Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great ride on Sunday. First timer so it wasnt really great it was painful as hell! But overall I really enjoyed it. Saw some friendly riders out there but also some not so friendly ones. I overtook a couple on MTBs on a hill and gave a cheery (or what I thought was cheery) hello. I just got stared at and ignored. Was on the road a bit further up sorting out a mechanical and they both rode passed without saying a word. They just shared a laugh. Not sure what etiquette is on the road but I assumed it was like running when you greet each other? Doesnt really matter though it was a great day I'll be out there again!

Without wanting to start a thing. The guys who ride SBR on their MTBs tend piss on people's batteries.

Also, remember every second cyclist at SBR thinks that they are Chris Froome and don't like being passed.

Ignore the dicks, keep passing them, I promise you that grates their tits more than anything else.

Without wanting to start a thing. The guys who ride SBR on their MTBs tend piss on people's batteries.

Also, remember every second cyclist at SBR thinks that they are Chris Froome and don't like being passed.

Ignore the dicks, keep passing them, I promise you that grates their tits more than anything else.

Like in any sport, there's always a bunch of DICKS...When you have these chaps starting to hurt, it ain't gonna bring out there best side...Just ignore and remember why you there. Definitely not to please them!

Secondly, don't be too sensitive.

I'll say hello, and if the other person doesn't greet - so what. It's not going to make any difference to my ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who's going suffering this weekend ? I plan to be there on Saturday... Will be on a matt blue Propel.

who's going suffering this weekend ? I plan to be there on Saturday... Will be on a matt blue Propel.

Sounds FAST :w00t:

Sounds FAST :w00t:

Looks fast too. But that's where "fast" ends.

The engine is running a very mild tune and doesn't have the performance to match.

It's mostly the Witwatersrand group with some patches of the Ventersdorp Andesite. The Andesite is a lava. Greenish blue. There are even some amygdales that you see in the Berg basalts in it. Those white crystal things. Wits group is obviously mostly quartzite. It's all sedimentary metamorphic.

Wits SG is overlain by younger Ventersdorp lavas. These weather to form a clay-rich soil. The valley in which the N12 between Alberton and on past Mondeor is the contact between the Wits and Ventersdorp... Going east, you have sediments (orangey colour) on your left and lavas (usually darker brown) to your right.

What an awesome place to ride !! Didn't push too hard so it didn't hurt like hell, but now I can understand why you guys keep going back for more. First timer, did it in 2:58, is this average or poor ?

Met some cool guys from standerton and rode about half the loop with them, helped take the mind away from the pain.

Funny you should ask. My GF is a geologist and I have ridden around the place with a woman who has a PH.D. In geology.

It's mostly the Witwatersrand group with some patches of the Ventersdorp Andesite. The Andesite is a lava. Greenish blue. There are even some amygdales that you see in the Berg basalts in it. Those white crystal things. Wits group is obviously mostly quartzite. It's all sedimentary metamorphic.

The pebbles could be either fresh deposits but I don't think so. The Bird reef is part of the wits group and it is pebbly when it weathers. It was a river bed almost 3 billion years ago and then over time was turned to rock. It has a tendency to turn back into the pebbles it once was. Not sure that is the actual bird reef out there as it is actually in the Selby area but I use that as an example.

Anyway I'm not a geologist but I find it interesting. Perhaps a real geologist could add more info

So the get your GF to type a answer for us then?!

So the get your GF to type a answer for us then?!

I would have but geologists travel a lot. Working up north of Rustenburg and then at the International Geology Conference in Cape Town.

I have tomorrow morning free and I'm finally over a small medical procedure and a bad cold. I am celebrating by going to the reserve in the morning. Yeeehaaaa.

• 2 weeks later...

So being a holiday on Saturday. I get the day off and plan on hurting at SBR.

Hope the wind doesn't avail itself..

Who else is gonna be there