Drilling Frame for Stealth Routing

AlanD

Gonna pick up this thread.. I have a 2013 anthem X, and ive been tempted to drill it for stealth routing. Dont do any serious stuff on the bike like big drops, and im at 80kg. Cant imagine it would stress the frame too much.. I would like to run the dropper cable all the way through the frame and passed the press fit bb, but im not sure of 2 things. Firstly, are the tubes (seat tube and bottom tube) even open on the inside? Like do they connect? And secondly, will there be space for the cable passed the pfbb? Because if that would work i only have to drill one hole near the headset for the cable. Does anyone have any idea what the inside of the frame is like on an alu anthem?

You should be able to get the cable past the BB.  The seat tube and the downtube open up into the BB shell.  It is a pretty tight fit and a bit of a pita but many have done it successfully.

Edited by PeterF

Gonna pick up this thread.. I have a 2013 anthem X, and ive been tempted to drill it for stealth routing. Dont do any serious stuff on the bike like big drops, and im at 80kg. Cant imagine it would stress the frame too much.. I would like to run the dropper cable all the way through the frame and passed the press fit bb, but im not sure of 2 things. Firstly, are the tubes (seat tube and bottom tube) even open on the inside? Like do they connect? And secondly, will there be space for the cable passed the pfbb? Because if that would work i only have to drill one hole near the headset for the cable. Does anyone have any idea what the inside of the frame is like on an alu anthem?

I drilled my wife's Zula for a stealth cable but avoided any issues with the BB by simply taking the cable out of the seat tube a few cm above the junction with the BB. You could do the same and then run the cable up the top of the down tube with the other cables there. Far simpler than trying to get a cable around the BB...

On the Anthem if you're running 1x then you have the tabs which would normally hold the front derailleur cable along the top tube which are now just sitting there doing nothing.  Why not use these with one of the new style external dropper posts where the activation piece is around the bottom collar and you then don't have the cable bouncing up and down.  It looks neat, works well, doesn't get in the way and doesn't require you drilling your frame. 

https://www.lynecomponents.com/external-droppers

On the Anthem if you're running 1x then you have the tabs which would normally hold the front derailleur cable along the top tube which are now just sitting there doing nothing. Why not use these with one of the new style external dropper posts where the activation piece is around the bottom collar and you then don't have the cable bouncing up and down. It looks neat, works well, doesn't get in the way and doesn't require you drilling your frame.

https://www.lynecomponents.com/external-droppers

Im actually doing exactly that, running 1x and got an external 125mm lyne dropper. Just really want that clean look, and ive got room for a dropper up to even 200mm. So just keeping an eye out for a dropper and then considering going internal

• 8 months later...

Hi, im a owner of an old LaPierre Bicycle, i already have a droper seat post, but is a internal or stealth seat post. I need to know if you can help me, i need to drill a hole to have the possibility to install the internal working droper post. It's possible to unofficially say, were is the best place to do a drill on frame, must be on the seat tube, but i need to know were is the spot with less stress to drill a clean hole safely, in a way that have a less risk to compromise the integrity of the frame, the frame in question is an old Spicy frame, from 2009 -2011 i think.

post-153431-0-65567100-1573143063_thumb.jpg

post-153431-0-61507300-1573143085_thumb.jpg

post-153431-0-30235700-1573143411_thumb.jpg

Drill through that sticker above the pivot in the seat tube then drill the same hole about 3 mm above that and filled the two holes together

That will give you A slot rather than hole and it should be solid in that area