Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Rode at SBR again today,had a blast, weather was great (although the wind was head on after karee kloof gate), also a new P.B time (on a 29" dueller,hahahaha)

post-42857-0-30343000-1474822855_thumb.png

Loads of people out today, the only downside is,that everytime I go there, I see less game, really wish that there can be some upgrades in terms of new animals ect.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last thursday, I was given a notice to beware of vehicles as they were busy with animal capture. I guess this means even less game. 

They ship Eland out of there. Only so many animals the veld can handle. The largest herd of Eland in the country there. A year ago I saw a herd of Eland of over 100 animals. Never seen that in my life. Never even heard of such a large herd of Eland. What is odd is I have ridden there for years and never seen the herd, only heard about it. Can't imagine where they hide out.

If anyone sees people going the wrong way around please do call them out. Went there last week and there must have been about 6 cyclist going the wrong way (possibly everesting). Seriously dangerous stuff when someone comes at you on those downhills. 

Would hate to see it closed again bec people are not obeying rules. 

Seriously my favourite route. Worth the drive money and pain. 

I see people like to skip the small loop and go straight down the first hill. 

If anyone sees people going the wrong way around please do call them out. Went there last week and there must have been about 6 cyclist going the wrong way (possibly everesting). Seriously dangerous stuff when someone comes at you on those downhills. 

Would hate to see it closed again bec people are not obeying rules. 

Seriously my favourite route. Worth the drive money and pain. 

Is it the first climb at SBR ? I have seen a couple of cyclists skipping the small loop and going down the first climb.

I know its a long shot but is there any way of working around the 7h30am opening time to get started a little earlier? Like can you maybe park outside and ride in on your bike and pay later or something?

Alternatively does anyone have any suggested routes to knock off an hour on the bike outside the reserve while waiting for it to open (and where would you suggest parking then)?

I know its a long shot but is there any way of working around the 7h30am opening time to get started a little earlier? Like can you maybe park outside and ride in on your bike and pay later or something?

Alternatively does anyone have any suggested routes to knock off an hour on the bike outside the reserve while waiting for it to open (and where would you suggest parking then)?

Arrange a sleep-over, I am sure you can start at any time then.

the 7:30 start is late especially now in the heat...

Would be good if they can change it, the earlier hours will also attract more birders and photographers as the chances of seeing more are higher during sunrise.

They open at 7am. But make sure you get there by AT LEAST 6:30 to avoid the q at the (main) gate.

Has anyone parked at the Karee kloof gate and then do a loop? is it allowed?

Yes. GW do it often. I don't recommend parking your car there. Instead, park at the now deceased Boswell Wilkie circus (where the R4V started), and cycle to the "back" entrance (around 10km). Excellent warm-up. Then just ride back afterwards for a total loop of around 80km with over 1200m of elevation gain! 

Edited by mecheng89

Yes. GW do it often. I don't recommend parking your car there. Instead, park at the now deceased Boswell Wilkie circus (where the R4V started), and cycle to the "back" entrance (around 10km). Excellent warm-up. Then just ride back afterwards for a total loop of around 80km with over 1200m of elevation gain! 

Exactly what we do most Saturdays.

The 13km to the gate is a great warm up and the 13km back to the circus finishes off the ride nicely.

What an awesome place to ride !! Didn't push too hard so it didn't hurt like hell, but now I can understand why you guys keep going back for more. First timer, did it in 2:58, is this average or poor ?

Met some cool guys from standerton and rode about half the loop with them, helped take the mind away from the pain.

Definitely not a poor time. Strava will give you the All-Time stats, have a look on there where you've placed. 

Exactly what we do most Saturdays.

The 13km to the gate is a great warm up and the 13km back to the circus finishes off the ride nicely.

Does that gate also open at 7am? Is there usually a queue there too?