I hope a PPA member at the AGM calls or a vote of no confidence in the full committee. I think the case has become stronger now that only 2 of the 6 current committee members are still willing to stands - show that PPA committee has gone astray. 

Just for my understanding - what would be the point of a vote of no confidence in the committee if 4 of the 6 are leaving anyway?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for my understanding - what would be the point of a vote of no confidence in the committee if 4 of the 6 are leaving anyway?

The committee consists of 12 members. Each year only 6 are re elected - not so long ago it was all 12. The 2 still standing still have to get enough votes to remain on the committee - they may get voted off. So at least 6 of the committee of this past year will still remain.

I hope a PPA member at the AGM calls or a vote of no confidence in the full committee. I think the case has become stronger now that only 2 of the 6 current committee members are still willing to stands - show that PPA committee has gone astray. Not too mention the PPA membership is apparently still a couple of thousand down.

The reason for the constitution been changed a few years back to only 6 been re elected every 2 years was due to the fact that PPA had a large sum of cash. this is no longer the case as the large sum of cash is now at arms length to the committee and in the PPA trust. Thus there is no reason for the full committee not been up for re election. The constitution ideally should be changed back to what is was.

If this should happen then the vote should be done at a later date along with a new list of nominations by the members at that time.

Peter.

You seem to be slightly completely besotted with this dead horse.

Can I suggest that, instead of wasting your energy here trying to get other people to make the changes you so desperately want, you become a member of PPA again, and do what needs to be done. Vote. Ask for a no-confidence thingammybob. Get on the committee. Change things.

The more you rant here, without actually doing anything constructive, the more diluted your message becomes. You are sounding bitter, man. That doesn't do anybody any good. Especially you. Enough with the whining, already.

Get involved. I know you have done it before. But that is no reason not to go there again. You have the enthusiasm, the time and the experience to make a difference, I am confident of that. 

If you can't, or won't get involved again, can I suggest just letting it go before it kills you? Or us. 

40 years ago their were no MTB bikes in RSA - you are a 100% right it was a protest ride - to show / gain awareness for road cyclist be them commuters or sport cyclist.

For PPA to be redirecting income generated from Cape Town cycle tour to MTB trail instead of using these fund for to ensure better road to cycle on (be it canvasing gov etc) is fundamentally mis - appropriating fund.

Our road need work for them to be safe to cycle on. The cycle path need work to make them suitable for all - even the current ones under construction in Constantia / Kedal road and Firgrove way are not suitable for all but a few design changes would make them suitable for all - but PPA seems more interested in MTB trails than government funded cycle paths. As per my post earlier in this track - letter sent to PPA page 10.

Whoa there tiger, misappropriation is quite a word to throw out there unless you have concrete proof of wrongdoing rather than just disagreeing on policy or direction.

Peter.

You seem to be slightly completely besotted with this dead horse.

Can I suggest that, instead of wasting your energy here trying to get other people to make the changes you so desperately want, you become a member of PPA again, and do what needs to be done. Vote. Ask for a no-confidence thingammybob. Get on the committee. Change things.

The more you rant here, without actually doing anything constructive, the more diluted your message becomes. You are sounding bitter, man. That doesn't do anybody any good. Especially you. Enough with the whining, already.

Get involved. I know you have done it before. But that is no reason not to go there again. You have the enthusiasm, the time and the experience to make a difference, I am confident of that. 

If you can't, or won't get involved again, can I suggest just letting it go before it kills you? Or us. 

Excellent advice!!!

PPA Annual Financial Statements, unaudited, have been issued. On the PPA website.

Not looking good and rosy. With some glaring errors and even restatements in the comparatives.

Income down.

post-35786-0-99779000-1474092907_thumb.jpg

Overhead up.

post-35786-0-92377400-1474092981_thumb.jpg

Support of cycling down.

post-35786-0-38638000-1474093020_thumb.jpg

It would appear from the AFS that membership numbers have halved. But when I compares the comparatives to 2015 Audited AFS the income from CTCTT and membership subscriptions have been swapped. Sloppy attention to detail.  But membership subscriptions are down on 2015 anyway if I put the numbers in the right line.

Income is down by 5K short of R4 million.  Admittedly the income form the CTCTT is out of the control of the PPA ExCo. Or is it with PPA nominating 6 of the 12 CTCTT Trustees? And the main man at the cycle tour is a PPA ExCo member. But membership is totally in the control of the PPA.

Overhead is up by R1,5 million. A whopping 40.89% increase. Salaries up R1,2 million. That is a HUGE 52.36% increase for an organisation that earned less than a year ago, has less support of road racing than 5 years ago and has less members that a year ago.

Put differently, salaries take up 96.9% of membership subscriptions (or 93.7% if I read the wrong line). This is a frightening number and hardly reflects an association that is being well managed by the CEO or controlled by ExCo.

The fact that 4 members of ExCo, 3 of them long standing members, have not accepted re-nominations this year speaks volumes about who is in control and how the association is being run.

What is going to change to keep the PPA relevant to cycling?

PPA Annual Financial Statements, unaudited, have been issued. On the PPA website.

Not looking good and rosy. With some glaring errors and even restatements in the comparatives.

Income down.

PS0844.jpg

Overhead up.

PS0842.jpg

Support of cycling down.

PS0843.jpg

It would appear from the AFS that membership numbers have halved. But when I compares the comparatives to 2015 Audited AFS the income from CTCTT and membership subscriptions have been swapped. Sloppy attention to detail. But membership subscriptions are down on 2015 anyway if I put the numbers in the right line.

Income is down by 5K short of R4 million. Admittedly the income form the CTCTT is out of the control of the PPA ExCo. Or is it with PPA nominating 6 of the 12 CTCTT Trustees? And the main man at the cycle tour is a PPA ExCo member. But membership is totally in the control of the PPA.

Overhead is up by R1,5 million. A whopping 40.89% increase. Salaries up R1,2 million. That is a HUGE 52.36% increase for an organisation that earned less than a year ago, has less support of road racing than 5 years ago and has less members that a year ago.

Put differently, salaries take up 96.9% of membership subscriptions (or 93.7% if I read the wrong line). This is a frightening number and hardly reflects an association that is being well managed by the CEO or controlled by ExCo.

The fact that 4 members of ExCo, 3 of them long standing members, have not accepted re-nominations this year speaks volumes about who is in control and how the association is being run.

What is going to change to keep the PPA relevant to cycling?

That salaries number needs a bit of explaining. Gees.

Even more reason why members should go to the AGM, ask the difficult questions, listen to the replies and opposing arguments, make up their minds and VOTE!

According to PPA website the following nominations have been received for election as ExCo members, stated with the nominee:

Abbas Harris   Proposed by: Ashley Paulse

Billy Wassermann   Nominated by: Roy Hannington PPA ExCo member

Galiema Harris   Nominated by: Monique Dean

John Gale   Nominated by:  Rens Rezelman PPA ExCo member

Kirsten Wilkins   Nominated by: Gordon Laing PPA ExCo member

Rodney Beck    Nominated by: Steve Hayward PPA ExCo member

Sharief Peters   Nominated by: Craig Bell

Zaakier Jacobs  Nominated by: Steve Hayward PPA ExCo member

Eight nominees for 6 positions.

Study the list carefully. 5 of the 8 nominations are made by existing PPA ExCo members.

Returning these candidates just perpetuates the malaise in the association which lost R1.4 million last year and paid 96% of membership subscriptions out as salaries.

My recommendation would be to vote for new blood. Vote for only the 3 candidates who are not nominated by the "regime", their history in cycling, work in the clubs and interest in road events cannot be disputed.

The 3 are:

Abbas Harris
Galiema Harris

Sharief Peters

All have been active in the road scene and bringing on cyclists for years.

John Gale of Smooth Knobblies is the current treasurer but is a CA and is, I am told, doing a good job.  Despite a few basic errors in the published accounts. But that is most likely management, not the treasurer.  And if he is not elected he will just be appointed by ExCo anyway.

I would add Rodney Beck because of his club background but he has been nominated by the Chairman.

That's 5. I would stop there and let the other members vote for who fills the last position rather than nominating a person.  It is not compulsory to vote for 6 candidates.

Just look at who nominated the other 3 candidates to see who ExCo would prefer to come on board.

Reading the annual reports it's hard to see what the members elected last year and the returning nominations have done. Apart from lose R1.4 million. And pay 96% of membership subscriptions out as salaries.

Thanks for the info Carbon29er, skipping Killarney to go and vote on Wednesday. I hope more hubbers concerned about the future of road events in CT will do the same!

Thanks for the info Carbon29er, skipping Killarney to go and vote on Wednesday. I hope more hubbers concerned about the future of road events in CT will do the same!

Is Wednesday not to early? :whistling:

I have Thursday in my calendar.

Is Wednesday not to early? :whistling:

I have Thursday in my calendar.

Haha! At least on Wednesday those okes will then get 100% of the votes  :whistling:

If Andrew Wheeldon's name should make it to the nomination form I would suggested adding his name to carbon29er list

Andrew Wheeldon's name has not been added to the nominees for ExCo elections at Thursday's election.

Don't forget that this is our one chance a year to make a difference to how road cycling gets treated by PPA.

And for once there are 3 very strong club linked candidates standing for election, not the usual "I do this or that for cycling" or "I promise to do this or that for cycling then do (insert EFF youtube video here) for cycling".  They have a track record working for cycling in communities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltEzhvqr7do

There is some really aggressive marketing / campaigning on this thread feels like the Trump / Clinton debacle in the States........something you have the full right to do.

words like "regime", etc are really big words....but then again they are only words right?

I recall why I left the PPA many years ago, and that was because the PPA were not looking after the MTB riders. They were happy to accept my money back then though.

That's me, over and out.

Tonight is the AGM.

For any members going I think the question should be put to the 4 members of the EXCO who are no longer willing to standing - why they have chosen no longer to stand?

I received a email from one of these EXCO members earlier this month stating stating "The current PPA budget shows all trust funds will be deleted within the next 3 years on PPA overheads. Membership down again, Cycle Tour income down and office overheads up, not a good picture looking forward.” Pleas ask if this is true / valid view?

Another question I would like to have asked to the member of the EXCO who have been on the committee for a number of years is  - were Events like the Giro del Capo (which cost PPA money - which was the re allocated to trust find) drop in order to pay PPA overheads for just 3 years?

Archived