Pure Savage

Thought I would create this thread for those with a little more knowledge about cars to help us that are not up to scratch with what is normal and not normal.

My first issue: My battery in my Honda accord was installed in September 2014 and its already dead as a door nail and not holding charge. Is this normal?

Also what my discovery tracker device I had tested is pulling ampage when the car is off, I have requested this to be removed. 

Please feel free to ask any car maintenance questions and stuff here.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would create this thread for those with a little more knowledge about cars to help us that are not up to scratch with what is normal and not normal.

My first issue: My battery in my Honda accord was installed in September 2014 and its already dead as a door nail and not holding charge. Is this normal?

Also what my discovery tracker device I had tested is pulling ampage when the car is off, I have requested this to be removed. 

I was just going to suggest checking your tracking device... those buggers are thirsty... 

I was just going to suggest checking your tracking device... those buggers are thirsty... 

Even still is less than 2 years for a battery reasonable?

did you do any maintenance on the battery? (check fluid levels etc)

did you do any maintenance on the battery? (check fluid levels etc)

Yup, all good. Also have a trickle charger if I leave for more than 2 weeks.

If you do lots of short trips in a fairly new tech car (new tech needs constant battery power for all the gadgets - apparently) then the battery does not get enough time to recharge and you end up killing it within a short span.

However, 2 years is very short, but then again depending on the battery spec size etc.

2 Years is not unheard off life for a battery.

They sometimes last longer when car gets to drive longer distances. 

Sometimes devices like Immobolizers, Alarms, Trackers or Gadgets can cause extensive drain. 

This with short townlike trips could kill battery.

Dont rule out a short somewhere in car (drains it constantly).

The guys at battery place told me to check amps while car off had to be sub 0.7amps if i remember correctly, Speaking under possible correction.

Please dont attempt this if you dont have at least basic knowledge of how electrical systems work.

Also be carefull of today's cars with ecu's they dislike fluctuations in electrical power so jumpstarting can sometimes be  a problem.

I have heard that LED headlights can sometimes cause issues with some systems as well (aftermarket installations)

Most new batteries are maintenance free, sealed so can not check fluid. Another aspect that can be checked is the charging rate of the alternator. Should be in the region of about 13v+ when the rpm's increase.

depending on what make u have....some batteries have a 2 year warranty... so check your receipt. think the exide sealed units carry a 2 year warranty. have the battery load tested at an electrical or battery place. this will show if one of the cells are dead.

depending on what make u have....some batteries have a 2 year warranty... so check your receipt. think the exide sealed units carry a 2 year warranty. have the battery load tested at an electrical or battery place. this will show if one of the cells are dead.

Thats where the battery is sitting at the moment

They say those load tests can also break a working battery, a very useful "diagnostic" test from the battery shops perspective. But if a battery won't hold a charge it's broken no matter what any other test will determine.

I always go with 2yr warranty batteries, not much more expensive and typically a better battery to boot, win/win.

Edited by Skylark

My x3 has its original battery... **** you not.. 

8 years and going strong

Same with a Hilux I had. 2008 model, traded it in early this year, still on original battery, started every time without fail. It also had a tracker installed, so that clearly had zero effect on battery life.

A 2 year battery failure is not normal, no matter what equipment is fitted.

If a diagnostic load pull "breaks" a battery then it was probably dying anyway... the load test just sped up the inevitable. 2 years is about average life I have received out of car batteries.