Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

:blink: My baking :w00t:

You so funny Grif.

Ask Chainsaw why he is such a skraal oke.  :whistling:

But okay....guess the colour right and invite the winner for a ride.   I'll bake for a victim guest. :thumbup: Ill throw in a long sleeved club shirt. 

Blondonabike is sponsoring a plate of brownies to the first person to guess the 2018 sticker colour... ;)

Ok I am in: 2018 Colour will be Pink.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howzit guys?

If you were to do 2,500 meters climbing in one ride of say 85 km where would you do that in Howick/Karkloof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howzit guys?

If you were to do 2,500 meters climbing in one ride of say 85 km where would you do that in Howick/Karkloof?

I'm assuming you are training for an event :blink: :)

Or you lost a bet :lol:

You asking for some pain here.....

It depends on what sort of climbing you would like to do. 

The karkloof 60km outback trails route has 1600m climbing.  The climbing is along district roads and forest service roads.  You could then do one of the karkloof shorter trails afterwards to make up the distance (maybe another 500m climbing) But you will end up a bit short on the climbing.

Other option is Howick,  which is super for technical climbing (Howies, Nyaga Nyaga, The mother).  You can also ride trails like dhula ngulube, pines extension and gums extension backwards.  Good fun if you feeling fresh. :lol: Our trails are bidirectional.   Otherwise the are many other non technical climbs, (six beer hill, porcupine way, yellow brick road, Vodacom Climb) Basically you will be doing an 85km long Enduro :D

If you would like me to plan a route for you let me know, Happy to help

Edited by blondeonabike

Howzit guys?

I wouldn't bugger around, just ride from pmb to Hilton and back until you get the 2500. I used to ride down that hill to school and back up again to get home back in the day Edited by Wahoofish

I love that climb. Start at cascades, up Montgomery dr through Hilton until the Bridge over the N2. Bit further and you drop into the grace college trails. Love that ride.

I'm assuming you are training for an event :blink: :)

Or you lost a bet :lol:

You asking for some pain here.....

It depends on what sort of climbing you would like to do.

The karkloof 60km outback trails route has 1600m climbing. The climbing is along district roads and forest service roads. You could then do one of the karkloof shorter trails afterwards to make up the distance (maybe another 500m climbing) But you will end up a bit short on the climbing.

Other option is Howick, which is super for technical climbing (Howies, Nyaga Nyaga, The mother). You can also ride trails like dhula ngulube, pines extension and gums extension backwards. Good fun if you feeling fresh. :lol: Our trails are bidirectional. Otherwise the are many other non technical climbs, (six beer hill, porcupine way, yellow brick road, Vodacom Climb) Basically you will be doing an 85km long Enduro :D

If you would like me to plan a route for you let me know, Happy to help

Hi, thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Taking part in a challenge and the climbing is part of that [emoji15] Was hoping to get down to Howick this weekend but now it seems like it is not going to happen. Hill repeats in Gauteng is now the solution[emoji849]

Hi

Me and my family are coming down for the holidays . Is it possible to get a daily pass , and If so where could we get one . Where do the trails start as well?

Hi

Me and my family are coming down for the holidays . Is it possible to get a daily pass , and If so where could we get one . Where do the trails start as well?

Check out their website. All the maps and access arrangements are thre. You can even download gpx maps of the trails for your gps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi

Most ride begin at Greendale Spar and head for Home Jerome, from there its your choice of how far you want to go and how much you want to climb. Most rides head up towards the Fire tower and take any option down. Dont try ride up Pines or Gums to the firetower as they are more technical down lines. There is a coffee shop as well for when you finish your ride.

Also look at Iride africa websit for some down loadable maps. Keep a look out on this thread as well for planned group rides in the holidays.

Jeez I feel like such a weenie......I walked big sections of The Face when I went down there 1st time...... :eek: :ph34r:

I have just redone the Howick MTB Club website... gone for the KISS principle lol!

All info you need is there now... including downloadable GPS routes (only 3 at the moment but more coming soon)

Let me know if there is anything I missed or anything extra you think would be an advantage to have on the website

http://www.howickmountainbiking.co.za

Griff- If we ride Gregs, mother, Mr.nicemans how do we get back without crossing the new gate?

Griff- If we ride Gregs, mother, Mr.nicemans how do we get back without crossing the new gate?

You cant ...unless you bundu bash a bit. We are still waiting for the landowner to give permission for us to cut a new trail around the fence/gate

At the bottom of the dirt rd (in the dip) there it a old rd/track the heads towards the sawmill side. If you follow that and bundu bash a bit you will come to the end of the fence and can then make your way back towards Greendale. Try come back along the embankment as the tar rd is quite busy and people drive like tjops on that section

Assuming that the landowner gives us permission.. we will cut a new track from the bottom of the dirt rd to where you pass the end of the fence and then along the fenceline to the gate. That plan is on standby though till we have permissions

Edited by Griffin