I would relish the added challenge of adverse weather conditions but trying to tackle it with the unpredictability of other riders on the track would be stupid.

It is more an issue of he knows how limited the majority of entrants skill levels are. Unfortunately all these big races, Epic included, have to pander to those paying the big buks. So he takes the money and has to moddy coddlethem most of them all the way. 

I have had whatsapp comments from 2 teams riding with skills aplenty - both don't think you could walk down the umko decent... let alone ride it...

And they are approaching hypothermia too...

AND the mattresses are wet at Jolivet.... a nightmare...

I have had whatsapp comments from 2 teams riding with skills aplenty - both don't think you could walk down the umko decent... let alone ride it...

And they are approaching hypothermia too...

AND the mattresses are wet at Jolivet.... a nightmare...

Eish and we had such a jol on the Trail that's the luck of the draw :(

Did it in 2013 slip-sliding all the way down. There were overnight rain but dry when we started. Lets just call it an interesting descent. Lots of people by the wayside, the switch-backs were pure hoping for the best, no control, braking was hazardous. A lot of energy is used going down in those conditions and the whole day slows down. In hindsight it was a wonderful experience that really tested you skills. 

To do it in the rain?? I'm not that good

in 2014 - What a ride :clap:  :clap:

Eish and we had such a jol on the Trail that's the luck of the draw :(

Something like that... :) but we have had bad conditions on the trail and perfect on the race before too.... luck of the draw....

Medically - if the conditions are as cold as I think they are, then a slow extraction of an injured person will be a major problem - taking 2 or 3 hours to extract a patient going into shock and with associated hypothermia is going to be a TOTAL pain to deal with - definitely need hospitals with experienced staff to manage that.... Farmer Glen has made an excellent decision under the circumstances

- the only alternative I could see would have been to delay day 2 till tomorrow - pretty sure that would also have had issues.

I see Mighty Mouse has withdrawn - does not want to risk conditions with his newly healed collarbone.

We came 16th overall in the trail, so I would say we have a fair amount of skill, and there is no way I would do the umko descent in the rain.

Archived