DIY front and rear shock service

Dirkitech

Hi All,

About a year ago I had a LBS do a complete rebuild and shock service on my bike. It wasn't a month before I started noticing reduced performance from the front shock and a few more months from the rear shock. I think the LBS messed up something or didn't replace all the seals as I requested, because prior to having my shocks serviced they never gave any trouble and only wanted the service since I bought the bike 2nd hand and wanted to make sure nothing is going to break on me.

My problem is that as a student I cannot afford another full shock service, so I am trying to learn from online sources how to service a front air shock rockshox world cup and a rear air fox float R with brain.

Has anyone on this forum self serviced their air shocks similar to these?

Is it difficult or risky or tedious?

Is self servicing costly and perhaps not worth the time and trouble?

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fork's easy, the shock is best left to someone who knows what they're doing.

Did the LBS send them off or do them in-house? 

Did you asked for a "" oil and wiper kit "" service ?

This a basis essential service very 6 months

(Not that difficult via Google and Youtube )

When you experience other issues they need special attention and parts 

Done by an experienced workshop or the agents 

As a student you should have done your research regarding any "" Brain "" shock ... its going to cost you $$$$

The brain shocks can ONLY be done at Specialized...and its going to cost you....

As Crosschain says, most people will ask for the "seals" to be changed but the fact of the matter is that most shops will (because they don't know how or a true "full service" takes too much time) do a dust wiper replacement and that is it...a dust wiper (the seals that are visible at the top of the legs) are really easy to do and take like 30mins to change because its so basic...

Basically its going to cost you to get a comprehensive service done, take it to the sheriff (Anton at Summit Cycles)...he is a Spaz dealer (for the brain) and will do a decent job on the fork in house.

Trying to open things up yourself if you haven't a clue how things work can quickly turn into an oily mess in an ice cream tub of parts, you need a pretty sterile environment to clean and inspect the old parts as well.

The brain shocks can ONLY be done at Specialized...and its going to cost you....

As Crosschain says, most people will ask for the "seals" to be changed but the fact of the matter is that most shops will (because they don't know how or a true "full service" takes too much time) do a dust wiper replacement and that is it...a dust wiper (the seals that are visible at the top of the legs) are really easy to do and take like 30mins to change because its so basic...

Basically its going to cost you to get a comprehensive service done, take it to the sheriff (Anton at Summit Cycles)...he is a Spaz dealer (for the brain) and will do a decent job on the fork in house.

Trying to open things up yourself if you haven't a clue how things work can quickly turn into an oily mess in an ice cream tub of parts, you need a pretty sterile environment to clean and inspect the old parts as well.

Quite often they'll just clean the wipers and change the oil. I've seen many a worn stanchion from this.

Anton will do a proper job though.

I have serviced RS Lyrik Solo Air, RS Domain and a couple of others. All the documentation, fluids and tools are shown as well as a step by step process are available for download on SRAMs website. Pretty simple if you follow them carefully and also a good learning experience!

The fork's easy, the shock is best left to someone who knows what they're doing.

Did the LBS send them off or do them in-house? 

I believe they did it in-house.

Thank you, I will contact Anton. The previous service was around R1700 - any ballpark figures if he charges more or the same?

To be honest I couldn't tell you what he charges...I work in the industry so he does a dealer price for me...

I believe they did it in-house.

Thank you, I will contact Anton. The previous service was around R1700 - any ballpark figures if he charges more or the same?

If memory serves the rear Brain Shock will be more than R1500 on its own. This does include sending it to CT and back. Have messaged someone for a price.

If memory serves the rear Brain Shock will be more than R1500 on its own. This does include sending it to CT and back. Have messaged someone for a price.

Ok just got a reply, I was a bit off the mark. Rear Shock R1200 and a complete Fork service including wipers, air side, rebound side, oil, and labor should be ±R750 (not sure of JHB pricing)

Ok just got a reply, I was a bit off the mark. Rear Shock R1200 and a complete Fork service including wipers, air side, rebound side, oil, and labor should be ±R750 (not sure of JHB pricing)

Hi Spoke, thanks for checking! Where is this or through who? I am definitely interested.

Hi Spoke, thanks for checking! Where is this or through who? I am definitely interested.

The R1200 is a standard price set by Specialized SA. All Specialized dealers should charge this price. I'm in Pietermaritzburg so go have a chat with Anton as he is a Spez dealer.

Also ask if they charge a fee for removal and replacement of the Fork and Shock, to and from the bike as some shops do charge for this and you can do this yourself with a multi-tool and then just take the items in by them selves. 

The R1200 is a standard price set by Specialized SA. All Specialized dealers should charge this price. I'm in Pietermaritzburg so go have a chat with Anton as he is a Spez dealer.

Also ask if they charge a fee for removal and replacement of the Fork and Shock, to and from the bike as some shops do charge for this and you can do this yourself with a multi-tool and then just take the items in by them selves. 

Thanks a lot for the advice and explanation - its really helpful, which is the next best thing to a diy video :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread of my own.
So last time I did take my dual sus to Anton and Summit Cycles and was really happy with the results of the fork and shock services!

After finishing the road bike, the MTB hasn't seen as frequent action and didn't realise the fork isn't holding pressure anymore. The lockout still turns it rigid, but without it, even pumped to 150PSI sags to about 40% immediately. I would this time round like to do the lowers on my fork myself, but don't know where to find the seals etc. kit nor what price to expect for the RS Reba WC 26".

I've emailed rushsports, but want to keep local Jhb shops in mind too - can anyone advise please?

I've read through like 10 threads, including https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/170038-how-forked-is-your-fork/page-14?hl=fork%20service
and it seems like I should expect a price around R250-300 for the kit?

Edited by Dirkitech

No need to replace the "seals" or rather O-rings yet. 

Just take the lowers of and redo the foam rings (wash them with turps) and oil them up with 5w oil

WRT to the lock-out work. that is because the lockout is on the right leg and works with the oil.

Now for the air side, and I have see this problem before, open the left side by taking the C-Clip out and pull out the Air shaft (remove air before you start) Now take the aircap off and run a CLEAN rag through the stantion. 

Now look at the airshaft and O-rings and you will more than likely find the problem

1. O-Rings was sliced / damaged when put into Stantion

2. there is a piece of lint or something stuck on the O-rings causing the leak.

Check the top O-ring on the air-shaft and then very bottom one that came out when you took the c-clip out.

If the O-rings is cut, take it to any O-rings shop and get a new one for R2 and put it in. Done

I buy O-rings in bulk from local O-ring/bearing shop and  20 sets cost me R360 rand. :-)

The Rubber wipers and foam rings I get from LBS and it is around R300 per set, but I found that if I do a lower service often I don’t need to replace those for at least 200hours

With the 40% sag I would replace the air side seals as well.  The wiper kit alone is about R300 - wipers and foam rings - and the full kit from RS around R650.  You can get the o'ring seals and crush washers (not RS) for about R160 making the cheapest solution around R460 plus oil.  Right now Cape Cycles do not have stock of the 32 mm wipers.