Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

Hi all

Trail clearing is taking place after last weeks hectic winds. A lot of debris has come down so please be cautious of obstructions (branches/trees/ect) and note that signage may have been displaced

There is a lot of trail to clear and we are doing it in sections.. so please understand if the trail you ride has not been cleared/cleaned yet

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nite ride 2nite and it was ok. Bit of debris, but not bad. Thanks Howick. Trails were awesome.

Thanks Percy. Good to hear that things are not to bad.. at least in the sections that you ride. I know there are some bigger branches/small trees down around the Firetower area.Appreciate the feedback

Just a heads up. Night riding on the Howick Trails is carefully controlled as there are operations going on to combat poachers (snares and hunting dogs).  Sappi has private security doing patrols and they are briefed to take any necessary action against poachers.

For this reason we do not encourage night rides (ie anything before sunrise or after sunset) as your bike lights can easily be seen as a group of poachers and the patrols may come after you. Not only has that got the potential to give you a scare but it also takes efforts away from catching the real poachers!

If you/a group are wanting to do a night ride please let us know beforehand so that we can inform the foresters who will then also advise on any operations or warn the patrols that you are out there.

So far we know of the following trail obstacles/debris that needs to be cleared : 

- Pines Trail : 1 big tree across the trail as well as several smaller branches 

- Duza Ngulubhe : 3 fallen tress across the trail as well as a lot of smaller branches (Top section in particular)

- Wattles : Tree across the trail at the entrance to the trail

Please take care if riding any of the above trails (and all other trails). We are getting to the affected sections one by one

Already cleared :

- Eagle Ridge Run

- Harries

- Oopsie Daisy

- Lurker Lane

- Goblins Glen

- Flat Track

- Lurker Lane

- Fast Track Ext

- Home Jerome

8 days = 192 hours = 11520 minutes...

Until the Early Bird 2017 Howick MTB Club annual memberships open :)

post-7405-0-92111600-1474642507_thumb.png

for October only a fantastic deal, only available to new or renewing annual Howick MTB Club members, with post-7405-0-56887400-1474642751.png

Details will be announced on 1 Oct

Edited by Griffin

Trail clearing continues...

- Wattels cleared and tree across the trail removed

- Roller Coaster cleared

Caution : There are still fallen trees across Pines Trail  & Duza Ngulubhe . Duza is scheduled to be cleared tomorrow (extending through to Mind the Gap/Red Face/Rooty Fruity)

Beautiful morning to be out on the trails.. yesterdays rain has left the air clear and settled the dust. It has also left some spots rather gloopy and slippery..please be careful :)

Being cleared today/tomorrow :

- Sheeps (P)ass

- Pines/Gums (to the trail split)

- Duza Ngulubhe (to be completed by Saturday morning)

- Mind the gap

- Red Face Hill

​Also please remember that harvesting is still taking place on the Howick/Karkloof border (Shafton Road area) and access though there is prohibited. There is signage on both Howick and Karkloof sides that will warn you and point you in alternative direction .. please obey it !

post-7405-0-84463300-1475140336.jpg

Its that time again !! 2017 Howick MTB Club annual memberships open from tomorrow on www.roag.co.za. Annual membership gives you access to both Howick MTB trails and Karkloof MTB trails under 1 membership for the remainder of 2016 and the full 12 months of 2017... and for October only all annual Howick MTB Club members qualify for discount from http://www.extremelights.co.za/

post-7405-0-77690800-1475140407_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone.

Chainsaw and I are doing a 55km singletrack ride starting at the Greendale Spar tomorrow morning at 8.00am.  We will be riding the singletrack through Howick trails to the Karkloof club for coffee and then back again.  . Moderate pace.  Climbing is around 900m, You are welcome to join us. 

Sorry for posting this ride so late, we were intending to road ride, but have changed our minds and want to mtb instead :thumbup:

Edited by blondeonabike

Anyone riding down Zig Zag  and want to turn into Bonga Bonga please be careful if you going at speed. Its flippen sketchy on the corner. Unless you havent kissed your ass in a while or are looking for KOMs, then hammer it properly into the corner. :ph34r:

Weather looking mizzz tomorrow.

You right.... up till eight am the forecast for rain is 50/50.  After that it drops to 20% for the rest of the day, and then showers predicted for evening.  15 degrees for the day is comfortable riding temperature. 

The trails will be a bit wet, but this is mountainbiking.  :P 

Are you coming? :D

Anyone riding down Zig Zag  and want to turn into Bonga Bonga please be careful if you going at speed. Its flippen sketchy on the corner. Unless you havent kissed your ass in a while or are looking for KOMs, then hammer it properly into the corner. :ph34r:

Sketchy cause its slippery ..or is there some maintenance that needs to be done at this spot ?

No its the green goblin snot lying thick on the ground. I see you guys got your work cut out for you after the storm. Thanks for what you've accomplished already.