Advice needed on MTB brakes

Romulus

I have Magura MT2 brakes on my Cannondale Flash and I don't like them. The stopping power is terrible. Is there anything I can do to these brakes to make them stop better?

If I purchase a brand new brake set which one would you recommend Formula R1R or Shimano XTR M9000?

What is the weight difference between these two?

If I'm going to spend money on a new brake set then I might as well buy the best ones. How's the SRAM Guide brake set?

I suppose it makes sense to buy the lightest and best brakes.

From Pinkbike 29th September 2016

SRAM Guide Ultimate Compared to Shimano XTR M9020

SRAM and Shimano are the current leaders of the pack when it comes to hydraulic disc brakes, and the performance gap between the two companies top offerings is smaller than ever – it's more of a matter of personal preference, like choosing between chocolate or strawberry ice cream, rather than one drastically outperforming the other. Since the Guide Ultimates are SRAM's top of the line trail brakes, it's worth taking a moment to compare them to Shimano's XTR Trail brakes.

Weight: SRAM has an ever-so-slight edge here, with a front Guide Ultimate brake weighing in at 240 grams, versus 250 grams for the XTR Trail brake. Those are the actual weights of a front caliper, lever, brake line, and pads.

Price: Guide Ultimate: $288 USD per wheel. XTR M9020: $299 USD per wheel.

Aesthetics: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm going to give this one to Shimano. The sleek, low profile design of the latest XTR trail brakes simply looks more polished and refined than the Guide Ultimate brakes.

Power: Even though the XTR Trail brakes only have two pistons compared to the Guide's four, they feel a touch more powerful - it takes less pressure at the lever to lock up the rear wheel.

Modulation: The Guide Ultimates have a slight edge when it comes to modulation – the XTR Trail's power comes on a little earlier in the stroke, while on the Guides there's more room to feather the brakes and apply just the right amount of pressure to the caliper. Both brakes deliver plenty of usable, easily controllable power, but the Guide brakes have the edge by a narrow margin.

Consistency: Overall, the set of Guide Ultimate brakes used for this review ended up having a more consistent feel than Shimano's XTR Trail brakes. The last few sets of XTR brakes I've been on have been finicky when it comes to getting the lever to feel the same every time it's pulled, even after being bled several times. The point at where the lever stops moving, the moment it hits the pad, seemed like more of a moving target with the XTR brakes, while on the Ultimates, other than the need to bleed them one time early on in the test period, the lever felt exactly the same every time I grabbed it.

* Note: Keep in mind that this comparison is solely between the Guide Ultimate and XTR Trail brakes – I'm currently evaluating a set of the XT M8000 brakes, and so far they've exhibited a much more consistent feel than their more expensive sibling.

The difference really is so little between the XTR and Guide brakes that it truly does come down to personal preference, so any opinion given here will most likely be based on wich one the poster is biased to.

I can however tell you IMHO that the Magura's are not an option, the Shimano's and Avid's are in a different league. The profile of the levers on these two also have a better feel on the fingers than the Magura's.(if that makes sense to you)

I would lean towards the Shimano's, but only cause I'm a Shimano fan. If I were given a set of the Avids I wouldn't necessarily not use them,unless someone was willing to trade them with me for Shimano's. [emoji6]

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

May as well consider the hope X2 race as well.

Between the Guide RSC and Ultimate I'd take the RSC. Difference is minimal and the price difference isn't worth it imo. Speak to Capricorn about that. He's had both.

Personally I'd consider the Level RSC as well. XC version of the Guide.

So.

Guide RSC

Hope X2 race (Iwan Kemp has a set in FANTASTIC condition for sale - brilliant brakes)

Level RSC

XTR

XTR seem to have internals made of cheese....

I would look elsewhere and also look at brakes that use mineral oil as opposed to dot fluid.

Less corrosive and easier to maintain.

Just my 2c and as we know, everyone has an opinion.

It seems you aren't on too much of a budget so what ever you get out of the suggested brakes will be good. magura mt2's are rubbish....

Magura MT6 or MT8 - the latest versions. Best brakes money can buy.

erm.... NO....

Guides.... for sure - in a different league to Magura plastic

May as well consider the hope X2 race as well.

Between the Guide RSC and Ultimate I'd take the RSC. Difference is minimal and the price difference isn't worth it imo. Speak to Capricorn about that. He's had both.

Personally I'd consider the Level RSC as well. XC version of the Guide.

So.

Guide RSC

Hope X2 race (Iwan Kemp has a set in FANTASTIC condition for sale - brilliant brakes)

Level RSC

XTR

guide rs is also an option - unless you really really need the tool. Free pad contact adjuster... I have never needed to readjust mine mid ride - think I have only done it maybe twice all told - so really RS would be fine - got a set of those on my enduro and ultimates on my xc bike - brilliant brakes indeed.

guide rs is also an option - unless you really really need the tool. Free pad contact adjuster... I have never needed to readjust mine mid ride - think I have only done it maybe twice all told - so really RS would be fine - got a set of those on my enduro and ultimates on my xc bike - brilliant brakes indeed.

agree fully. 

I like the Shimano brakes. I loved my XTRs as they operate nice and silent and plenty power too.

XT is bulletproof and for the money the M8000 is fantastic.

I have not tried the Hope and latest SRAM brakes and that's because all my other bikes are Shimano and use mineral oil. and they bleed easy too.

Totally biased but I cannot fault Shimanos

Shimano XTR ,XT ,Deore ..All the same to me .XTR lever started leaking past the seals and the only option is replacement.I was very happy with avid elixer before and am sure the guides will be superb .My latest bike has deore brakes and work just as good as any of the others  

I've got hopes on both my bikes and they are faultless and from what I've heard the Guides are super nice.

I won't but shimanos again - when they are new they are fantastic brakes, excellent really, its when they not so new anymore the difference shows.