Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Any parts of the trails closed this weekend due to Forestry activities?

Sheesh..sorry ... I somehow missed your message :(

Good news is no sections are closed at the moment BUT please be aware of harvesting taking place close to where Howick Trails and Karkloof Trails meet (exiting Minx).

Andrews Able section is open but has not yet been cleared so is basically un-ridable after the harvesting

2017 is going to be a different story though.. there is a lot of harvesting planned that will affect the Howick Trails

Sheesh..sorry ... I somehow missed your message :(

Good news is no sections are closed at the moment BUT please be aware of harvesting taking place close to where Howick Trails and Karkloof Trails meet (exiting Minx).

Andrews Able section is open but has not yet been cleared so is basically un-ridable after the harvesting

2017 is going to be a different story though.. there is a lot of harvesting planned that will affect the Howick Trails

The Howick MTB Club Spring Newsletter goes out this evening. If you have not yet subscribed please pop me a PM and I will add you to the mailing list. The quarterly Newsletter has lots of important news and gives insights into what is planned for the future as well as highlighting aspects that affect the trails

Reminder that Early Bird annual Howick MTB Club memberships open on 1 Oct. The early bird special runs until 31 Dec and allows you to renew/sign up for an annual Howick MTB Club membership for 2017 at the 2016 price. If you are a new member it also gives you the remaining 3 months of 2016 included.

Howick MTB Club has reciprocity with Karkloof MTB Club which entitles ANNUAL members to ride both trail networks under one membership. Day licenses only cover Howick Trails.

Your annual Howick MTB Club board can also be used for any ROAG administered event so there is no need to keep changing boards.

Annual memberships can be done online at http://www.roag.co.za/entries--info.aspx from 1 Oct 2016

post-7405-0-44182200-1472729964.jpg

Most of the trails are nice and clean at the moment thanks to Griffin. Trails are riding nice and fast due to hard pack and little rain. Good time to be out on the tracks.

Couple of us are heading down there 2nd week in Oct from Jozi for a weekend of fun and really looking forward to it!

what routes/trails would you guys recommend, we definitely not the fittest or most skilled riders but all about a good time with the mates and getting out there and having a jol.

so which are the easier and which are the more advanced/serious routes?

Karkloof- All of the options, 20km/30km/ supa20/ etc are nice and not too difficult. (not sure when Hylton will finish the new trails). The 60 Km Outback requires a higher level of fitness and skill if you take the Bull runs.

Howick- difficult to explain because there are so many options of trail to take. There is a set 30 k (blue arrow board) that you can follow to get some good riding. Otherwise download the trail map. Howick is a network of trails and does not follow a subscribed route. Generally one climbs to the Fire Tower via Porcupine  Way or Howies and takes one of the following options, The Face/Catherines/Pines/Gums/Ingulube route back down. The routes are marked by difficulty by red arrows. Eg. the Face is 5 arrow and must be taken with care if you not sure of skill level.

We are trying to get a monthly Howick Mtb trail day going to introduce new riders to the trails. Let us know when you are around and we could maybe schedule such a day for when you are down. We try to include as much fun as possible in. :thumbup:

Karkloof- All of the options, 20km/30km/ supa20/ etc are nice and not too difficult. (not sure when Hylton will finish the new trails). The 60 Km Outback requires a higher level of fitness and skill if you take the Bull runs.

Howick- difficult to explain because there are so many options of trail to take. There is a set 30 k (blue arrow board) that you can follow to get some good riding. Otherwise download the trail map. Howick is a network of trails and does not follow a subscribed route. Generally one climbs to the Fire Tower via Porcupine  Way or Howies and takes one of the following options, The Face/Catherines/Pines/Gums/Ingulube route back down. The routes are marked by difficulty by red arrows. Eg. the Face is 5 arrow and must be taken with care if you not sure of skill level.

We are trying to get a monthly Howick Mtb trail day going to introduce new riders to the trails. Let us know when you are around and we could maybe schedule such a day for when you are down. We try to include as much fun as possible in. :thumbup:

Cool and shot for the info!  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

post-7405-0-38672500-1473935371.jpg

Trail Update : wind speed is forecast 50-60km/hr with wind gusts between 70-85km/hr, temperature 29 and humidity 18% - RED FIRE DANGER INDEX 95 (NO RAIN FACTOR) - winds should start to subside late afternoon, early evening on Friday, turning to a southerly wind with the arrival of the cold front and a weekend of rain. Please note all Howick MTB trails are CLOSED with immediate effect for the duration of this high FDI.

Edited by Griffin

Let us know when you are around and we could maybe schedule such a day for when you are down. We try to include as much fun as possible in. :thumbup:

I would take him up on this offer..the best way to experience howick is riding with a regular because there are so many trails you can ride..in this case it means you would have to put up with chainsaw for a morning...but that is a small price to pay

Just so that we all on the same page  (or bike board )..

attachicon.gifmembership board.jpg

I usually ride with my phone, which has a photo of my Howick board. Hope that's ok?

also, please add me to the newsletter mailing list. will PM you

thanks Griffin!

I usually ride with my phone, which has a photo of my Howick board. Hope that's ok?

also, please add me to the newsletter mailing list. will PM you

thanks Griffin!

Umm.. in a word... no (to the phone pic of your board)

Reasoning : 

- The board allows us to ID annual members from a distance, avoiding us having to stop riders and ask/check details

- The board is also a means of identification so if riders are seen breaking any rules then we know who they are. We can trace an board number to a name and take any necessary action. We have had cases where illegal riders refuse to give thier names and laugh cause they think they untouchable

- "No Mr Traffic Officer, I don't have my drivers licence with me.. but here is a photo of it from my phone..." Same principle lol

We realise that it can be a small hassle to have your board on your bike or a day licence with you but its one of the few ways we can enforce legal access to he trails