Nino's Suspension Choice

jcmeyerSS

yeah, so he had a shocker of a lap 2, 3 & 4 but then brought it back on laps 5 6 & had a stellar lap 7. Nino also reaaaaally backed off on lap 7!

Yeah, Nino was doing some Nino whips on that last lap..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those lap times just prove that Absalon is a slow starter, not sure if this is because of his age or whatever, and Nino can relax after he built up the gap. Even if the race was longer I'm convinced he would not have caught Nino.

Only way for Julien is to improve his starts, which I'm not sure is possible ... unless he starts training with Nino perhaps

No secret that Julian starts slower, he more often than not has to play catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott has been at this for a good many years,

A little more subtle in the past than now, but clearly they must've copied the design of the previous RC from Raleigh!

Its all yellow and has a horizontally mounted shock! ????????9f193c656252977a3ef137d507148f78.jpg

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Scott has been at this for a good many years,

A little more subtle in the past than now, but clearly they must've copied the design of the previous RC from Raleigh!

Its all yellow and has a horizontally mounted shock! 9f193c656252977a3ef137d507148f78.jpg

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

:clap:

yeah, and like the new Silverback Sesta "Flexstay" stuff. 

Include the Felt Edict. They said the natural position of the carbon rear triangle was set at the expected sagging point creating a natural position of the entire setup. Needless to say, I own a Edict. Very nice bike!

Some of these designs are not patented ,so you will see  companies going for those that will keep production costs down ..They will play around with the shock placement to optimize the use of the bike and the progressiveness of the suspension. Rocky mountain is optimized for low gear climbing .Transition smuggler neutral to better for descendinghttp://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/products/3435/photos/2232/s780_fr265g00_red.jpg?1319768090http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/products/16834/photos/19349/s1600_2016_Transition_Smuggler_1.jpg?1453456920

Same as old scott. Needs a lockout to be efficient under power. 

But the pivot point is above the chainline, which means it at least has some forces acting against the bob (as you pedal in small ring - less than 34, probably) it pulls the rear triangle DOWN, which acts to extend the shock and give an element of pedalling efficiency. 

But the 96 / 69 / whatever, nyet. Their claim "climbs like a hardtail" is true cos you have to lock the thing out to allow it to climb with any efficiency. Unless you put a 28/30t chainring on there, in which case you won't need it as much.

From the Merida stable, the other bikes (with proper linkages) are better IMO.

But hey - I'm still ignorant when it comes to these things. I don't know what is good or bad, beyond the basics. I read a lot, that's all...

READ - what and where, please?

Your explanation in 1 post has taught me more about suspension design than ALL my previous reading.

Thanks for that, Myles.

READ - what and where, please?

Your explanation in 1 post has taught me more about suspension design than ALL my previous reading.

Thanks for that, Myles.

Pinkbike, suspension design stuff, this guy (andrextr on youtjoop) is also a good source

You'd also be amazed what's out there if you just search for it... Google should launch a university, I swear. 

Sifting out the BS is a bit time consuming, though. And also finding up to date literature. 

Archived