What is the biggest bike and/or bike gear buy mistake you have made?

Hi All

Get the popcorn & beer out!
This is my mid week sad rant.

So as the topic title suggests, what is the biggest mistake you have made when buying bikes / bike related gear that you regret till this day?

Mine was selling my heavily modified GT avalanche 1.0 26er (full XT, FOX 110-140mm talas, Stans ZTR's) a few years back to buy a Giant XTC 0 29.
It was my first mountain bike that became my modding project.
I am truly pissed at myself for letting go of my GT, it was so much fun to ride, playful & fast. IT WAS BAKGAT, it ate trails and XC courses for breakfast! It was tough as nails!

Don't get me wrong I don't particularly dislike the XTC, it's a racing machine but I find the ride boring as hell, it's so tame, wants to stay planted to the ground, its just meh...
I do suppose I hate it so much lately as these days I mostly ride trails and shy away from races.

So GT if you are still out there listening, I miss you buddy, so damn much.

-- edit --
Fixed Topic title mistake

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a bunch of Rapha stuff online, and tried to hide it from my wife.

Big mistake. She noticed.

Cost me a trip to Mauritius.....

Did she go alone?

The wife always knows!

So as the topic title suggests, what is the biggest mistake you have made when buying bikes / bike 

the topic doesn't suggest that at all..

"What is the biggest bike & bike gear buy you have made?"

My initial thought was it was a topic about strutting your peacock feathers and your exorbitant purchases

the topic doesn't suggest that at all..

"What is the biggest bike & bike gear buy you have made?"

My initial thought was it was a topic about strutting your peacock feathers and your exorbitant purchases

My bad! There should be a "mistake" in the title. Will try fix!

A Go-Pro for Sani two years back.

Last time I used it? Two years back.

unless you are an extreme sports fanatic or a teenager - they are pretty useless. I used one (not mine) for berg and bush once - while it was lekker fun..I was certainly glad I hadn't coughed up cash for it

time for THAT video

unless you are an extreme sports fanatic or a teenager - they are pretty useless. I used one (not mine) for berg and bush once - while it was lekker fun..I was certainly glad I hadn't coughed up cash for it

time for THAT video

I wont buy a gopro.....although people with gopros seem to enjoy riding behind me,  I think it is because sooner or later you will see me eat some dirt.  Ask Chukky....he has me going over the bars.  And it was not an "awesome" crash,  It was a " what a noob" one. :wacko: Im expecting one day to get a blackmail letter :ph34r:

time for THAT video

Gee Stretch, you sure do get around :eek:

Thought you said get out the beer and popcorn....

after the first post it was the violins and we had to hide the sharp knives...

you miss that GT bud...

Mine was a volcan Duallie bought for the missus on this forum. wasn't quite the condition described and had two years of breakdowns and crap.. sh8t bike. don't miss it at all.

Archived