Review: Lyne Contour Dropper Seatpost

Matt

It's not the drop so much as the post length I needed. At about 88kg in riding kit I like to have more than the minimum 100mm of post in the seat tube. Hightower has a low top tube and short seat tube so it needs a lengthy post. Those that fit tend to have 150mm drop.

125mm Reverb dropper on my Tallboy LT was plenty.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Makes sense.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lyne 150mm post is 455mm total length, is that too short?

No, its long enough but sadly not available in 31.6mm with internal routing.....yet. I dare say the range will fill out in time

No, its long enough but sadly not available in 31.6mm with internal routing.....yet. I dare say the range will fill out in time

Ah...well that's not a problem...a Fanta can cut and folded twice makes a perfect shim...the thickness varies between about 0.31 and 0.33mm...Made one to put my 30.9 Reverb into my 31.6 Vitus frame.

Ah...well that's not a problem...a Fanta can cut and folded twice makes a perfect shim...the thickness varies between about 0.31 and 0.33mm...Made one to put my 30.9 Reverb into my 31.6 Vitus frame.

eish...ja...shims.

BTDT.....creak creak creak with a rust-prone (i.e. expanding) steel shim in my carbon frame. It can work but no thanks.

Sadly if Lyne had come to the market sooner with the right sized post I could have saved over R2k on the Transfer. My loss.

Although happy with the Reverb Stealth on my old bike I don't see them selling too many more posts at those crazy prices now that decent competition has arrived. Transfer is half the price of a Stealth and its cable actuated mechanism much lighter and more controllable. The Lyne is half the cost again and using similar mechanism - cable actuated hydraulic post. It removes all the hassle of internally routing hydraulic lines and then bleeding them. Much better.

They deserve to do well .... the timing just wasn't right for me.

Edited by JXV

eish...ja...shims.

BTDT.....creak creak creak with a rust-prone (i.e. expanding) steel shim in my carbon frame. It can work but no thanks.

Sadly if Lyne had come to the market sooner with the right sized post I could have saved over R2k on the Transfer. My loss.

Although happy with my Reverb Stealth I don't see them selling too many more posts at those crazy prices now that the competition has arrived. Transfer is half the price of a Stealth and its cable actuated mechanism much lighter and more controllable. The Lyne is half the cost again and using similar mechanism - cable actuated hydraulic post. It removes all the hassle of internally routing hydraulic lines and then bleeding them. Much better.

No creak creak creak if you lube it :P

Timing is always a prob :( Sigh

I reckon it veers to the left thanks to all the added weight on the left side of the bar. Maybe at least mount your GPS on the right. If not for your sake, then for ours.

Tested it out today.

Works nicely.

Too cluttered: Nope not in the slightest. Having opposable thumbs helps too.

Veering to the left: Only when the fast okes want to pass.[emoji48]

Dropper posts are imo, worthwhile. Very happy with Lyne option. Only 105mm drop on the 27.2mm but definitely makes a difference.

• 2 months later...

eish...ja...shims.

Although happy with the Reverb Stealth on my old bike I don't see them selling too many more posts at those crazy prices now that decent competition has arrived. Transfer is half the price of a Stealth and its cable actuated mechanism much lighter and more controllable. The Lyne is half the cost again and using similar mechanism - cable actuated hydraulic post. It removes all the hassle of internally routing hydraulic lines and then bleeding them. Much better.

For the record JXV, have used a shim supplied by Lyne on my tallboy 3. This enabled the use of the Lyne 30.9mm diameter dropper post (150mm travel, internal routing) in my 31.6mm seatpost. 

For the record JXV, have used a shim supplied by Lyne on my tallboy 3. This enabled the use of the Lyne 30.9mm diameter dropper post (150mm travel, internal routing) in my 31.6mm seatpost. 

Just make sure anti-seize was used. 

Anybody else looking for a 27.2mm externally routed dropper post?

If the demand is high enough I trust our friends at Lyne will consider bringing one out.

I really want a dropper post but am not overly keen on drilling into the bike frame to accommodate internal routing.

If you are interested let's ask Lyne.

I would also really prefer a 27.2mm external routed dropper than drilling a hole in my frame.

Anybody else looking for a 27.2mm externally routed dropper post?

If the demand is high enough I trust our friends at Lyne will consider bringing one out.

I really want a dropper post but am not overly keen on drilling into the bike frame to accommodate internal routing.

If you are interested let's ask Lyne.

Yes, Momsen can't route internal

I must say, the fashionable 150mm drop for new posts seem awesome, but is it really needed? 

I rode a Fox Doss with 40mm and 100mm drop options, and found that for most Enduro type riding, I would actually only drop the 40mm, since I can still pedal sitting down on pedally sections, but it gives plenty of room on descents.

On my new rig I have a new Giant Post with 100mm infinite travel adjust, and sure I use all 100mm most of the time, but that seems plenty - more than enough, have not once felt that I need more.  I will burn a hole in my shorts with my rear tyre before my seat is a problem.

So 150mm - is it just super #enduro or really needed? What trails do you ride that necessitates half a foot of seat droppage?

I must say, the fashionable 150mm drop for new posts seem awesome, but is it really needed? 

I rode a Fox Doss with 40mm and 100mm drop options, and found that for most Enduro type riding, I would actually only drop the 40mm, since I can still pedal sitting down on pedally sections, but it gives plenty of room on descents.

On my new rig I have a new Giant Post with 100mm infinite travel adjust, and sure I use all 100mm most of the time, but that seems plenty - more than enough, have not once felt that I need more.  I will burn a hole in my shorts with my rear tyre before my seat is a problem.

So 150mm - is it just super #enduro or really needed? What trails do you ride that necessitates half a foot of seat droppage?

All of them...the point is this...

Is there any detriment to dropping the saddle further? Not in my mind. So why pay money for a 100mm drop post when you can pay the same for the 150mm one which is far more versatile?

When it gets very steep you notice the lack of travel. I would struggle to go back to my 125mm dropper.

That's nonsensical.

On my new rig I have a new Giant Post with 100mm infinite travel adjust, and sure I use all 100mm most of the time, but that seems plenty - more than enough, have not once felt that I need more. I will burn a hole in my shorts with my rear tyre before my seat is a problem.

Put it this way. If there wasn't a kink in my seat tube, I'd be rocking a 175mm dropper with a slim saddle. Going from a 150 back to 125 was a bit of an eye opener. Had the 125 on the new reign for about 3 weeks and went back to a 150