N+1 The third attempt

Gucci

So it's been two years since I finished my last project bike which turned out rather well (see the dog walker write up in single speed section - https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/140980-2nd-ever-ss-build-belt-drive-9er-dog-walker/) it was a very fancy, high end custom belt drive - a super fun eye catcher.

When available and not sick I was cycling 3 times a week just over 30km per time in the evenings from my office in Woodstock Cape Town into town on the bus cycle route then along the coast to bakhoven and back.

There were a couple of things that I wasn't happy with on my build and I started to get itchy to build something else.
I love belt drive and really wanted to build another belt drive but really struggled with a frame, I was chatting to mercer but couldn't wait a year, I chatted to a Chinese company and settled on a design made from titanium.
The problem was that the more I saw these modern cyclo / gravel bikes (not sure of the difference) the more I liked them, my mate was busy doing his first build using a di2 system and a internal hub so I was helping him source everything which really just motivated me to build something too but with gears.

So i settled on the following: (through a combination of how it looks, cost and uniqueness)

Frame - carbon Fibre, internal houses, rigid fork, thru axle. I really like the open gravel bike but the cost for the frame alone made it prohibitive so........after a lot of homework I settled on a Chinese carbon frame from miracle bikes, it's their new model the cx028 - I'm told they are good frames and they come with a 2 year warrenty, it fitted my criteria and also had flat mount brakes - my thinking being that a huge saving here allowed me to spend on the rest of the bike and possibly replace the frame later is there were issues.

Wheels - I really wanted zipp 303 with disks as I think these look amazing but after some further homework ended up with crank brothers cobalt 3 wheels - the new versions are highly rated (lots of issues with the older original ones) and I'm hoping look amazing. (My bike will live in my design office along side my belt drive so has to look the part)

Group set. If I'm going gears I don't want a million of them so settled on the sram cx1 1x11, I'm still deciding on the rear cassette size as I'm going absolute black direct mount 42t front chain ring - I had issues with chainring bolts before and thought this a nice way to eliminate them and make the bike a little more unique.

I found some stunning integrated bars and stem on eBay in the uk - they are pro design and exactly what I wanted.

Seat I'm not too sure yet
Post I'm not too sure yet
Pedals will be crank brothers as these are the only pedals I know and I quite like them.

The wheels have arrived with my mate in the uk who will bring them over end of the month and the frame is about a week from shipping (this will take about a month) then I will order most of the parts from bike24.com in Germany

I'm still deciding if to paint the frame but will decide once I have it in hand - if I do I will do it the same as my Ducati that I recently had painted in a satin grey Matt which turned out amazing.

I will post pictures and updates when I have them.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am needing help with Tyres as I've not done any research on these yet. Something that is good on road but will also hold its own on grass and gravel.

I love Schwalbe kojak but these won't work for this build. Any thoughts ?

thanks guys - for me a bike is more than just a tool, I have to look at it most of the day so it has to be beautiful and I must be proud of it!!! Im hoping this one fits my hectic criteria!! 

OP Timestamp: Posted Today, 00:50

Dude, don't you sleep?

Following this too. I'm wanting to do a Ti touring type CX bike at some point. Love the flat break mounts too. Definitely on my wish list.

OP Timestamp: Posted Today, 00:50

Dude, don't you sleep?

Following this too. I'm wanting to do a Ti touring type CX bike at some point. Love the flat break mounts too. Definitely on my wish list.

His brain is working overtime thinking of his new bike ????????

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Mine should be finished within the next two weeks????

I am needing help with Tyres as I've not done any research on these yet. Something that is good on road but will also hold its own on grass and gravel.

I love Schwalbe kojak but these won't work for this build. Any thoughts ?

Maxxis Rambler might be an option, a shipment has just landed in SA.

http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/maxxis-rambler-700x40-qtr-view-e1458418646807.jpg

Archived